ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Clio 172 Cup

LY Megane R26
Hello,
I decided I wanted a Clio a few months back and was set on a FF182 in Arctic Blue, I then read a few threads that the 172 Cup isn't ideal for a daily drive but is a little more rawr? As I also love the Mondial Blue of the Cup and the Turini's it made me sway towards them.
As I get the bus to work which is over £40 a week cheaper, and only using the car in the evening's and weekends I wasn't to worried about loosing all the accessories and just wanted a quick and fun car to make me smile.

So using the buyers guide and reading about things to look out for I was set on finding a 172 Cup.

After a few weeks of searching I found this 172 Cup on Pistonheads and arrange a view with the guy selling it.
We meet half way just over 50 miles away and after a good look round I offered a price of £3,750 as it was up for £3,999 originally. The guy said thats a reasonable offer and a deposit was left.
2 weeks later I pick it up and as you can imagine the drive back home was rather fun.

Few details about the car;
52 Plate with 47k on the clock, full service history, Cambelt done at 36k, folder full of receipts, had a prospeed exhaust fitted in 2009 and produces a nice sound in my oppion. Apart from that I think its a nice clean standard example.

First job was a thorough clean and once over, I didn't get many Photos as only had my iPhone on me but here is a couple;

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

Cleaned with Auto Glym shampoo 2 bucket method, clay bar'd, polished with SPR, and sealed with Auto Glym High Def Wax.

Next job was to sand down the front lights as they were rather cloudy;
Before
IMG_3007.jpg

After
IMG_1143.jpg

After that I fitted my new 3/4 front plate and standard rear plate that I bought from fancyplates.com

Front before
IMG_3012.jpg

During
IMG_3015.jpg

After
IMG_3017.jpg

Rear Before
IMG_3011.jpg

Rear After
IMG_3019.jpg

I gave her another clean on Sunday and as I bought a new memory card thought I would grab some quick snaps.
IMGP5983.jpg

IMGP5986.jpg

IMGP6014_2.jpg

IMGP6007.jpg

IMGP6010.jpg

IMGP6015.jpg

IMGP6016.jpg

IMGP6017.jpg

IMGP6021.jpg

Its green from the reflection of the hedge.
IMGP6019.jpg

IMGP5980_1.jpg

Cheers for looking,
Hope to update soon:)
Scott

Looks good, nice job on the lenses. That's one of the many things on by to-do list at the moment.

Might have get one of these 3/4 plates too, it's subtle but makes a big difference. I guess the're not strictly legal?

LY Megane R26
Looks nice. Get some silvervisions or some osram diadem bulbs for the indicators, some aerowipers and sportlines. Just my opinion of course ;)
Thanks, I have actully ordered some silvervisions online a week back now which haven't turned up, so need to get onto them! Sportlines are on the list tho! Hope they will bring the front down slight as it does sit rather high!

Looks great pal
Cheer mate

Looks good, nice job on the lenses. That's one of the many things on by to-do list at the moment.

Might have get one of these 3/4 plates too, it's subtle but makes a big difference. I guess the're not strictly legal?
Thanks, They wasen't to hard to do and looks 1000x better! Its not actually a 3/4 plate as thats slightly smaller size it's a 520mm x 90mm. Your right tho there not strictly legal but as its only the front and the car isn't screaming out to the police to pull me over I hope they wont notice:)

172 Cup
looks like a decent example mate. The 3/4 clean plates make all the difference i think, and as said some sportlines will go nicely.

LY Megane R26
Hello all once again,

Haven't updated this in a while as to be honest with you all I just couldn't be asked!
Appoligies in advanced but this is going to be one of them updates where iv done months worth of work all in one post;)

But anyway,
Reading from where we left off I purchased some Sportline springs but never got any Photo's off the fitting process...sorry. But I must say as its been said so many times on this fourms these springs are awesome!

I then decided to remove, shot blast and spray my inlet manifold and plenum, just plain silver.
53f84db5.jpg

No photos of it fitted tho, once again sorry.

