ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's dci 100

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks good dude!

Best thing for the hanger is fill a standard mount with tigerseal or similar, powerflex (as per on my car too) splits after 5mins.

What you reckon to the sound?

Cheers man! No prizes for guessing where I got the inspiration from lol.

Standard exhaust hanger it is then! Got some sikaflex in the garage, so I'll get myself a new hanger and fill it with that.

I'm quite liking the sound so far, not too loud and the little bit of turbo chatter when coming off the throttle on gear changes is awesome! (think this might only be because the 100 has the VNT turbo though)

That must of been loud as hell having the short one on lol

I loved mine without the exhaust on at all. Just the decat down ppipe lol

Tbh I wouldn't bother going uprated mounts mate, the exhaust will weigh f**k all

Haha yeah it was mental! Just droned through the whole car!

I'll do as Alex said just to be sure, just don't want it moving about and hitting the bumper once it's all sitting flush in the cut out lol

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I know aswell haha, my mount gave up and melted the bumper surround

Its now a proper hanger bar , and a exhaust bush from a vw golf

No of that crappy bolt on bracket anymore, that reminds me , I need to weld another mount to my decat pipe, the exhaust guy forgot to put a bracket on :(

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
This is a good looking machine! What's it like removing the back box? Is there a thread on it somewhere? I've been reading up in the old Gaynes manual about sawing it off without having to remove all sorts of s**t but I'd like to see a thread and have something to follow to the letter before I dive in there with a hacksaw.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This is a good looking machine! What's it like removing the back box? Is there a thread on it somewhere? I've been reading up in the old Gaynes manual about sawing it off without having to remove all sorts of s**t but I'd like to see a thread and have something to follow to the letter before I dive in there with a hacksaw.

Thanks mate. I've not made a thread on it, only got what's in here. It wasn't all that difficult though really, hardest part was getting things to line up and sit properly.

Easiest way to do it is to split the exhaust at the join near the front of the car, then if you can manage it get the whole exhaust out in one piece. I couldn't so I just took a grinder to it, cut it as close to the backbox as possible (can see where I've cut it in one of my pics on the last page) and took it out in two sections.

From there I made sure to always put things back onto the car when lining them up, and just used a sharpie to mark where things were going to need cut or welded, remove them all again and then cut/weld them off the car.

So long as you can weld it's not an overly difficult job, I didn't even need to put any bends in the pipe, although I will be adding a proper tip and cut out in the bumper in future so I'll probably need a bend for that to bring it straight out the bumper. I might make a how to guide for the whole thing when I get round to doing that.

If you need any more info on it though just give us a shout!

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
I've read up about cutting it at the rear in between the two dots, is that the way you just remove the back box and not the whole thing? I was just thinking of using a basic connector and adding an extra piece of pipe (potentially my mate's Cherry Bomb, but hush hush on that one). Not even cutting the bumper, or decatting (just yet).

Have you had any issues with it during MOTs? I've only heard about pikey garages not caring about it, but I get legit tests from a family trusted garage that does things by the book :p
I've never welded, but am I right in thinking you can use a proper exhaust sealant to bond it back together? That's just what the manual said.

Many.
I've read up about cutting it at the rear in between the two dots, is that the way you just remove the back box and not the whole thing? I was just thinking of using a basic connector and adding an extra piece of pipe (potentially my mate's Cherry Bomb, but hush hush on that one). Not even cutting the bumper, or decatting (just yet).

Have you had any issues with it during MOTs? I've only heard about pikey garages not caring about it, but I get legit tests from a family trusted garage that does things by the book :p
I've never welded, but am I right in thinking you can use a proper exhaust sealant to bond it back together? That's just what the manual said.

Diesels only get Smoke tested, no emmissions test, there is a new bit which IIRC says to do a Visual check for the cat, but it you're gutting it, obviously not an issue. Mine passed its MOT in Jan with no cat (or backbox!) with zero problems. Its a non-issue on a Diesel.

Bond the cat back together? No chance, do it properly. Best of paying somebody to do it if you can't weld, If you were closer I'd have done it for you.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Yeah, I downloaded a PDF of the guidelines and only saw a section about a visual check for the cat, but it said nothing about the actual back box from what I saw. I'm thinking I will try my mate's Cherry Bomb, what's the bore of our exhausts so I know which connector to get?

