ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SERV and airbag light on 172 cup ( not the usual questions)

CLIO 172 CUP
Hey guys. Iv got a 172 cup with a retro fitted 182 leather interior.

Im having problems with the above lights coming on, I know it came a pproblem with the plug on the pass side under the seat but is this the same with the cup models? As they didn't have seat airbags from the factory would plugging seats with airbags in cause the light tto come on?

Or would it be the usual plug under pass seat?

Jim

CLIO 172 CUP
the normal question is why is it on....

I want to know if it could possibly be on because the seats have been changed from cup to non cup simple as!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The wire under the seat leads to the seatbelt pretensioner, and a dodgy connector will cause the light to illuminate.

You can't be 100% certain that fixing that wire will fix the fault, but it's usually this.

CLIO 172 CUP
No they don't which is why I'm asking that if retrofitting leather interior could have caused the light to come on?

Jim

CLIO 172 CUP
Ok thanks mate. I will look further in to it.

Am I correct in thinking its the black and red connector that the problem is caused by on the pass seat?

Jim

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not nessecarily, I think I read on here that there's over 100 connections in the airbag/pretensioner system. Any fault will flag up those lights, save yourself the wasted time and get it looked at by someone that knows.

CLIO 172 CUP
So plugging it in to CLIP diagnostics will tell me which connector is at fault???? That's a clever bit of kit then isn't it! Your not being helpfull with your comments mate.

I wasn't after a definite solution to my problem! Just wanted to know if the seats had been changed ffrom cup ones with no airbag to leather with airbag if the light could be on because of that? Simple as.

What normally plugs in to the airbag plugs on the cup seats to stop the airbag light being on? I'm sure Renault didn't just use resistors
from maplins, lol.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mate. I couldn't tell you what Renault use for the seats, I would imagine they just have the airbag option for seats turned off on the ECU and that's that. Unfortunately no one is going to be able to give you a definitive answer because as I mentioned before, it could be a break in ANY of the airbag/seat belt circuits.

Resistors will also only work if you actually make it close the circuit, and if you don't know where it is you'll just be guessing.

As far as adding airbags causing the problems, I honestly don't know. I'm not an expert here, I've just wasted a lot of time myself doing the old soldering the plugs method.

CLIO 172 CUP
Also why do people bother with soldering the cables when they could just crimp them with barrel connectors?

172/1.2/E30
Did you connect the wiring from the pretensioner to the plug under the seat? Installing seats with airbags won't bring your airbag light on.
BTW: I prefer crimping aswell.

CLIO 172 CUP
It is all connected up ok. I have now crimped both connections on the pass seat as one was already cut of when I got the seat. Airbag light is still on....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The SRS module is a configured option to the vehicle... By this I mean it is setup to monitor and deploy the airbags in your car.

The problem is being caused because you have now added components to the system that are not configured. The SRS module isn't stupid and can see the new units when they are plugged in which goes against its coding that says it doesn't have them and so it flags them and turns on the MIL.

Mick
Diamond Motors

CLIO 172 CUP
So now the light is on I need to get the module altered to accept the seat airbags? Or disconnect the airbags and have the module faults cleared on a propper diagnostic system?

Jim

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You have two options yeah:

1 - reconfigure the SRS ECU trigger lines to work with the new seats and components in them (we charge £25 for this)

Or...

2 - cut the wires to the new bags and leave them disconnected (£Free).

You obviously need to have the seat belt pretensioners connected though else it'll trigger the light due to an open circuit.

Mick
Diamond Motors

CLIO 172 CUP
Mick I will have to pay u a visit when I get the car insured and get you to check it out as just disconnecting the airbags in the seats hasnt cleared the lights.

Jim