Next was to give the brakes a little clean up and paint, just plain silver again;)...Not yellow!
15e3bd54.jpg

Just a random photo I took of the car.
c1549a14.jpg

As you can see I fitted an OMP tow eye and well as a French flag on the grill...Thanks Banderson:)

Somewhere between here I fitted a Whiteline ARB, bought from Jamsport. Once again tho no fitting pictures, you can just see it hanging down in a photo down the page. But this as mentioned thousands of times on here is another awesome thing to do to the Clio!

Now come the interesting mods:)

I decided that I wanted to take the rear seats out aswell as the door cars etc. I would call it stripping it but compared to what some of you do its no where near! So one lunch time, bored at work I cracked on. Starting on the left ISO bolt after two or three turns it didn't want to move any more, ending in me sheering it off. I read alot on the fourm that this can happen so tbh it was expected!
Buy the end of my lunch break I had only drilled out one bolt thinking to myself that it may not be the best idea! So using a nut and bolt I secured it back into place.

I then spoke to Rhys and we arrenged for me to go over one evening and we would crack on with it. As expected the right ISO bar bolt also snapped! So the drill came out once again!
b049c01c.jpg

Tbh with you all not that much happened over the winter, in a way I slightly lost love for it driving it back and forth to work (50 mile round trip) in the rain, ice and sometimes snow. I haden't spend much money on her either as I just tought it was pointless at that time of year!

Anyway I'm back and loving it again!

Around two months ago I decided to treat the car...to fresh brakes all around!
25d80bd2.jpg

I went for the obvious choice of standard disc (inc Bearings) & Pads, Thanks to West Renault!
Ferodo DS2500 front pads, from Camskill as they have a very competative price on these £113 if irc for the bigger, thicker pads.
Brembo HC disc from next day brakes, and they where next day!
and of course ATE Super Blue from euro car parts. (tbh I still havent put this thorugh the system...lazy I know...Rhys?;))

As I work for THE Universty of Cambridge as a Lift Engineer we have to have 24 hour back up for entrapments. This has its advantages as it means 1in4 weeks I get a van for a week so the car is not needed:)
I took this advantage and began installing the new breaks during my week, I done this at work as we have a varity of tools and an ex machnic who is handy if you need a hand. Now apparenlty the big boss was pulling her hair out moaning that it looks like a scrap yard, people where moaning (builders, Plumbers and Sparkys etc, not my men lol) that I was working over my lunch break (I wasen't). Anyway like most managers she didn't have to b****cks to come to me direct and moan so I just cracked on with it and made sure even more I was out there from 1 untill 2.
I got them off and the front pads where a mess, tbh im sureprised I stopped!
1669bc2b.jpg

78711e3d.jpg

While they was off I had ago at lossening the bleed nipples, but of course one snapped!
ca152379.jpg

This caliper was then taken to the Engineering Department and using there best macheist we managed to get it out! I then ordered some more bleed nipples and away the fitting process began.

I gave them all another lick of paint, but black this time, still not yellow:) Tbh tho I wish I never bothered! Waiting for it to dry and cover the silver was a pain!
746bd260.jpg

2a3ba63f.jpg

29ff32c5.jpg

Fitting was finally done, I wish I never done it at work, painted them again or infact took the calipers off atall lol.
But the stopping power is awesome!

A few days after the brakes where done I decided I wanted a new steering wheel, the standard that I was going to replace was infact in good condition, thumbs grips in tack and the usual melting but apart from that it was all good, I just hated the size of the thing! Clio...more like a bus! This has to be so far one of the best Mods I have done to the car!
Of course I went for a Sabelt wheel, bought from again West Renault. I then bought a second hand OMP Boss from eBay and finally botled it all on.
4ddecb24.jpg

68da19c6.jpg

As I said above its such an awesome wheel and modification but they soon get grubby and the suede wheres fast!
Once it was on I noticed my track was out fairly bad, so I took the wheel off again to have a look at how I match up the boss.
e8982716.jpg

It was dark when I fitted it! Now of course I could of just taken the Boss off and fitted stright, but for the life of me I couldn't! Not sure if this is a commen problem?
Got my tracking re done, in exchange for a lift home. It's good when your Girlfriend's brother works at thread first;)

After this I havent done much to the car, odd clean here and there.
55e3ceef.jpg

Sorry for the over edit iPhone photo, was just testing an app;)

I then went to a track day at Snetterton in the middle of March as a Passenger for Rhys and Dan (dmallet). Was an awesome day and I think after the first corner I was bit with the bug!
I was very tempted to try and get on the track in the afteroon as we saw a few people do this, but I'm not overly impressed with the Hankook's I have on the front and I was on the red just as we pulled up.

