ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SEAT Leon Cupra R or Clio 182 Cup

Okay, asked this on scoobynet, but thought id get some Clio owners views on the subject...

Which is ultimately the better car, as a day to day, good fun sporty hot hatch?
I know the Cupra will be built better, but around £10k gets you a 2004 182.
2003 Cupra R is around £11.5k
Is the Cupra worth the extra on insurance (only about £100 more), and is servicing and running costs around the same for both, or is the Clio considerably less to run? The Clio would also be a couple years younger, so im really trying to gauge from anyone whos owned one or both whether its worth giving up a couple years for the SEAT or not.

From my experiences with a 172, I know the Clio is a lot of fun, but havent looked at SEATs before. With a turbo, I would hope theyd be quick, with lots of torque, as opposed to the more revvy nature of the Clio, but do they perform the same?

Cheers
SSB

Tough choice, but i think you should be choosing between the full fat 182 with the cup packs, not the cup!

Ziel Nurburgring

Both very very capable cars. Id imagine the LCR is a little thirstier on petrol. LCR is much easier to mod, a Revo chip takes it upto 270+bhp. Different cars though, ones a sporty supermini the other is a sporty family hatch.

Id go for the LCR, but you might want to consider that the 182 will also have a longer warranty.

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 20 June 2005

Both very very capable cars. Id imagine the LCR is a little thirstier on petrol. LCR is much easier to mod, a Revo chip takes it upto 270+bhp. Different cars though, ones a sporty supermini the other is a sporty family hatch.
Exactly what I was going to type. Depends what you really want the car for. If you want a "good fun sporty hot hatch" then Id pick the Clio

The 182 with Cup packs is very good value, but want to keep the car for two years, so am a little nervous about build quality.

Saying that, my 172 Cup never missed a beat, and a 2004 182 would still have a decent warranty.

Recon the 182 with Cup packs is the Clio id go for, keep the luxuries, and ABS, and also get the better suspension etc.

Its a difficult one, the LCR is more money, but only slightly, so really need to decide whether to spend a little more, and get a car that will potentially cost more to run, but also hold its value better, and apparently is better made, or get something thats very good value for money on the face of it, but may result in me losing more at the end of ownership.

Ill be test driving both, and getting an idea of costs together, but like both, so its going to be a difficult choice.

Personally after having a 172 (A fairly heavily engine-modified one) and after driving a mates Revod Cupra R a bit Id say the Cupra R, but thats because for me the boot is huge for all my kit etc, and with four doors its much more accomodating for taking mates round in - and with the Revo software on it its a beast without a doubt, power delivery that would put a big cheesy grin on anyones face every day of the year - although the revo maps on my mates are a bit "special" ;-)

^^^
exactly the same comment.

If you want a fast track car - get the clio

If you are going no-where near a track, get the Leon (225 BHP)

/y0z

DC5

Just got back fro a trip down to Le Mans in my dads LCR Ive always been a fan of the LCR, and after a long drive down to France Ive grown to like it even more, and it was suprisingly good on the petrol aswel. The clio is a great car, dont get me wrong, its a lot of fun to drive. But the LCR is a lot more practical and has got the performance also. It also feels a lot stronger and has the better build quality.

Go for the Leon!

muz

big fat japanese bus

Def Leon Higher quality of car although not as much fun I would suspect.

It will have stronger residuals as well and you can have a lot fo fun with that turbo engine !

Quote: Originally posted by muzz on 20 June 2005Def Leon Higher quality of car although not as much fun I would suspect.It will have stronger residuals as well and you can have a lot fo fun with that turbo engine !

Nah it doesnt, my dad was offered £8,500 trade for his 40k miles 2003 LCR against a new LCR a few months ago!

Well, ill have approx 11.5k cash to play with, and im struggling to find a 2003 Cupra R for that money, so it may be the 182 is the only choice, just as I dont want to end up spending more than I set aside in my mind to.

Running costs too seem to be cheaper in the Clio, but im a bit worried about all the "bits falling off" posts.

