ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's dci 100

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's actually harder mate. Difficult to explain...2 secs I'll try and draw a picture lol

EDIT:

c5d422d4be3eec0e05d043bea73ddb9d.jpg

It's a bit like that. Easy enough to connect up the right hand side. Could use a 90 on that and mount the IC centrally, but as you can see on the left hand side, it's near impossible as the hose would have to double back on itself to connect up.

My other option is push the IC over to the right slightly, so I can use a 135 bend on the right hand side, and a 45 on the left. I just can't find a 135 reducer though

Last edited:
  Many.
Well it'll make a good excuse to buy a 182 if it does die haha!
@AlexW where did you get all your hoses and pipework? Ideally I need a 57-51mm 135 degree reducer but I can't find one anywhere!

Its all a mismash of various eBay bits. You'll struggle to find anything like that, Even I struggled with the easier bits I bought.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Do I need to get one of these to be in the club?

On the powerder coating, what are you doing about centre caps. I want to get my F1s done but of course want the centre caps to match. Powdercoaters if of course the cheapest way to change the colour though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its all a mismash of various eBay bits. You'll struggle to find anything like that, Even I struggled with the easier bits I bought.

Yeah, never managed to find anything like what I needed so I've just went for a 90 reducer and a 45 too. Will have to sit the cooler off centre.

Do I need to get one of these to be in the club?

On the powerder coating, what are you doing about centre caps. I want to get my F1s done but of course want the centre caps to match. Powdercoaters if of course the cheapest way to change the colour though.

You certainly do! ;)

The place I took my wheels to painted the centre caps too. They were an almost identical match too. They never done anything about the diamonds on the centre caps though. I'm probably just gonna paint them black or something for easiness since they're a bit shitty looking for now!

clio dci , ren8
I remember that fun on my clio when I got a new intercooler . I fitted the dacia item mentioned in one of the treads on here & in the pics looked like a straight fit but in real life nothing is that simple .it turned out to be slightly larger & the pipes were at a slightly different angle so like your saying I ended up fitting it on the slant & the other problem that you will find is clearance for the gearbox side hose as it runs close to the radiator or the suspension bed as I remember . Good luck ;)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yeah me and Tuturr have it , i havent fitted mine as i got a better one from a jag job i was ment to do.

it's easier on the 80 with the way the standard pipes come to. still, if i get round to it, im re doing all mine in 2'' SS

and with that nissan pump, i might be able to get something special out of this k9k.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This isn't filling me with confidence haha. I'll see how I get on this weekend with fitting it, if I manage to find another hose. Turns out the 45 reducer I had on the order I made from ASH Hoses is sold out. So I'll be a hose short this weekend unless I can find one tomorrow.

On another note, fitted colour coded door handles tonight. Not the greatest of pictures, was dark when I finished, but it looks so much better now.

Before:
a0837382a259c6aca64c7550d3d59bf1.jpg

And after:
6fd5fedad7f4584bb57eb61d4772c0b8.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Silicone hoses arrived today. Couldn't get a 57-51mm 45 degree reducer anywhere, but they've sent me a 60-51mm reducer instead (on left in photo) so that'll be going on tight as f**k with a hose clamp and I'll just hope for the best until I can get a proper sized one.

This is the general layout I'm going for. Hoses will need shortened slightly though.

f770f78c17a65eb008711c73ebab6cbc.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Decided to clean my egr and inlet pipe out today. Started with the pipe, which was minging! Didn't get any photos of it though.

Got these photos of the egr though

a797c2f9e3f7089168528a6e652a1efa.jpg

37a766fd5d7e02d256e860b17c156e9e.jpg

I know a bit of oily residue is normal, but f**k me, that was almost dripping off it. Worried my turbo is on its way out :( Car doesn't use any oil at all though which is the strange bit. Didn't have to top it up at all on the 9k miles between my last two services.

On a brighter note, everything is now all clean, and the car feels like it pulls a bit better.

Many.
How much oil was in the intercooler when you took it off?