After coming away from an awesome day I want to try and get the car "ready" so I could just tag along next time we all went. Im my eyes I just wanted some new tyres as tbh the hankooks are awful!
I didn't know weather to get some decent 16" tyres and use everyday like AD08's, 595 RSR or try find some cheap OZ F1's and buy some 15" track tyres and keep the Turini's for everyday use. More on this later;)

On the 13th of March the MOT was due, I knew the car to be seemed sound to me. New brakes, Springs, Braided Hoses, no exhaust leaks etc so I wasen't to worried. I booked it in with my Girlfriend's step Dad who said hell take it to his garage and test it. Which of course I was more than happy about:)
That evening he comes home from work and obviously feeds me the rubbish its an awful car and needs alot of work etc etc. He then said it drove like a dream, the rear brakes actully stopped in the rollers and everything was spot on and that he loved 2nd and 3rd gear! But he wasn't to impressed with the Hankooks as I mentioned and told me that I did have a horn when he passed it;)...I have now btw!

Is it Christmas already?
adcd80e9.jpg

Next I got in the mood to buy some seats and harnesses, after searching around here etc I went for these.
179a62ba.jpg

c116cd8d.jpg

Bought from Poland from Bimarco there self, worked out at around £422 for two inc delivery which took 3 days! Still havent fitted them yet as I'm waiting on sidemounts from YB Racing which should of been posted today. These have taken longer than the seats! There at a very good price £61 a pair, but I should of really gone to Kam or Demon as I'm sure they would of been here by now!
I also bought some OMP Subframes from eBay at £98 second hand but with just a few marks on them.
320ff036.jpg

I then got some Harnesses from Gumtree and of course they have to match the steering wheel.
fe0e1082.jpg

Just cant wait to get them all fitted! Been sitting in it most nights playing Forza 4!

Anyway I'll update a bit later as got to go home now:)

Thanks
Scott

ph1 172
Great write up Scott!

Didn't realise that you still haven't got that brake fluid in yet! Bring it round tonight;)

Seats and harnesses look great, I'm sure Sophie will love them;)

LY Megane R26
Same Dan!

I would of Rhys but totally forgot! Maybe next time we could bleed iit through;)

Haha you must be joking! She refurssed to come in the car to start with! Ain't her car tho:)

LY Megane R26
So, update on the seats!
Rang YB Racing today and they where posted yesterday and should be here today via Parcel Force. Only thing is no one is in at mine, so I think they'll get taken back to the post office for collection which closes at 2 today.
Stupid I know, you get home from work to find "attempted deilvery" cant pick it up that evening as closed at 2pm, most people then can't get it before work as it opens at 8am!

Next problem is...I'm back on call out for another week so I will have to van for a week as of tonight, I was planing on taking the car home tonight and cracking on, but no point as I doubt ill be able to get the mounts untill tomorrow now.
So the plan is to pick the mounts up tomorrow morning before work and maybe bring the car home Monday night and fit them.

Well Thursday last week I decided to remove my front seats, just as I was bored and to make sure I didn't come across any nastys when fitting the Bimarco's which I didn't:) While these where out I also removed the seat spacers while matey at work pretended to be an astrinort!
0a4df28b.jpg

788a6d50.jpg

55540e36.jpg

I wish I removed the seat spacers when I first got the car, but no I decided to do it a week before I fit the Bimarco's! It gives the seat a little better position in my eyes:)

Then disaster struck!
4cd7cee9.jpg

After getting the car back that evening after being on call out I decided to go the back roads on the way home, driving along and a pheasant decides to cross the road in front of me. I don't know why these things run across the road when they can actually FLY!
I pulled over after just hitting it and thought there would be alot be damage than there is, but no it just ripped off the last 20cm of my splitter. So I turned around and possibly thought I might be able to pick it up and fix it.
b35efb75.jpg

Parked right infront of the Phensent took some photo's and then looked all over the road picking up bits of plastic as the splitter was in pieces.
f9db96ae.jpg

Rhy's and Dan will know how dumb these things are around here!