Remapped derv Golf

SideShowBob, if you have a 172 Cup at the moment then dont bother changing to a 182. Save youre pennies for something better.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Have you asked the question of where to buy on SeatCupra.net ???

Theres always someone selling due to company cars being forced upon them, if not Im sure someone could point you in the right direction of a decent car at a dealer...

And in answer to your original question, the LCR without any shadow of a doubt...

Once driven youll wonder why you ever asked the question

Its been asked already, but if you want a sporty hot hatch, why the hell are you selling the 172 Cup and getting a 182?

I had a 172 Cup, and now have a Revod LCR (revod it after about 3 months).

I got the Cup when i was 23, and it was perfect at the time for blatting down country lanes and hooning around in. But found that i was driving it faster and faster and decided i needed to calm down a bit. Anyhow, i chose the LCR for the increase in size and refinement, and the fact that once tuned it is very quick. Ok, along the twisties its not so much fun as the Cup was, but in all honesty im kinda glad, as it has defo slowed me down some.

I used to get 40mpg on the motorway in the Cup, i now get about 28-32, depending on what speeds im doing!

First service is apparently £170ish in Leeds, got that begining of next month. Tyres, for GSD3s are £111 a corner from mytyres. Ill need new fronts at 10k most likely.

Over all, there are days i miss the Cup, but these are few and far between. I Love the LCR to bits, it doesnt rattle, it goes like stink, it handles and corners well. When i put it back to standard it still feels very fast, but in Revo trim it makes me smile so much.

Last thought of the day really is this. If you go from a Cup to a 182 with Cup packs, spend all that money and then when you come to drive it you think, "well ok, its a new car, but is it really that different from my old car" then you are going to be very dissapointed at not chosing something new and different.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 21 June 2005

Its been asked already, but if you want a sporty hot hatch, why the hell are you selling the 172 Cup and getting a 182?

I got the Cup when i was 23, and it was perfect at the time for blatting down country lanes and hooning around in. But found that i was driving it faster and faster and decided i needed to calm down a bit. Anyhow, i chose the LCR for the increase in size and refinement, and the fact that once tuned it is very quick. Ok, along the twisties its not so much fun as the Cup was, but in all honesty im kinda glad, as it has defo slowed me down some.

I used to get 40mpg on the motorway in the Cup, i now get about 28-32, depending on what speeds im doing!

First service is apparently £170ish in Leeds, got that begining of next month. Tyres, for GSD3s are £111 a corner from mytyres. Ill need new fronts at 10k most likely.

Over all, there are days i miss the Cup, but these are few and far between. I Love the LCR to bits, it doesnt rattle, it goes like stink, it handles and corners well. When i put it back to standard it still feels very fast, but in Revo trim it makes me smile so much.

Last thought of the day really is this. If you go from a Cup to a 182 with Cup packs, spend all that money and then when you come to drive it you think, "well ok, its a new car, but is it really that different from my old car" then you are going to be very dissapointed at not chosing something new and different.

Didnt I tell you all of this before you bought it ???

I cant beleive you waited SO long to get it Revod thou *pokes*

Personally I think a Revos LCR should come with a warning similar to that on the yorkie bar NOT FOR BOYS ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Hippychick on 21 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 21 June 2005

Didnt I tell you all of this before you bought it ???

I cant beleive you waited SO long to get it Revod thou *pokes*

Personally I think a Revos LCR should come with a warning similar to that on the yorkie bar NOT FOR BOYS ;)
It only had a few miles on when i got it nearly new, wanted to run it in a little bit before i Revod it, plus it was like getting a new car yet again, if id not got used to it in standard first it wouldnt have felt so special when i get it Revod. My excuse anyhow!

I was coming down from Newcastle after a stag do this weekend, and a Plat silver LCR under took me and was wanting to play. Anyhow, it became very quickly obvious that he wasnt chipped, couldnt believe how much i gained on him every time i put my foot down. He came off at the same turning as me and pulled over. Anyhow, hes now looking to get his Revod!

Ive not got a 172 Cup at the minute, I did have one though, curently have an S2000.

