ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Anymore thoughts on the steering wheel refurb Scott? I know you was interested after seeing the flame red ph1 (Jonathan's?) one.

Yes mate it will get done.

It will be one of those jobs I can do in the summer months as I have a spare wheel that I can send away.

Don't see the point in getting it done now as it will only sit there doing nothing. :(

I have enough expense at the moment with coilovers and the head/cam work. :)

Many.
Wondered how long it'd be before this happend when I spoke to you!

Might as well do it now, You'll enjoy it in the summer.

If you ever want a hand with it, as I said before, Happily offer my hand.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Wondered how long it'd be before this happend when I spoke to you!

Might as well do it now, You'll enjoy it in the summer.

If you ever want a hand with it, as I said before, Happily offer my hand.

I may take you up on that offer Alex, once i get the head back from ALD.

I will text you on what its going to cost for a few hrs of your time mate.

When I get everything I'll make sure it's all sorted for you Scott

Head will be off tomo matey, i hope to get it sent to you on Wednesday. :D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I did a bit more work on the car today but after a nice lay in bed i didn't get outside untill 2 ish.

Anyway i took the rad out along with the coolant hose's as they are going to be replace with black Samco one's.
I also removed all of the alloy bracket's so they can go off for powder coating in sliver. :D

Head is ready to be un-bolted in the morning, i'll take it to work with me on Tuesday to give it a clean in the de-greasing tank before its sent off to Andrew @ ALD for its porting work.

While its away the bits will go off for powder coating and of course the nuts and bolts will go off to be plated, ill also be giving Adam @ Renault a call to order the gasket's etc.

Got to give Demon Tweeks a call in the morning to order the exhaust heat wrap and Roland Alsop who will be supplying the Supertech valves and ARP rod bolts. :D

20140216_173835_zps0e0b4405.jpg

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Are you rebuilding it yourself mate? If you run out of things to do I can drop a nice black ph1 off ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Andrew @ ALD will be doing the porting and matching it to my inlets i have sent him.

He will also be fitting the Supertech valves. Once i get it back then i will fit the head, fit the cams and do the cam timing (and put everything else back together)

Mr Woodford will be mapping it. :D

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Have you got the locking tools dude or do you want to borrow them (I'm pretty sure you have anyhoo)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Scott did you call Demon Tweeks today? If not call John Harris direct as he deals with the discounts (10%) and is very helpful.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/discounts.php?cid=52

Also do you have any pics of the stickers you ordered for the upper grill? I was unsure on what to order today as my grill is missing both.

Yes Mark i ordered a few bits from them today, i don't know who i spoke to but i said i was on CS.

Don't know how much ive spent but i did get a few prices which where alot better than the prices on DT web site. :)

You will need to order a set from a 172/182 which fit on the left side then you will need a sticker set from a 197 just for the "engine fan will cut in warning"

Give Adam a pm, he knows all about it as he sorted them out for my car.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. I spoke to him today but tbh I wasn't sure what I needed! I sent a link to your thread page and he did mention about a 197 one. I shall PM him back.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yesterday morning i got the head off, took it to work with me today to give it a quick clean before i packaged it up ready to be sent to ALD.

Cars looking proper sad for its self. :(

20140217_123138_zps1184aa74.jpg

Bore looking fresh, which is good news.

20140217_121832_zpscbfabb71.jpg

After a little clean, ready to go for its porting. :D

20140218_163734_zpsa9f55584.jpg

So today i got a couple of bits from Demon Tweeks, but there's a 4 week wait for the Samco hoses ive ordered. (lucky that im no rush)
I ordered the Supertech valves and the ARP rod bolts from Roland Alsop, but they are still waiting on there order of 15 sets from the usa.
I should have them in 2 1/2 weeks which is fine as i have enough to be getting on with.

My bits from DT.
Ill get cracking on getting the 182 exhaust manifold wrapped over the weekend and get it fitted if the weather holds out.

