ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's dci 100

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all,

Decided on making a project thread on here finally, partly out of pure late night boredom.

I bought my dci 100 back in December last year after a lot of searching for the right one. Finally found one and decided on travelling about 200 miles to go get it, with only pictures to go on! Luckily it paid off and I drove away with a car I was pretty happy with overall. It had a few niggles, mainly a couple of small dents in the roof at the rear on the drivers side. The brakes were needing new discs and pads too but since I had a set from my previous clio (wont go into that...wrote it off :dapprove:) those weren't a problem. Besides that though the car ran well and got me about 60mpg on the drive home sitting at around 70mph most of the way.

Don't have any pictures of the car back when I first got it, but this picture shows essentially how she looked back in December:

IMG_1557_zpse3360a61.jpg

I started out with a list of mods as long as my arm, and first on this list was a set of xenons and an RS grille. Got a set of xenons cheap off of ebay not long after buying the car, which turned out to be a nightmare to fit because the mounts had broken inside of them. So I decided the best bet was to rip them open, butcher my old reflector headlights and have a bash at fixing them!

IMG_0783_zps6db3e02a.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsc77ae2ea.jpg

IMG_0786_zpse4145969.jpg

After a lot of work, this was the outcome:

Before
IMG_0782_zpsd9b06ace.jpg

After
IMG_0819_zps63e044e2.jpg

Not long after this I got myself an RS grille and some alloys from someone breaking a 172. Ended up getting another set of lights too for only £40 which recently came in handy when one of my ballasts decided to give up. Originally planned on refurbing the 172 alloys and getting them on for summer, but that got sidetracked and will have to wait after winter now.

RS grille fitted
IMG_1559_zps4044dd9d.jpg

Trial fitting of the 172 alloys
IMG_0914_zps1bc501c9.jpg

With summer in full swing, I decided to make the most of the rare occurrence that's known as dry weather up here in Scotland, and give my car a good clean. Spent a whole day cleaning, claying, polishing and waxing the car. Was quite pleased with the outcome, loved how smooth the paintwork was!
IMG_1685_zpsd7926692.jpg

Recently purchased everything required to retrofit cruise control to my car, so I now have a much easier commute to and from work every day! :D
Couple of other little things I did to the car along the way were:
  • Fitting LED interior, boot, number plate and sidelights
  • Mist washer jets off of ebay, 100 times better than the original washer jets
  • Fitted colour coded side strips
  • Fitted headlight washers to pass an MOT (only to find out I also need auto levelling...)

Finally, I've wanted to lower ever since I got it. Picked up a set of Eibach Sportlines and got these fitted along with new front dampers and top mounts. Makes an unbelievable difference to the look of the car and it handles so much better now.

Rear done
IMG_2252_zpsfb749a89.jpg

IMG_2254_zpsadaf0664.jpg

Fully lowered
IMG_2258_zps537c363f.jpg

IMG_2260_zps7de6bbe4.jpg

So that's my car pretty much up to date. Future plans are (hopefully) as follows:
  • Replace timing belt
  • Remap
  • De-cat
  • New exhaust
  • 172 Rear Bumper
  • Respray front bumper and maybe bonnet too
  • Colour code door handles and front bumper plastics
  • Paint upper and lower Grille satin black? (opinions welcome on this)
  • Possibly a cup spoiler
  • Refurb and fit 172 alloys
  • Spacers (25mm front/10-15mm rear)
  • Some Alcantara interior parts

I'm going to try and keep this thread updated as much as possible for anyone that's interested.

Thanks for looking! :)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Makes me wish I never taken the Eibachs off the dCi. Looks well!

Cheers, it was your project thread over on cliodci.net that gave me half the idea's for mine! I'm loving the handling with the Eibach's though, just a shame my tyres are letting me down at the moment. Hopefully make a big difference when I fit my 16's with some decent tyres.

Well i'm dying for a cruise control retrofit and some eibachs, so theres mutual envy! haha.

That makes me feel a little better haha! Fitting the cruise control is pretty simple, it's just a case of finding all the parts. Oh and if you can live without the dash telling you the speed it's set at and whether it's on cruise/limiter mode then you don't even need to get it on the CLIP for it to work!

clio extreme
Just found your thread - smart car - I like a lot!