Not sure what I'm going to do about this yet...Skoda time;)

That evening I got in from work, posted the photo onto facebook and then got chatting to JakeyP from here as we live in the same town. Not sure if any of you follow his thread but his gone through about five 1.4 engines and then finally bought a 172 and bolted that into his 1.4.
He said he had some Black 172 Xenons for sale if I would be interested which I was. He said they would need a good clean but as I done it before it shouldn't be a problem. Picked them up that evening for £80;)
Black inserts, all bulbs, Ballast, Ignitors and all clips intact!

Got them home and just quickly plugged them in to make sure they worked, which they did and as you can see tho they are very hazzy!
25fd6ee9.jpg

Picture's of them on Jake's car before I bought them.
458484_10150810686690407_640010406_11704909_1840666213_o.jpg

458295_10150810685795407_640010406_11704906_11337370_o.jpg

477701_10150810688075407_640010406_11704912_1202438442_o.jpg

Friday I popped to Halfords and bought some 1500, 2000 and 2500 wet and dry and begain working on them. After 20mins of sanding I got extreamly bored and decided to get out the DA poilisher and some Scratch X.
0ebd6802.jpg

d4eb9871.jpg

I was extremly happy with the results and when both lights where cleaned and waxed I set about fitting them so the bumper was taken off and old lights taken out.
I then removed the Halfords "Ultra Blue" H7 bulbs, SMD side lights and diadem indicator bulbs and fitted them in the xenons. I did say a friend could have the Ultra Blue H7 bulbs, but when I found out the main beam on the xenons was H7 rather than H1 I decided to keep them:)
Next I had to remove the adjusters from the standard lights and place these onto the xenons as I bought them with no adjusters but I didn't see a problem with using my own.

Xenons where then fitted, tested and bumper was fitted back on, sorry no photos of fitting process.
19890f8c.jpg

3d9c001c.jpg

c109512f.jpg

02c4eadb.jpg

They look alot better than standard lights and 1000 x better than HID's! I hate these things!
People may say there still illigal on my car as I have no auto leveling or washer to clean them, but there not pointing up into the sky and they also wont scatter light all over the place like HID's in reflector lamps! Who needs washer anyway, my cars always clean;)

Seriously tho these light up the road so much better than standard H7 bulbs and look awesome to!

Thats about it for now, untill I finally fit my seats!

Cheers

DCi 80 DieselSport
I don't think having headlight washers is a legal requirement!

Very nice. I personally don't get the whole multi-coloured insulation-tape French flag on the grill though. It's a bit of a craze on here.

:cool:

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Looking really good pal. For some reason I like the french grill bit.....

I also prefer it whem people don't update for ages, then do a big update, so loads of pics are all together. Not, 'put my new air freshner/tax disc holder in today' with pics from six angles!!

320d
Love a cup with Xenons. Really nice example that mate.

Shame about the spillter, over £100's worth too. Get a Fabia splitter, mines held on with that many self tappers the whole bumper would come off before it broke.

LY Megane R26
Looking really good pal. For some reason I like the french grill bit.....

I also prefer it whem people don't update for ages, then do a big update, so loads of pics are all together. Not, 'put my new air freshner/tax disc holder in today' with pics from six angles!!

Cheers mate, the French flag on the grill has got a little tatty over the months so may need some fresh tape at some point.
I'm using the California Scents air freshner in Pineapple fragrance at the moment;) and a Clio sport tax disc, do you want to see some photos:)

Looks good mate, done loads to the car since i last saw it, and it's all the choice mods :) good stuff!

Thanks Lewis, see you went for the Pole Position as your drivers seat in the end? The Bimarco's should be in tomorrow (at least one of them) and I'm going to the April meet so you can finally test the seat but I doubt you'll change your mind;)
Also Rhys said your thinking of doing an evening track day before Nurburgring, when you think this will be as I may joing you out there;)

Love a cup with Xenons. Really nice example that mate.

Shame about the spillter, over £100's worth too. Get a Fabia splitter, mines held on with that many self tappers the whole bumper would come off before it broke.

