ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great stuff mate. :D

Andrew, any chance that you could email the pictures as i dont want to loose them from my project thread if you delete them from your photobucket account.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
ALD , do you have to put new valve stems in after porting? I want to do my dci head but the valve stems , my local engine build shop don't stock te stems for my type engine.

Scott: sorry for hijack :eek:

I ask everyone thats having there head done to send me some seals as they normally get a head gasket set to refit the head..

I always fit new seals to every head i do..

All done mate, finished cleaning up the combustion chamber, just need to get its skimmed then its just a wait for your valves.

FF2024A4-8700-4580-A319-42E0E8F8F425_zpsxhwchjlk.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I was told last week that they should be with me in a weeks time, fingers crossed they are. :)

Don't forget the angled valve seats, is that done by you Andrew or the machine shop?

Misses collected my 2 bags of plated nuts and bolts, they look bloody great.

So happy i got them done. :D

Only to work out the compression ratio on Clio heads but if I do work to them like valve shrouding, smoothing, highly polish or any work to the chambers etc then I will cc them to balance the chambers.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Misses collected the bolts i sent away for plating.

20140309_004500_zpsfa091ccc.jpg

20140309_005303_zps6dc92c80.jpg

I bought some 0.8 stainless steel lock wire and pliers from Tweeks, i couldn't get the exhaust tie wraps to work and if im honest i think it looks lots better. :D

20140307_182014_zps9fb7345b.jpg

20140308_093230_zpsedaf8a5c.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
At last got the manifold wrapped, what a long winded job to get it looking right.

I hope it helps keep the engine bay temps down a bit.

20140310_172743_zps8505ef9c.jpg

20140310_172821_zps19f92fa3.jpg

Cup In bits
You have made a proper job of that mate, I ended up wrapping the the 'y' piece as one piece as my 2" warp just wouldn't follow the lines. That looks like 1" wrap though.

My my pliers also broke during it :(

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ooooo , looks good that! :)

youll lol find those twist lock pliers come in handy for loads of stuff!

Used to use mine as a sparky

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You have made a proper job of that mate, I ended up wrapping the the 'y' piece as one piece as my 2" warp just wouldn't follow the lines. That looks like 1" wrap though.

My my pliers also broke during it :(

Cheers Mate, it is the 2" titanium wrap.

I have seen a few done in that way but wanted mine done like this as i saw that there was just about enough of a gap.

Proper pain though but i think worth it. :)

Cup In bits
Yeah you have done a proper job anyway, I thought mine was tidy but you must have spent hours on that.

Also is the manifold you have the one with the little indent for the subframe, if so stick some lock wire there so if it rubs through it doesn't uncoil.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah you have done a proper job anyway, I thought mine was tidy but you must have spent hours on that.

Also is the manifold you have the one with the little indent for the subframe, if so stick some lock wire there so if it rubs through it doesn't uncoil.

The manifold ive got hasn't got any dents in it.

Im guessing it won't hit my subframe?

Once my head comes back ill fit it using the old gasket and bolts, fit the manifold to the head and have a look.

Jesus Christ Scott! You could donate this car to a museum when you're done at this rate. Obscene levels of perfection going on.

Its no show car mate.

But thanks very much for your comment Rob. :eek:

Picked up the head from the machine shop after its skim.

Just waiting for the valves now then recut the seats.

Looking into the plug thread modifications for you, maybe its a little overkill but as long as you torque them to standard spec it will be fine

Many.
Looking into the plug thread modifications for you, maybe its a little overkill but as long as you torque them to standard spec it will be fine

Scott, overkill? Impossible.

I agree though. If the thread is good ATM, and it's torqued up etc each time, it'll be fine IMO.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Picked up the head from the machine shop after its skim.

Just waiting for the valves now then recut the seats.

Good stuff mate.

I called Roland Alsop yesterday afternoon, still no valves but they said that they was going to call Supertech later that day when they open.
Fingers crossed it wont be to long as its beginning to piss me off. :(

Andrew can you fit a set of plugs and torque them up please just to make 100% sure everythings ok.
Oh and if the inlets are done is there any chance you could post them back so i can send them away for painting?

I don't mind paying the postage for them mate.

Scott, overkill? Impossible.

I agree though. If the thread is good ATM, and it's torqued up etc each time, it'll be fine IMO.

After all of this money ive spent mate i just don't want the head to come back, fit it all back up and for then something to go wrong. Rather Andrew sort any problems now while his still got the head.
If all is well then thats great, it saves me a bit of monies. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Now starting to run out of things to do to the car as im still waiting on the valves for the head which Andrew has done.