I have a dC1100 myself, currently its standard bar a set of flatblade wipers.

You may know - as the dCi100 has a disk rear beam, to dci spec dampers fit, or would I need sport rear dampers?

Thanks!!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just found your thread - smart car - I like a lot!

I have a dC1100 myself, currently its standard bar a set of flatblade wipers.

You may know - as the dCi100 has a disk rear beam, to dci spec dampers fit, or would I need sport rear dampers?

Thanks!!

Cheers mate! I'm sure those wipers were one of the first things I done to my car, then it just went from there lol!

I'm not really sure about the rear dampers. I think the sport and non-sport dampers are the same fitment, it's just one bolt at the top and one at the bottom. I think the difference is in the damping, with the sport ones being harder and, well, sportier. I wouldn't quote me on this though as I'm not too sure.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just a quick update on some stuff I've ordered/received for the car.

Came in from work today to be greeted by these, courtesy of G172 on here! Hoping to get these fitted next week and sort out my sticking caliper at the same time.

geha9uza.jpg

Treated myself to a Nilfisk C110 power wash and a snowfoam adaptor too. From what I've tried of it today, it seems a good bit of kit for the price.
Finally, got some snowfoam and a sample tub of dodo juice purple haze wax and applicator pad. £5.95 for the tub of wax and "should do 3-4 cars" according to the label. Bargain! Just need some decent polish now and I'll get my winter detail done!

ubehapyj.jpg

clio extreme
Cheers mate! I'm sure those wipers were one of the first things I done to my car, then it just went from there lol!

I'm not really sure about the rear dampers. I think the sport and non-sport dampers are the same fitment, it's just one bolt at the top and one at the bottom. I think the difference is in the damping, with the sport ones being harder and, well, sportier. I wouldn't quote me on this though as I'm not too sure.

I ordered my new setup from Larkspeed in the end, and they said the sport and non sport shared the same part number, so that's good to know :p Went with Koni sport dampers and H&R Springs!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Small-ish update. Ordered some carbon wrap which arrived yesterday so I did the usual and wrapped my dash strips

y3y5yjys.jpg

Thought about doing the door handles and the gear knob inset too. Not sure though!

Also got the new front discs and pads fitted last weekend and cleaned up my calipers too, hopefully get them painted some time soon. Thinking silver or a really glossy black!

I'll be ordering some PlastiDip this week for the front grilles since their faded bluish colour and white marks from wax are getting on my nerves, will get pictures up of that when it's done.

Finally, slightly off topic, an obligatory snowfoam pic! (Sadly not my car...3.0L V6...I wish!) Love the stuff though, makes washing the car so much easier!

u3eta8u3.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another little update:

Bought myself a Fabia front splitter and some matte black plastidip this week, along with another batch of cleaning products! (Dodo Juice BTBM, Sheepskin mitt, drying cloth, iron x and some Megs tyre gel) :D I highly recommend the Meguiars tyre gel, simply because it's THE best smelling thing ever! :rasp:

Got my top grille sprayed with the plastidip on friday night and to be quite honest, it was the biggest waste of £15 i've ever had! Prepped the grille by cleaning it up and sprayed it. Looked decent when it was going on but when I went to fit it again on Saturday morning after leaving it to dry, it hadn't adhered properly and was peeling off. Luckily that bit's hidden by the bonnet, but even still, I'm not too happy with the overall look of it. Isn't very black looking.

So for anyone thinking of buying this I wouldn't recommend it at all! Folliatec is much better stuff, my mate done his alloys using it and after one coat it looked perfect and was dry in about 20 minutes. No prep work besides a good clean either!

Pic of the painted grille fitted Saturday morning (after 5 coats) :

IMG_2571_zpsc2ecaae6.jpg

Think I'll probably do it again with something slightly glossier looking.

Fitted the new splitter yesterday, which turned out to be harder than I first though. Bumper off job! :dapprove:

All done (with a half decent clean):

IMG_2581_zps1c167137.jpg

IMG_2591_zpsfc99095b.jpg

IMG_2593_zps95b3478a.jpg

Oh, and this happened tonight, not long to go until she reached the old 100k milestone!

b43ca0a5-eee9-43ef-9f0a-a5f8b6c8ebf1_zps7b180043.jpg

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely tidy looking motor there buddy.