It'll smoke before it goes completely if its leaking like that anyway.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
How much oil was in the intercooler when you took it off?

It'll smoke before it goes completely if its leaking like that anyway.

There wasn't any pooled in the intercooler itself, but the pipes were a bit wet. It was just the egr that was like that. Car doesn't smoke at all really, and I've never noticed it using oil. Guess I'll just need to keep an eye on it.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
How did you clean the hard pipe matey? I have found it a nightmare to get everything out and never have done completely

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
How did you clean the hard pipe matey? I have found it a nightmare to get everything out and never have done completely

A really long screwdriver lol. Just used that to scrape all the gunk off the inside of the pipe. Done that as much as I could and then to pick up any loose stuff I used the screwdriver to push rags through and clean out what I could. Didn't really manage to get into the inside edge of the u-bend though, but it cleaned out the rest of it pretty well.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Long time since I've updated this. Been thinking about selling, and have put it up in the for sale section on here (linky link) but I'm not entirely sure if I want to sell it. It's a good running car, has never cost me much to run, and having the likes of cruise control and stuff still makes it an epic little car for the 50 miles a day I do to work and back.

Anyway, I have a few updates! Ordered some LED reversing light bulbs (along with lots of other pointless s**t) one night while off work at Christmas, simply out of boredom. Got them fitted a week or so back after they took forever to arrive (from China, obviously).

These were what I ordered: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121481123769

And here's how they look on the car (left is LED bulb, right is normal bulb):
IMG_20150119_163004_zpsl3b0h8qq.jpg

They're quite impressive. Still really visible during the day too. At night though, they're just awesome.
IMG_20150119_170329_zpsi1plynwc.jpg

Besides that, there's not been much...car hit 120k the other day!
IMG_20150126_170258_zpsvfoksiy1.jpg

Got it MOT'd as well this week as it was due at the end of the month. Failed on excessive play in the nearside track rod end, so just got them to keep it, sort it, and retest it. Garage charged me 0.4hrs labour for it, coming in at a grand old £19.20, plus the cost of the TRE. Impressed with that tbh as there's far too many local garages nowadays who would just round that up to 1hr to grab a bit of extra money. With that sorted, it passed with an awesome result on the smoke test too, coming in at less than 1.00m-1, so well below the limit for turbo diesel cars.

Anyways, if the car sells, that'll be about it for this thread. If not though, I'll try and make the updates a bit more exciting when the better weather comes in!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Don't sell it. The saving owning a diesel is so good that doing a long commute in anything more juicy is like being robbed. My 182 only really worked for me when I had the DCI as my run about so you'll regret it!

Bargain on the TRE!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm in two minds. Was offered a half decent price on a Mk5 Golf GT Tdi, which was the main reasoning behind selling, simply to have something a bit more refined to commute in but I like the fact that this is costing me next to nothing to run at the moment. The loan I got to buy it in the first place is pretty much gone as well, so that makes it even cheaper. Besides fuel, and the occasional ball joint/track rod end taken prisoner by the atrocious roads next to my work, it's costing me very little to run. I think I would regret selling but the temptation to get something more refined and comfortable is always there!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm in two minds. Was offered a half decent price on a Mk5 Golf GT Tdi, which was the main reasoning behind selling, simply to have something a bit more refined to commute in but I like the fact that this is costing me next to nothing to run at the moment. The loan I got to buy it in the first place is pretty much gone as well, so that makes it even cheaper. Besides fuel, and the occasional ball joint/track rod end taken prisoner by the atrocious roads next to my work, it's costing me very little to run. I think I would regret selling but the temptation to get something more refined and comfortable is always there!
I have exactly the same with a mk4 so understand that dilema, especially the refinement part. Had a long run in a 325d recently and it was the most relaxing 200 miles ever, not like the Clio which makes me feel stressed!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I have exactly the same with a mk4 so understand that dilema, especially the refinement part. Had a long run in a 325d recently and it was the most relaxing 200 miles ever, not like the Clio which makes me feel stressed!
Yeah, I've been looking into BMWs too actually. Was looking at 123d coupe's for ages. I really like them, would make such a difference commuting in something like that, but they're holding a good premium over the hatchback 1 series' and the well specced ones in my budget are all higher mileage than I would like!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah, I've been looking into BMWs too actually. Was looking at 123d coupe's for ages. I really like them, would make such a difference commuting in something like that, but they're holding a good premium over the hatchback 1 series' and the well specced ones in my budget are all higher mileage than I would like!
I feel our brains are connected in some way. I had a look at 318d edition m sports but all were still holding their money a little too well so I decided to keep my money lock away to prevent an I pulse purchase! Those 1 series coupes in good spec are like rock horse plops or as you say are moon mileage.

Have you got a sport carpet in yours? That will make it quieter on the motorway definitely. The difference in sound between my 2 clios at speed is very big.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol! I think my biggest problem is the fact I want the 123d. If I settled for a 120d I'd have loads of choice, but the 123d just appeals more to me for some reason. Found one about 20 miles from me the other day and it was perfect, all bar the cream leather interior!

Nope I don't think so, I never even thought that could make a difference, I take it it's thicker or something? I think if I keep the car a full sport interior could be an idea. Tempted to put the seats from the 172 into it, but I'm not sure if the ph1 blueish colour leather will look out of place.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Set out today to clean the car up and get some photos of selling it. Ended up machine polishing the headlights and bonnet and completely neglected the inside!

Got a few pictures of the headlights though, they weren't hazed before by any means, but they had loads of little scratches in them from when I'd done a terrible job with a 3M kit, as you can see.
IMG_20150201_131636_zpshap6nmcp.jpg

IMG_20150201_131716_zpscfgj8qpr.jpg

IMG_20150201_131604_zpsnandwlua.jpg

^not in THAT bad condition to start with, but as said, the scratches were annoying me.

Aaaanndd drivers side done:
IMG_20150201_132653_zpsvky5lh8b.jpg

Then for some reason I forgot to take any actual close up photos of them finished, so this is all I've got:
IMG_20150201_140802_zpsfyeshb7n.jpg

Considering there were only a few scratches on the lenses, the difference is night and day! Done all this at my mates house, and when I was driving home the beam cut-off was so much sharper. Could really notice it when it was reflecting on signs at the side of the road. Sealed the lights with some Autofinesse Tough Coat for now, will strip that back off and coat them with DLux at some point when I know I'll have a 24hr dry period though. Bonnet also got a layer of tough coat, with Poorboys Black Hole applied beforehand. Don't know how well Tough Coat works on top of a glaze but it's all just practice at the moment really!

Few more pictures, trying out the HDR feature on my phone. Excuse the missing rear centre caps lol.

IMG_20150201_140834_zps7xi4pzus.jpg

^^can really see how flatted the paint on that corner of the front bumper is in that photo. Only thing letting the car down really.

IMG_20150201_140849_zpsxs6sgukd.jpg

IMG_20150201_140902_zpsmwgkhqoo.jpg

Went round all the plastics with AF Revive after I took the photos. After cleaning it today, I don't know if I even want to sell it any more! Still comes up so well for a 120k mile car.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll regret selling them.

Pure reason I have both of mine still..
I think I probably will end up keeping it...still undecided for now though.

If I do keep it though I'll probably throw a bit more money into the interior. A snappy refurb and 182 interior with a set of recaro's would be ace, but I can't see me spending the money on them. I am badly in need of the steering wheel refurb though!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
headlights came up tip top. Need to do mine like that at somepoint! What compound did you use?

ps you want a 123d because the numbers are in a row, it pleases the mind.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
headlights came up tip top. Need to do mine like that at somepoint! What compound did you use?

ps you want a 123d because the numbers are in a row, it pleases the mind.
I'm sure it was Menzerna 203s, which is now named PF2400. Started off with what I think was a white CG Hex pad (it's so old and used I'm not sure what colour it is now lol!) but it wasn't removing some of the marks so used an orange hex pad (medium-heavy cutting pad), and that done the trick. Didn't spend long on them, so they could still be improved but it's so so easy to remove marks from them with a machine polisher. The orange pad actually managed to remove a bit of hazing from the very side of one of the lights as well.