20140218_193733_zpsf0914622.jpg

20140218_193957_zps050859b3.jpg

Many.
Progress is good as always.

At least it'll be perfect once back together.

I don't envy the job of that exhaust wrap either. Had to do it on my old Corsa and I hated it tbh.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Progress is good as always.

At least it'll be perfect once back together.

I don't envy the job of that exhaust wrap either. Had to do it on my old Corsa and I hated it tbh.

The DEI exhaust wrap i bought is titanium so no nasty fiberglass making me itch.

Ive been watching some youtube videos on how to do it so fingers crossed it will be fine, the misses will always help if i need an extra pair of hands. :)

Are the Magnecor leads recommended Scott? And what's the difference in coloured ones?

This is going to be EPIC when its all complete, more so than now.

Cheers mate, i have no idea if im honest.

In my thinking at the time was my leads are 14 years old so i wanted to replace them, yes i could have just bought Renault ones for half the price but i thought sod it. :D

Nice! My hoses took 6 weeks in the end bud. They make them to order I'm led to believe and the wait can be longer if they are a more 'unusual' colour :eek:

Bloody hell, thats what happens when you pick a gay colour. :rasp:

I was told it would be 4 weeks as ive gone for black, although i like the grey ones very much. :)

Many.
The DEI exhaust wrap i bought is titanium so no nasty fiberglass making me itch.

Ive been watching some youtube videos on how to do it so fingers crossed it will be fine, the misses will always help if i need an extra pair of hands. :)

I didn't use the fibreglass stuff either, its just the routing of it all.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I didn't use the fibreglass stuff either, its just the routing of it all.

Oh yeah i see, i yet to work that bit out.

I don't understand how you work out how much you are going to need for each pipe, otherwise you have got to run 50ft around and around.

I can see this job pissing me off.

Many.
Thats the problem! I suggest using cable ties to start with rather than use the metal clips supplied, means you can do it as many times as you like, and you'll do it 3 or 4 times.

Take your time doing it and have fun lol

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thats the problem! I suggest using cable ties to start with rather than use the metal clips supplied, means you can do it as many times as you like, and you'll do it 3 or 4 times.

Take your time doing it and have fun lol

Good thinking Batman, cheers. :D

So what are you doing on Sunday?? lol

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Bits already for powder coating in sliver.

The misses will be dropping them off tomo. :D

20140223_155705_zpsc3d17948.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How much does it cost to get that powder coated out of interest? Looking to get a few bits done in the near future :)

Not sure on this lot but id image about £150 - £200.
My rear beam, heat shields and upper gearbox mount came to £200

Thats blasted, zinc primer and then coated. (Some just blast and coat which will be cheaper)

Because the bit's are going sliver you have to get a few bits together to make it worth there while (black will be easy as it's always being done)

It's very cheap for Scott as he keeps the coaters in business ;)

I wish mate and I pay in cash. :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That would be the better way to do it.

One thing I will say though, that if you do get it blasted 1st then you need to make sure that the bit's are going to be coated asap.
Otherwise your bits will soon start to rust very quickly.

Got delivery of Scotts head today

Its been stripped and inspected, going in for x-ray tomorrow to make sure there isn't any cracks, They don't normally get cracked but its alway good to make sure

0F735861-E777-4A11-9F63-98A6563B3259_zpswwrbkp2f.gif

Standard ports
C23D04E2-4DDE-45A0-81EB-DF5637EAACEE_zpskpsmdxpn.gif

C23D04E2-4DDE-45A0-81EB-DF5637EAACEE_zpskpsmdxpn.gif

4B8AD6C2-16AB-4371-AE5E-01DAC478733E_zpsm1kackds.jpg

Big gouge in the head face but i'm sure it will skim out

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Good stuff Andrew, god knows how that happened. Maybe when i took it off???

Anyway, i packaged it up well so good to see it got to you in one piece. :)

Apart from that, in good condition??

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Head needs all 16 valve guides replacing. :(
Andrew puts this down to the car only being used for short jouneys.