I apologise profusely if I'm asking stupid s**t, exhausts aren't something I've thought much about until recently. Anyway, if an MOT won't present ne with any issues, I'll assign my mate an angle grinder job. Luckily I believe the same guy can weld as well haha

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I plan on getting mine decatted in the near future. I want a proper pipe instead of just hollowing out the cat itself so I'm gonna enquire about it at a few places, I'll let you know what they say regarding the visual checks on an MOT.

Not sure on the bore of the exhaust, I THINK it could be around 2" or 2.25" but I'm not sure. I have my old backbox lying up at my dads though so I can measure it off that at some point this week. I'd probably advise against using the cherry bomb if I'm honest. If you're a bit unsure about it all and you end up f**king something up then it's better to f**k up a cheap bit of pipe you got from a scrappies, as opposed to the cherry bomb. I paid £10 for the section of pipe I got lol and i've still got a few bends and a couple of bits of straight to work with if I wanted to get anything else.

Also for welding it's probably easier to get a section of pipe that's slightly larger than the bore of the standard exhaust. That way you can slide it over and weld it that way instead of having to spend time prepping the ends of the pipe and getting them to sit flush with each other so you can butt weld them.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Cheers bud. I was only going to clamp the pipe in question (be it the cherry that he got for £10, or some nondescript scavenged s**t), and stick a pikey bracket in there. Whatever fits and gives off a note slightly different to that of the standard box, I'll take it. Like I said, I'm not after a fancy tip and notch in the bumper, I'm just after something cheap and a little different :p

clio dci , ren8
Well if all goes wrong & you are looking for some thing different I do have a sebring silencer for a dci clio ;) but there not to every ones taste and they do weigh heavy lol good luck

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another update. Took delivery of a bashed out and rewelded cat yesterday (cheers AlexW) and decided to waste no time in getting it fitted.

Ended up taking me about 4 hours in total, with a lot of blood sweat and rage along the way lol. The studs on the cat for bolting it to the flexi joint on the exhaust were a right pain in the arse to remove. Needed to swap them over to the decat but they were seized in. Once they were swapped it was easy enough to put the new decat on, only took me about half an hour.

Oh and I managed all this without even removing the driveshaft :D Just a note to anyone looking to do it in the future, it's tight to get the cat out, but the gap between the driveshaft and steering rack is JUST enough to drop the cat out of if you disconnect the top left engine mount and pull the engine as far forward as it will go while jacking it up a little (helps to move the oil filter out of the way of the radiator fan and gives you a bit more room to pull it further forward). I used a ratchet strap between the mount and the slam panel to hold it but that was only because I was doing the job myself, a second pair of hands would do the same job.

Now the best part. The sound and performance! Could be placebo, but it seems to have made a decent increase in performance. Massive reduction in turbo lag anyway.

It is loud though...full throttle it's very throaty and a bit raspy, but still usable as a daily for me as it's not much louder than before at motorway speeds. I may end up putting a straight through sound deadened backbox on it though, as I'm pretty sure the loud ass pigeon sounds from the turbo on lift off will get annoying pretty quickly! :dapprove:

As I said, no pics :( but I thought this post would be useful to anyone wanting to decat a dci in the future.

Things are shaping up nicely for a remap now, so look out for some dyno graphs in the near future ;)

Hoping to get my painted rear calipers/carriers fitted tomorrow, so will update with some pics of that if I do!

Many.
Glad it got to you in time.

I've never even tried to do it without removing the driveshaft, I like making things easier.

I noticed a loss of turbo lag, and as my RR results show, more power and torque low down.

I wonder how loud yours is vs mine.

Get it remapped!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I was forced into making it work without removing the driveshaft lol. Used Raz's guide on here and read it completely wrong and thought it was possible to remove it out the top of the bay then when I realised I couldn't I just had to try and get it out the bottom. Getting the new cat in was the hardest part.

I should've really got a RR run before modifying my exhaust. Would've been handy to see what it's done. Feels like it has a bit more pull low down though.

I'll try and get a video of it tomorrow and get it posted. Sounds louder though. There's a LOT of turbo whistle now lol.

Don't worry, it's happening! Need my timing belt done soon, then a remap, so hopefully get it done in the next few weeks!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Can't wait to see the video. I was surprised at how the decat didn't seem to make Alex's black one much if any louder.