I'v always wanted xenons but didn't fancy paying £200!, but at £80 and in the same town as me I snapped them up!
Yeah Renault sell them at is a joke! Soda time it is, just got to get round to buying and fitting one as tbh it don't look to bad
at the moment haha!

4 New tyres came today:) Going to run them through summer and for track days and then stick the Sport Maxx TT and hankooks V12 for the winter.

Trafic 140dci
Thanks Lewis, see you went for the Pole Position as your drivers seat in the end? The Bimarco's should be in tomorrow (at least one of them) and I'm going to the April meet so you can finally test the seat but I doubt you'll change your mind;)
Also Rhys said your thinking of doing an evening track day before Nurburgring, when you think this will be as I may joing you out there;)
I'd of liked to, but i can't find one before Nurburgring and i'm changing job next week so bit tight with money at the moment, especially as i'm not going to earn anything for 3 days next week. (Doesn't sound much but self-employed and own house, every penny counts!)

LY Megane R26
Yeah tbh I couldn't find one either, and that's fair enough mate:) Not a cheap day out is it!
There's an evening on the 31st May but that's the Thursday after you get back:/

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Those seats are excellent value for money direct from the supplier, about to order some myself from ebay as well to be honest. Where will you be mounting your harnesses to?

LY Megane R26
Well it's update time,

f7754abd.jpg

There finally in! Fitted them last Friday the 13th and it went very well:)
Started around half 5 and where in by 10, removed the passenger seat first and fitting the subframe to the floor using 12.9 high tensile hex head bolts, for the rear hole near the handbrake I fitted a M8x50mm eye bolt so I could clip the harnesses to this with a nyloc nut holding for a more secure fixing.

As I was using black hex head bolts I didn't want to use silver washer as thought this would be an eye sore againts the black metal, so a few days before fitting I sprayed the washers black at work:)

Now Im not sure if Iv fitted the seats correctly onto the side-mounts so I'll run through the problem and hopefully somone can help:)
I fixed the side-mount onto the seat with the slotted holes at the front of the seat and the fixed holes to the rear (if you understand that?) whichby searching on the fourm a lot of cars have it this way? I then placed the seat into the car and roughly fixed it onto the subframe and with some aid I sat in the seat in the car and it felt high, higher than standard, even with the seat mounted onto the lowest hole at the rear!:/

I decided that to get it lower it would mean to drill a hole further down the mount underneath where I have mounted it at its already lowest position, or to turn the side-mount around and mount it with the fixed hole and the front and the slotted holes on the rear of the seats as shown in the picture below:
d19bb74e.jpg

As you can see this seats the seat a lot lower but the mount also covers up the hole slightly for where the harnesses come through.
I then placed this into the car with the mounts this way around, sat on the seat and was very happy with the position!

Now with the seat this low I couldn't get my hand under the seats to righted up the hex head bolts, so I mounted the seat onto the mounts at the highest possition possible so I could get my hand under them. The mounts where then fixed to the subframe again using 12.9 high tensile hex head bolts and nyloc nuts and homemade black washers.

Now as I said if I fitted them in the position as picture above I wouldn't have much room for the harnesses to go through so I fitted them before I lowered the seat.
I then undone the rear of the seat and lowered it down onto the lowest hole and secured it, again doing this to the front of the seat until I got the correct angle I wanted.

With the seats secured down and the harness passed though the seat holes I started fitting them. As said above I secured the rear handbrake of the subframe down with an M8x50mm eye bolt so that side of the harness was clipped onto that.
The other side was clipped into a M10 eye bolt which was screwed into where the bottom of the front seat belts rail is fixed.
Amd for the rears these where screwed down into where the rear seat belt clips would normally be using the original bolts.

Hrnesses where then adjusted with length etc to get them fitted correctly, now I'll stop rabbiting on and let some pictures do the talking;)

f7754abd.jpg

2e32c61b.jpg

1e5c7178.jpg

deaeef42.jpg

I'm starting to get used to them but first of all they felt very weird, being lower, not being able to turn your body when reversing or checking your clearance with the curb when going through tight places etc.
I also kept sitting in them with the harnesses behind me so would be a nightmare trying to get my arms through, now I place them over the seats and then sit down which makes it a lot easier to put the harnesses on.