Can you tell me which mist washer jets you bought? theres been some mentioned on here before but I can't remember what car they were off.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been a while since I updated this, so here goes. Fairly big update!

Finally fitted new side lights a couple of weeks back, since my cheap eBay ones were slowly dying. New ones are awesome, they're so bright they light up the trees across the road from my house :eek:

Pic of the old ones (left) and new ones (right):

IMG_2710_zps3b0bbc60.jpg

Sticking with lighting upgrades, I fitted an LED strip in the boot two weekends ago. Best £10 i've spent. The standard boot light hardly gave off enough light to see where things were, so I decided to fit the LED strip instead of trying to get a brighter bulb or whatever. I stuck it onto the underside of the parcel shelf and made sure it was sort of hidden. Fired on a few spade connectors just in case I needed to remove the parcel shelf. Quite pleased with the result (need to tidy the wires away though):

IMG_2760_zps2d299778.jpg

Fitted a 172 rear bumper that I got last week :D Always thought the rear of my car looked really sh*t when compared with the front, but now it feels like it's the other way round. Need to colour code the front end soon and get some spacers then get my 172 alloys refurbed and onto the car after winter.

I have no intentions of turning the car into a 172 rep or anything, just the rear bumper and alloys for me. Quite like the look it gives, without making it look like a sport too much.

Managed to get a half decent winter prep done at the weekend there, thanks to some dry and quite mild weather! pH Neutral Snow Foam, followed by a wash with some Dodo Juice BTBM and then dried the car and fired some iron-x onto it. Made a MASSIVE difference to the alloys! After that I clayed, polished and waxed it, using AG clay and rapid detailer, SRP and Dodo Juice Purple Velvet. Finished off with some Megs tyre gel and a bit of trim restoration. Not exactly a huge detail by any means, but didn't have the time/daylight hours to manage anything more. Happy enough with the results, and happy knowing the car has a coat of wax on it for winter. Although on saying that, it's now filthy again after going to work and back today :dapprove:

Pics of car after winter prep and new rear bumper:

IMG_2817_zps38841ab0.jpg

IMG_2818_zpsc81f525e.jpg

Front end looks really s**t there, couldn't for the life of me get rid of the condensation on the bonnet.

Hopefully have a few more updates in the coming weeks for anyone watching this. Plan on getting the front bump strips colour coded and then painting the grilles (and maybe the splitter) using foliatec. Either matte or gloss black, still undecided. Will possibly be attending the Scottish meet this Sunday too, so might get a few pics up from that, hopefully on something better than my phone camera too :eek:

Ideas, comments and criticism all welcome :) cheers folks.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got my front spacers in the post on Thursday, fitted them last night

Before:
nena4are.jpg

After:
eba4y4ez.jpg

And a bit of a better picture from today in daylight!
dade8y7a.jpg

Quite happy with the results. Should sit another 5mm further out once I put my 172 alloys on too. Now just got to get some rear spacers fitted. Rear wheels look even further in the arches now :(

Cheers for looking! :D

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Put a light on the handle inside the bootlid, just as effective but also lights the rear of the car. And it doesn't have to be unplugged when you take your parcelshelf out.

The light i've got lights up a good area behind the car too. I just put it on the parcel shelf as it was the easiest place to wire to since I could just take a feed off the standard light. Couldn't be bothered wiring any further lol. It is a bit of a pain if need to take the shelf out but it's just connected on spade crimps.

Many.
Just flicked through your thread, Slight envy of your 100 horses. Looks good though

How big are those front spacers? Need to be careful with the rears as non sports don't have the same arch clearance as sports.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just flicked through your thread, Slight envy of your 100 horses. Looks good though

How big are those front spacers? Need to be careful with the rears as non sports don't have the same arch clearance as sports.

Cheers mate, the 100 is good but it's a lot harder to find some parts for which ends up being a bit of a nightmare at times.

They're 25mm, going for 15mm on the rear. I didn't realise that, thought the arch clearance on the back was the same! My wheels are sitting pretty far in though so I think I'll be fine with 15mm but I'll maybe measure just to make sure now.