Christ I'm surprised you got the cat out without removing the driveshaft, must have been extremely tight then! I used to love my old VW which had the manifold on the front, much easier!

Martin, I wouldn't get an EGR delete. Makes the car run poorly when it's cold and doesn't have many benefits. Decat though ja

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'll try and get a video up later on then guys!

The decat has made a fair difference to the sound of mine. Don't think I have a video from before unfortunately.

Grazo, it was pretty tight! Its possibly to do with the shape of the dci100 cat now I think of it. It's slightly different looking to the other ones with the figure 8 hole.

I've unplugged my egr without any issues. Car runs spot on now, but ran terribly with it connected! Only time it's been connected in the last year was to remove the warning light on the dash for the mot lol

Many.
interested in hearing the video! think im going to de cat and de EGR my 80 daily

Don't de-EGR unless it's faulty, with a bit of ragging sometimes they clear nicely and don't cause issues.

I'll try and get a video up later on then guys!

The decat has made a fair difference to the sound of mine. Don't think I have a video from before unfortunately.

Grazo, it was pretty tight! Its possibly to do with the shape of the dci100 cat now I think of it. It's slightly different looking to the other ones with the figure 8 hole.

I've unplugged my egr without any issues. Car runs spot on now, but ran terribly with it connected! Only time it's been connected in the last year was to remove the warning light on the dash for the mot lol

Mine changed once it was decatted, but that was with no backbox. With backbox, as Grazo said it's not noticeable at all.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
nothing wrong with the EGR in mine i just don't like them, mine was very under powered when i got it turned out the inlet pipe was full of crap thanks to the EGR! looks like ill just have to put up with it if it causes them to run funny!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
nothing wrong with the EGR in mine i just don't like them, mine was very under powered when i got it turned out the inlet pipe was full of crap thanks to the EGR! looks like ill just have to put up with it if it causes them to run funny!

I've never noticed anything up with mine with the egr disconnected. I plan on getting in mapped out in the future too.

Out of interest, how have you set about cleaning that inlet pipe? I've tried scraping it all off as much as I could but it won't clean up as much as I want it to. Does my head in lol! Also tbf, if that's the state the inlet pipe gets in these I dread to think of the power loss from the manifold being caked up! Too bad it's part of the head so can't remove it to clean it :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I scratched my head too was going to do it properly and whip it all off but didn't have the time or the patience so I got a bit of copper pipe that was just slightly smaller than the diameter of the inlet and pushed it down, most of the gunge then went up the inside of the pipe so all I had to do was pull it out and blast the hose down the copper pipe to clear it then repeat again!, of course this wont remove it all and pushed some of it further down, when I took it a test drive after it it was even more under powered then after 15-20 seconds of full throttle a puff of smoke and away she went good as new!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Soooo, as promised, here's a couple of videos of how the car sounds just now. Excuse the s**te recording and wind noise!

Found a clip of before I decatted, so here's a comparison vid of the start up from before and after the decat: http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/s...Cliodciexhaustcomparison_zps1459601b.mp4.html

And a video pulling away, driving by and giving it a good rev! http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/s...eos/Cliodcizorstdrivebys_zps33841944.mp4.html

Sounds a lot quieter in the videos tbh, and the clip pulling away is a bit crap, but it's the best I could manage tonight.
grazo22 Martin_172 AlexW (just in case you's don't see the post :eek: )

clio dci , ren8
Funny enough I tried mine today with the EGR disconnected , when nailed the engine fault light appeared , so put the plug back on . As for the manifold pipe we have tried several things at work with varied results , setting them on fire to carbonize the oil & gunk then brush out with a bottle brush worked ok , steam cleaner worked well . :) the time to worry is when it cakes over No 4 cylinder in the head /manifold . And I would also add that poor oil changes & rubbish oil can cause this problem .

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Funny enough I tried mine today with the EGR disconnected , when nailed the engine fault light appeared , so put the plug back on . As for the manifold pipe we have tried several things at work with varied results , setting them on fire to carbonize the oil & gunk then brush out with a bottle brush worked ok , steam cleaner worked well . :) the time to worry is when it cakes over No 4 cylinder in the head /manifold . And I would also add that poor oil changes & rubbish oil can cause this problem .