Oh, and you've no idea how accurate you are with that haha! It's the best numbered BMW clearly.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hoping someone can help explain this one. Turned into my work car park this morning and noticed my exhaust had got considerably louder. It had also stopped making the slightly ridiculous pigeon sounding blow off noises that diesels make when you lift off from heavy throttle.

Knew it couldn't be a hole, as the exhaust is straight through anyway so that would make next to no difference.

Came home there and checked it over. No blows as expected, and the VNT actuator on the turbo was still moving, but I noticed the car was a bit sluggish to pick up. At this point its probably worth pointing out the exhaust was a LOT louder.

Then I remembered I'd reconnected my EGR valve for the MOT last week, so disconnected it, started the car back up, and like f**king magic it was quiet again! Lol.

I can't work out for the life of me how the EGR sticking could make the exhaust sound any louder. I did notice though that if I revved the car, the VNT actuator movement was a lot sharper once the EGR had been disconnected.

Anyone shed any light on this?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This is exactly what I had on my car when the EGR valve was busted although I didn't notice any additional exhaust noise though. Swapped it for my spare and it was back to normal again. When the EGR broke I would put my foot down and the car wouldn't increase in speed at all!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah mine has always been dodgy so I've just always had it disconnected lol. Although it's only ever caused me a bit of hesitation at around 2k rpm before, never full on loss of power like it did this time! Only noticed how bad it was when I unplugged it again and the car was so much more responsive.

My theory about the exhaust noise is that the EGR valve was sticking open while on boost. So the turbo was spooling up and pressurising all the inlet pipework as normal, but before it could reach the inlet manifold, half the air was escaping through the open EGR into the exhaust, since my decat and no backbox means there's essentially no backpressure to stop it, giving more noise. I'm assuming the same process would be happening with your car too but with the cat still in, it silenced it a little, or the backpressure stopped it flowing as much.

Tbh if it hadn't been as loud it would have sounded half decent for a diesel LOL! A lot deeper and grunty compared to how it sounds just now. Was just ridiculous though. Easily louder than my 172 when I revved it!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Keep it, or i will abandon you.
Car looks great.

Cheers! You'll be please to know I'm keeping it for now then. Well, either that or you'll go all moderator-y on me and be angry that I still have a for sale thread up for a car I'm not selling :wink:

It's only a diesel, fuckit get it sold. Petrol is so cheap again you may as well make the most of it.
If I had been selling it would have been to buy another diesel LOL! I've got the ph1 for all my petrol related fun anyway. That doesn't mean I'm not about to go and look at what it'd cost me to run a petrol as a daily though...

Audi Q7,BMW Z4,Clio
This is a great read. I too have a dCi100 2004 that is completely standard. It has 238k miles on it, I've done most of them. I'd kill for the cruise control and AC that you have !!!!!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
i don't think i can imagine a dci-less life, ive got 2 dcis and 2 RS!
The running costs are just too good to get rid of! Every time I want to I realise how much extra I'd be paying just for a little extra comfort in another car haha.
This is a great read. I too have a dCi100 2004 that is completely standard. It has 238k miles on it, I've done most of them. I'd kill for the cruise control and AC that you have !!!!!
238k?! That's good going! Out of curiosity, is it still on the original fuel pump and injectors?

Should check and see if your car has the wiring for cruise, its so simple to fit if it does. It's by far one of the best things I've ever done to the car, although it now means that whenever I do get a new car it will HAVE to have cruise control lol! Couldn't live without it now.

Audi Q7,BMW Z4,Clio
Yes it is on the original fuel pump and injectors.

It's had a new clutch at 160k, springs and shocks, cv joints, handbrake cable etc. can't think of anything else the garage has done.

Other than that only small things that I've done myself. Heating fan refurb, dash lighting bulbs, leaking sunroof and what not.