ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scrubbing in ad08r?

Just got the a048 swapped over for these new made this year, when do they get good lol. I only gave it a bit of a go anyway but they are light.. hadnt checked pressures though so garage could of given them 40psi

@JamesBryan No not the new S version. I thought Id remove the semi slicks that were around 10 years old so I could use the car a bit of the winter, should of left them on, they were very grippy, Im going to go out when its a bit more dry and see again

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
@JamesBryan No not the new S version. I thought Id remove the semi slicks that were around 10 years old so I could use the car a bit of the winter, should of left them on, they were very grippy, Im going to go out when its a bit more dry and see again

Never had a problem when i used AD08R's, even in the snow.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
When I ran them over winter on my Fiesta ST, at this time of the year, they never got good. They need some heat!
Yeah they are pretty poor in this cold weather.

I was out in the E92 on Friday evening and had no issues spinning up in 5th [emoji23]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Do road tyres need “scrubbing in” ??

Last time I got new Cup2s they felt lethal pulling away from the garage but after about a mile they were fine. (Obviously they need heat to grip really good but The coating just made it feel like driving on snow)

So turns out they are the new ad08rS and I was out for a while yesterday so was able to come to the conclusion that they are pretty damn scary lol. Im disappointed, I know its cold but the a048 were so grippy when they were stone cold, more grip than the new tyres when they have a bit of heat in them! The wheels look good wrapped in them at least :p

Just wanna add that the pzeros I had a bit ago were incredible, they were consistent and reliable in any weather. Surprised people chose the soggy michelins over them

So turns out they are the new ad08rS and I was out for a while yesterday so was able to come to the conclusion that they are pretty damn scary lol. Im disappointed, I know its cold but the a048 were so grippy when they were stone cold, more grip than the new tyres when they have a bit of heat in them! The wheels look good wrapped in them at least :p

You can't compare A048s to AD08Rs though. One is a track focused semi slick, the other is a fast road tyre.

I have AD08Rs on one set of wheel at the moment. Fine for a summer road tyre, but pretty poor on a dry track in my opinion.

You've gone from dedicated soft track tyres with 60 treadware that don't need lots, if any heat to grip to a hard road/track tyre with 200+ treadware that require lots of heat to work properly. The dry/damp grip difference will be massive.

I really don't understand why people run these half arsed track/road tyres on the road in winter, they are lethal when cold and are very hard to get up to temp on light cars like a Clio.

Could you not just get a set of cheap wheels and throw some new Rainsport 5's on them, probably cost you less than £300 all in and give you the piece of mind and safety for winter driving.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You've gone from dedicated soft track tyres with 60 treadware that don't need lots, if any heat to grip to a hard road/track tyre with 200+ treadware that require lots of heat to work properly. The dry/damp grip difference will be massive.

I really don't understand why people run these half arsed track/road tyres on the road in winter, they are lethal when cold and are very hard to get up to temp on light cars like a Clio.

Could you not just get a set of cheap wheels and throw some new Rainsport 5's on them, probably cost you less than £300 all in and give you the piece of mind and safety for winter driving.
😎
20180308_082005.jpg

Lack of experience and trusting the internet reviews! I was just under the impression theyd be okay from cold. And its not like im daily'in the clio but I will be using it few times over the winter so didnt want get dedicated tyres as to just keep using the 'performance' tyres into the summer

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Lack of experience and trusting the internet reviews! I was just under the impression theyd be okay from cold. And its not like im daily'in the clio but I will be using it few times over the winter so didnt want get dedicated tyres as to just keep using the 'performance' tyres into the summer
The ad08rs is a new compound. I'm yet to read good reviews on them

200s quid worth... Another 30 for fitting... Im going to go out tonight and do burnouts, maybe it'l shock them into performing better

200s quid worth... Another 30 for fitting... Im going to go out tonight and do burnouts, maybe it'l shock them into performing better
Maybe worth a go to soften them up a bit. I've used it and it defo works.

Maybe worth a go to soften them up a bit. I've used it and it defo works.

Thanks Ill definitely try it, I was going to get some for the a048 after discussion as the are very old but still performed well so never got some.

Does that stuff soak into the tyre or is it more like they are soft on the out layer and will need re reapplying after some miles or a track day?

Thanks Ill definitely try it, I was going to get some for the a048 after discussion as the are very old but still performed well so never got some.

Does that stuff soak into the tyre or is it more like they are soft on the out layer and will need re reapplying after some miles or a track day?
Yes they soften up the outer layer of the tyre. The more you apply in multiple applications the deeper it goes. I advise applying 2-3 coats and on the last one wrap them in cling film and leave for 24-48 hours.

It bloody stinks though so leave them in a shed or somewhere that you don't mind stinking up. Also apply on a big piece of cardboard as it stains anything it touches.

Update! They were at 35 psi which the garage put them to, lowered to 30 and put new lower joints on and can safely say they are perfectly fine! Am confident to drive them in snow now like @Louis lol

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Update! They were at 35 psi which the garage put them to, lowered to 30 and put new lower joints on and can safely say they are perfectly fine! Am confident to drive them in snow now like @Louis lol
Crazy how tyre pressure makes such a huge difference! Good to know they feel good. Please keep updating when you start pressing on as I'll probably be looking at getting a set next year!