I am over the moon with them! So comfy, suportive and look awesome too!

Any feed back on the mounts and the way they are fitted would be great tho:)

On the Wednesday before I fitted the seats I ordered these which came next day on the Thursday and where fitted on the Saturday.
561c1807.jpg

Awesome tyres! Can push the car so much more than the Hankooks I had on the fronts before!
Was at the garage getting them fitted and once they was on I sat in the car and done the harnesses up, lent forward to close the door and couldn't reach it! So with everyone laughing at me I finally managed to reach it:)

I also done it again one day in the week but this time I just reversed and braked sharply which helped me close it:)

This Friday at work I decided to remove my rear wiper, undone the bolt which holds the wiper onto the motor arm and of course it was pretty much welded onto the arm, after a a tug and a pull I got fed up and out came the hacksaw!
767bc137.jpg

And the finished product.
888031a5.jpg

Thats pretty much it for the time being:)

Cheers
Scott

ph1 172
Great read there Scott:)

Wiper off looks much better.

I have fitted my AST's today and oh dear its abit low! lol

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Looking mint mate!! I like how they look, mine should be with me early next week. Are they comfy? Im planning on removing my rear wiper as well, what did you use to cover the hole after taking it off?

LY Megane R26
Great read there Scott:)

Wiper off looks much better.

I have fitted my AST's today and oh dear its abit low! lol

Cheers Rhys! Awesome that there fitted, may pop over tomorrow if I'm free and your about?

Looking mint mate!! I like how they look, mine should be with me early next week. Are they comfy? Im planning on removing my rear wiper as well, what did you use to cover the hole after taking it off?

They are really comfy mate! Haven't got miles but back and forth to work all week at 50 miles a day and no back pain at the end of the week:)
Did you see where I mounted the harnesses to as I see you asked a few posts back?

I just used a grommet from work mate, not sure on the size but fit perfect. I'm sure a hardwear shop would sell some, or I believe someone said halfords sell some and one of them will fit it:)
Makes the back end look more mean in my eyes, and I hate the line they leave between the clean and dirty part of the screen!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I noticed where you put them, are the lower staps actually connected to an eye bolt thats attached to the subframes? Thanks for the info, did you just glue it on? I must agree it looks much better without!

ph1 172
Sure mate, I am about all day. Need to adjust the height on them then take it for a spin then fit the arb.

Give us a text as I my parents are out all day so will be working on both cars all day

LY Megane R26
I noticed where you put them, are the lower staps actually connected to an eye bolt thats attached to the subframes? Thanks for the info, did you just glue it on? I must agree it looks much better without!

They are mate, it's an eye bolt that's 50mm in length so it can go through the subframe and the floor of the car using a washer and nyloc nut underneath the car.
Nah no clue mate, they secure them selfs on as its rubber and seals around the plastic, hard to explain lol.

Very nice project mate.

What did you use as the horn button when fitted the steering wheel?

Thanks mate,
I bought a indicator stalk with a button for the horn on the end. Think they came from certain ph1 clios, they can be found on eBay etc and just plug and play:)
The one I bought comes without a switch for the front fogs tho so these arnt working at the moment, think there coming out soon for more air into the brakes anyway;)

Rhys, I'll see you tomorrow.

Focus ST
This is an awesome car!

Bought myself a MINT iceberg 172cup last night, definitely be changing the bulb setup ASAP!

Keep up the good work mate

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
Hiya Scott what did you use to sand the front lights down as mine are looking pretty doggy

cheers
Sean

Ps your clios looking well nice mate

LY Megane R26
These came today!

366e9645.jpg

SPAX RSX with the outboard rear coilover type. Ordered them end of last month and was told they would take a month to come as SPAX where waiting for delivery of parts.
They turned up today to my surprise.

Built up one rear just to show.
4f002c44.jpg

Cant fit them this weekend as on call for work, so hopefully I can fit them next weekend with Rhys Beal, as well as track rod ends and ball joints. Should be like a new car!

Trafic 140dci
Spax look good mate, I'm seriously considering them for the 182 (if they do cup pack kits!?) so let me know how you get on :)