Did like the 172, but starting to think from the comments here, if im going to sell the S2000 to replace it with a hot hatch, then the Cupra is the one to go for.

Cheers for the seat forum tip Hippychick, ive posted the question up there too, and looked through their for sale section, and heres a few near the £11.5k mark, but not many.

The 182 can be had for £10k, so it comes down to whether the Cupra is worth the extra £1.5k, plus higher running costs, but suppose ill only know that after a test drive of both.

[Edited by SideShowBob on 21 June 2005 at 9:43am]

Neil, there is a big difference in what the stealers will offer and what the car is actually worth. No doubt about it your dads car would have been on the forecourt for £11500 if not more. Surely your dad was not silly enough to let it go for that:eek:

Selling privately and buying privately is the only real way to go in getting a good deal both ways.

There is no way hell find a 2003 LCR for sub £10000. Around £11500-£13000 is a good marker id say for a 210 car.

LCR gets my vote as the clio is a girly car;) Only jokin ladies;)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

There are 2 03 plate LCRs round here for £11.5k, they are 210s mind you. The 225 is slightly better inside (nicer steering wheel).

I almost bought a LCR just over a year ago but I bought a CTR instead as I thought the LCR would be 2 thirsty...how wrong could I be!! My CTR had a real drink problem most I ever got out of £35 was about 220 miles. Sold that and bought another 172 that was great but I have now taken the plunge and have a LCR. Not had it long but its proving me wrong as its being very economical getting about 34mpg on my work run and according to the trip Im gonna get about 350 miles on a tank (£40) if thats the case then its cheaper to run that the 172!! :D

Oh and its smooth and quiet and rattle free unlike the 172!!

http://www.cliosport.net/members/photos/s_ARUUMKTQWS.jpg <---------------------:D

Ive found a Cupra R that sounds nice!! a 210 in black.

I recon its going to be the Cupra R for me. As nice as the 182 is, and regardless of the fact it is very good value, I just feel like the Cupra is the better car overall, thou of course im only basing this on partial first hand experience, as havent driven a Cupra yet.

All the comments and ideas have been really helpful, Clio is still in the running, but I would say the Cupra is quite a way ahead, being as ive found one at a decent price.

Its not at dealers showroom at the moment, but they are going to get it back in for end of the week, and il go have a look and a drive of it, and let you all know what I recon against the Clio.

Save the cash and get a 306 GTI 6........thats what i just did, been wanting to try one for years, the handling on a std one of these is up there with my old Evo 2 Grale and 944 S2 imho, very very sweet and cheap as chips.....:)

Ive not read this thread, but this is what the ex-owner of my 172 PMd me the other day in relation to the Cupra R:

Hi Ben,

Hope the car is going well mate. Just been looking at that thread on the Cupra R...

I wanted to post that I went up against Hippychicks chipped Cupra R around Llandow and she was NOWHERE on the twisties and she could not get past on the straights either ! It hurts for people to admit that they cannot beat a car that cost half the price ! LOL !

I do like the Cupra Rs but I dont like the 172s being sh*t on...

Cheers,

Dai

Id say for pure fun especially around the twisties get a 182. Its dynamically flawless and blessed with a sweet chasis. Also slightly cheaper to buy & run although residual value & build quality is poor. Have to say though that I think the driving position/seat is not as bad as some critics preach.

However, if a dose of practicality and reliability is required the Cupra R 225 (preferably revod) suits the bill. Its also a better long distance partner. Probably 85% as exciting as the 182 on everyday driving.

So what am I saying? If you may excuse the cliche, basically you buy the Clio 182 with your heart and the Cupra R with both. Decide which camp you belong to...:confused:

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by tin69 on 21 June 2005

So what am I saying? If you may excuse the cliche, basically you buy the Clio 182 with your heart and the Cupra R with both. Decide which camp you belong to...:confused:
Both :confused:

I thought only Dr Who had 2 hearts :D

the independents motoring section had a letter asking the same, today. they said the lcr is good but has higher running costs, the 182 is cheap and a complete drivers car.