We used to have a big beast of a steam cleaner :( it broke, now stuck with a bog standard pressure washer. I'll probably give Martin's method a go since it sounds pretty simple, although setting it on fire sounds fun. Tempted to pour nitro RC car fuel through the pipe and light that lol, then rinse it back out with diesel. As for caking over the cylinder...I'm just gonna hope that never happens! :p I keep my oil changes to 10k miles or less (usually about 8k) so hopefully that wont be an issue

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That whistle sounds like dropping bombs!

True diesel sound! Decat really makes a difference to yours. Would be interesting to see a rr

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Haha I know, the whistle is fairly loud! I was surprised at how little you could notice it in the car with some music on. As soon as you open the windows driving along it's all you can hear though lol.

I wish I'd had a RR result from before I started changing bits. There's a definite increase in torque with the decat. Wheels slipped a little going up a hill in 2nd gear tonight when I floored it. Was a bit damp to be fair, but I'm certain it never used to wheelspin as easy as it does now.

clio dci , ren8
We used to have a big beast of a steam cleaner :( it broke, now stuck with a bog standard pressure washer. I'll probably give Martin's method a go since it sounds pretty simple, although setting it on fire sounds fun. Tempted to pour nitro RC car fuel through the pipe and light that lol, then rinse it back out with diesel. As for caking over the cylinder...I'm just gonna hope that never happens! :p I keep my oil changes to 10k miles or less (usually about 8k) so hopefully that wont be an issue
Thank god I have only ever seen 1 that was caked over the cylinder port it was never serviced or driven hard & the tight fisted owner just kept topping the oil up think it had about 1 change in 90k came in on 3 cylinder but amazingly once clean & a good oil change it ran fine :eek:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thank god I have only ever seen 1 that was caked over the cylinder port it was never serviced or driven hard & the tight fisted owner just kept topping the oil up think it had about 1 change in 90k came in on 3 cylinder but amazingly once clean & a good oil change it ran fine :eek:

Just goes to show how well these little engines hold up. The oil that came out of that car must have been minging! Just reminded me I could do with checking my oil level...not done it in a while

Many.
I think the whistle is louder than mine, otherwise sounds very similar to mine. I like the sound though.

Now get it remapped and RR'ed.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah the whistle is strange. Below 2k it's really high pitched but above that it turns into more of a proper turbo woosh sound. Think it must be to do with the way the vnt turbo works on the 100.

Payday is this week, and I'm off work a couple of days next week. Mapping could come sooner than I thought!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Went to see about getting a remap last night. Tried a place just local to me with a pretty decent rep. Was quoted £250 for a live map on a RR which includes a before and after power run. Anyone know if that's a good or bad price?

If I go ahead with it, he said they could try and fit me in at some point at the beginning of next week. Can't wait to get it mapped now!

Renault Clio DCi 65
Loving the sound of that! Tempted to remove my backbox and put on a straight through pipe. Can already hear mine whistle a bit with decat and k&n filter.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Went to see about getting a remap last night. Tried a place just local to me with a pretty decent rep. Was quoted £250 for a live map on a RR which includes a before and after power run. Anyone know if that's a good or bad price?

If I go ahead with it, he said they could try and fit me in at some point at the beginning of next week. Can't wait to get it mapped now!

where was that out of curiosity?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Loving the sound of that! Tempted to remove my backbox and put on a straight through pipe. Can already hear mine whistle a bit with decat and k&n filter.

Do it! Lol. I love the whistle off the turbo, although I'm still contemplating putting a backbox back on it. Something to just deaden the sound ever so slightly and stop it sounding so echoey

where was that out of curiosity?

SOS Motorsport in Falkirk mate

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's the one. They've been doing mapping for a while now. Think they do mot's as well, although I'm just going on the fact I THINK I seen an mot symbol on their sign when I went in the other day lol. I think the majority of their work still comes from their exhausts though

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That was where I planned on going originally! SOS is about 5 mins down the road from me though, and it's done on a RR too so can hopefully tailor it a little and aim for a set amount of power and torque.

Part of me is saying f*ck it just go full power and go mental lol, but then there's part of me saying be sensible and hold back a little. Maybe 170-180 lb/ft to save my clutch.

How long did your clutch last like that?