Many.
Didn't realise there was space for 25s on the front of a non sport! But tbh I never played with mine in that form.

15 on the rear might be a touch too much. The arch lip isn't rolled on non-sports, On sports it has a slight roll which gives loads more room (I'd say 7mm). I have a sport disc rear beam and 10mm spacers and had to roll my arches with 195/45/16 tyres on 172 wheels. You might get lucky, but check it first!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, there was loads of room under my arches. Looking at photos, they still sit in a bit further in than yours do on 25mm spacers with the sport setup and wings!

I've never really properly checked the back so you might be right. It looks like there's at least 20mm between the widest point on the arch and the edge of the wheels though. Is that the best way to check or should I be measuring from somewhere else?

Many.
I'm not happy with my fronts tbh, but 30s is taking it a bit far and I'll probs have even more rubbing issues than I already do (Cup wishbones and how low it is causing it to rub the front arch liners)

Get the rear loaded up with people/heavy stuff and check, I found my wheels caught the arches in places I didn't expect at all. Otherwise, leave yourself a few mm's of clearance. I'm still battling mine!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah 30 is a lot! I think the fact mines only on sportlines is helping avoid rubbing. Did you notice an improvement in the handling with your spacers? Mine feels a LOT more stuck to the road but I don't know if I'm just imagining it lol.

I'll try that, hopefully I still have a good bit of clearance, back wheels sit so far in it just looks silly compared to the fronts!

Many.
I'm unsure on handling, I fitted my wide track, poly bushes and spacers at the same time pretty much. Much improved from standard but hard to know what did it the most!

Yeah mine sat the same for a while, looked horrible the front being perfect and back so far in. Now I think the front looks spot on while the front is a little too far under, It'll do though!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm unsure on handling, I fitted my wide track, poly bushes and spacers at the same time pretty much. Much improved from standard but hard to know what did it the most!

Yeah mine sat the same for a while, looked horrible the front being perfect and back so far in. Now I think the front looks spot on while the front is a little too far under, It'll do though!

I initially wanted to do the widetrack on mine but then realised you couldn't on the 100's cos of the gearbox :( Saved me a bit of money I suppose haha.

Nice looking motor

Cheers bud!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Smallish update. Removed the backbox from my car this weekend in prep of the remap i've been wanting for ages. Just need a decat first too.

Started on Saturday by going and getting some pipe from the scrappies and got bored so decided to do this:

IMG_3740_zpsbf113a03.jpg

IMG_3741_zpsff4ed93c.jpg

Bodge jobs ftw! :DGave me an idea of how it would sound at least.

Finished it off today. Started with the backbox and rest of the pipe off the car like so, with the new pipe ready to be sized up and cut:

IMG_3739_zpsd369607a.jpg

A few cuts and welds later, I had this:

IMG_3745_zpsa9d7e1b5.jpg

IMG_3751_zpscf0cd3ad.jpg

And from that, I got this:

IMG_3752_zps1d8b843a.jpg

There's also a hanger been tacked onto the pipe now to stop it moving about too much, but was done after that photo was taken.

The downward facing tailpipe is only a temporary measure just now until I get a cut out in the bumper and get myself a decent tip, new hanger (possibly one of the red solid ones to stop it hitting the bumper once I cut it out), and a piece of exhaust surround trim from a 182 (anyone reading this with one spare give us a PM) ;)

Cheers for looking :) c+c welcome!

Many.
Looks good dude!

Best thing for the hanger is fill a standard mount with tigerseal or similar, powerflex (as per on my car too) splits after 5mins.

What you reckon to the sound?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
That must of been loud as hell having the short one on lol

I loved mine without the exhaust on at all. Just the decat down ppipe lol

Tbh I wouldn't bother going uprated mounts mate, the exhaust will weigh f**k all

Many.
That must of been loud as hell having the short one on lol

I loved mine without the exhaust on at all. Just the decat down ppipe lol

Tbh I wouldn't bother going uprated mounts mate, the exhaust will weigh f**k all

I suggested making it like the first one to be sure he liked it, before cutting the backbox off.

When you're trying to get the exhaust lined up in a cut out perfectly, you want a uprated mount. I speak from experiance.