Still haven't got my Samco coolant hoses from Demon Tweeks, called them on friday and they have said they should be with me on the 26th march so CUB was right its going to be 6 weeks.

Spent a little bit of time giving the gearbox a little clean, i also loosely fitting some powder coated bits onto the engine just to see what it looks like.

I gave the TB and clean with carb cleaner and then fitted the throttle cable bracket along with my plated bolts.
The TB could do with a better clean, i was thinking about getting it glass blasted but didn't want any grit to get into it. Maybe its best left alone.

The brakets are sliver but they look white in this picture.

eba7f67f-03e2-4dbb-af08-99a5e234b0a2_zps4f5b2869.jpg

20140314_172341_zps30c4a8ae.jpg

20140314_172359_zps867f3e90.jpg

Fitted the 182 manifold while the head is off, i need to fit the cylinder head using the old gasket and bolts then ill bolt the manifold to the head to see if its going to hit the subframe.
My manifold hasn't got any dents in it and im using Ktec engine/gearbox mounts along with a poly dog bone mount, fingers crossed its going to be ok. :)

20140314_172534_zpsd7929049.jpg

Fitted the plastic clips to the plated brakets, shiny. :cool:

20140315_170739_zps21e81528.jpg

Many.
I can understand the consern about the spark plug threads.

New shiney bits look good. I know that boredom can cause further money spent increasing the work!

Should be awesome once its done.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
s**t about the hoses bud :(

They pulled the same stunt on me. '4 weeks'. Then '5 weeks'. Then 6. I rang up in week 5 and basically said the hoses were preventing me finishing an entire engine rebuild.

Shiny stuff, looks good as ever! You should put some Nimbus heat shield on. Mine looks great, finishes the engine off nicely :)

Cup In bits
I missed your question about the dents in the manifold mate. It seems the dent was added to certain or later manifolds just to give a bit more clearance so you should be fine. Some French guys say its a Renault sport part without the dents. I just think its an evolution thing.

There is a good bit of engine adjustment to be had as I'm sure you know by having all nuts and bolts loose on all engine and box mounts with the uprated stuff so you will be fine. Just fire it all back together first time, no need to do a dry run IMO.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I can understand the consern about the spark plug threads.

New shiney bits look good. I know that boredom can cause further money spent increasing the work!

Should be awesome once its done.

Thanks Alex, yes ive just bought some alloy rear spacers and ARP rod bolts. :eek:

s**t about the hoses bud :(

They pulled the same stunt on me. '4 weeks'. Then '5 weeks'. Then 6. I rang up in week 5 and basically said the hoses were preventing me finishing an entire engine rebuild.

Shiny stuff, looks good as ever! You should put some Nimbus heat shield on. Mine looks great, finishes the engine off nicely :)

Well im in no rush but i dont want to get the engine done and then still no hoses, just wanted to give them a nudge.

Wash your mouth out, i bought a new bulk head trim from Renault which cost a bomb. :rasp:

Looks good, are you going to clean/powdercoat the subframe?

I will do at some point Mat, just want to get it back on the road and enjoy it again.

That will be a winter job i think. :)

I missed your question about the dents in the manifold mate. It seems the dent was added to certain or later manifolds just to give a bit more clearance so you should be fine. Some French guys say its a Renault sport part without the dents. I just think its an evolution thing.

There is a good bit of engine adjustment to be had as I'm sure you know by having all nuts and bolts loose on all engine and box mounts with the uprated stuff so you will be fine. Just fire it all back together first time, no need to do a dry run IMO.

Ta very much mate, that was my thought as if they hit the sub frame then they would all be dented.

Ill get it all back together and adjust it to suit.

If you run out of things to do I can drop a car off for you ;)
#

Not bloody finished this one off yet, ive found a few more bits to plod on with. ;)

Sent the inlets off today

Thanks mate, looking forward to getting them painted. :D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Just because they're alloy? lol ARP bolts are a good idea while its apart though. Told you that you should of removed the engine.

I have the MAD 10mm -1 on there at the moment but my rear camber is now -3 on the n/s and -2 on the o/s

So i have bought the alloy ones from Tom as i didn't like the camber and it was wrong.

When it goes to Mark Fish for its geo then he can fit camber shims to get it bang on. :D

I don't have a garage mate and if i had removed the engine id of ended up spending 8k. :(

Ill have to wait untill the heads back on so i can remove the sump and fit the bolts.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Great work! I bet the manifold took and age to do, certainly worth the effort though :)

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but when are you hoping to have it all back together and running again?