ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seeking Driveshaft Leak Advice

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Noticed a build up/splatter gearbox side of my passenger driveshaft.

Can't see any tears in the boot and it seems to coming out the side, down the shaft while splattering on the steering rack and frame. (Wheels at full lock to the right when image taken).

Metal clip isn't loose, can rotate it slightly but takes some force.

PXL_20210801_120725706.jpg

Have cleaned the area and will monitor over the next week.

To the more experienced does this look like a new boot and clip are required? Or should I be thinking about a new driveshaft?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't fit a new shaft over that. If the shaft is in a good state or quiet with no slop.

I would buy a Renault boot kit, diligently re grease pack the joint and fit the new boot.

Most other boots seem to perish pretty quickly while the oem one is a long lived part.

You might even get away with re crimping the clip....

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
The rubber boot might have slight cracks in it where the rubber has perished over the years. Mine had cracks in it and was similar but got progressively worse over time and started dripping onto the drive and therefore had to replaced the whole driveshaft. I would keep monitoring it, doesn't look too bad at the moment.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I wouldn't fit a new shaft over that. If the shaft is in a good state or quiet with no slop.

I would buy a Renault boot kit, diligently re grease pack the joint and fit the new boot.

Most other boots seem to perish pretty quickly while the oem one is a long lived part.

You might even get away with re crimping the clip....
The boot in the picture is n/s gearbox side so will have gearbox oil in it which is leaking / seeping out somewhere on the boot /gaiter...

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My bad, hadn't clocked that was gearbox side however you can buy just the boot from Renault I believe so you wouldn't have to replace the whole shaft.

Ignore my point about grease packing and sub in drain and refill gearbox fluid.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Messy job and the gearbox oil stinks tho. Made a right mess of my drive. :ROFLMAO:

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Thank you for the advice everyone, priorities seem to be:

1) New metal clip + Keep box topped off and monitor
2) If it continues to leak (or more importantly if it gets worse over time) fit a new genuine Renault boot
3) Then if the new boot doesn't sort the issue replace the driveshaft

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Messy job and the gearbox oil stinks tho. Made a right mess of my drive. :ROFLMAO:
Im not just saying this to be smug, I am the guy that ALWAYS misses the tub when doing an oil change but I've had that shaft out recently and didn't make a mess at all.

Just drain the box first (obvs), and jack the car up on that side by a decent amount so any remaining oil is on the other side of the box and nothing will come out. Put shaft straight into a wadge of tissues and your golden.

I have a shaft somewhere which I can check but I believe the tripod comes off easily with a circlip(?) then fit new guff...

Sadly THIS has already sold but it has the part number on. Good chance the oiginal rubber was made by SASIC in which case THIS might be a cheap option if the full kit is NLA from Renault.

AutoDoc has a few to choose from, Meyle and SNR would likely be decent, the SNR comes with the bearing and plate too: