ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sheared wheel nut

2003 clio 172 ph2
changed my ball joints and TRE at the weekend and as doing everything back up i sheared a wheel nut.

what would people suggest?

A) replace the whole hub assembly?

B) buy the easy out kit and a punch and take the time to try and remove the end of the sheared nut.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate had exactly the same problem recently, except when undoing nuts to take wheel off.

Take wheel is off soak hub with WD40 or similar perertrating fluid, carefully drilled a hole right through the bit of the nut left in the hub, then I used a stud extractor to wind it out. Have to admit thought it would be a nightmare but was easier than I thought, got pleanty of practice as two bolts sheared. Just take your time, it was cheaper for me to replace the sheared ones with locking wheel bolts, but I expect someone on here will have one, if not I have a spare bolt.

How tight were you doing them? There is a thread with all the torques it's only 90Nm I think.

Good luck.

Paul

2003 clio 172 ph2
oh its got 3 shitty locking wheel nuts on wheel and i hate them.

how long did it take you to undo the old one?

im going to do it this weekend whatever i decide. just thought i would seek advice 1st to see what was easier as i have never snapped a nut before lol

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Replacing the hub assembly is a very expensive option. Hub itself is around the £120 mark iirc and then add on a new wheel bearing and fitting and it mounts up. I've just replaced mine as it was warped and it cost me the best part of £300 all in lol.

If you have the time, try extracting first.

2003 clio 172 ph2
Replacing the hub assembly is a very expensive option. Hub itself is around the £120 mark iirc and then add on a new wheel bearing and fitting and it mounts up. I've just replaced mine as it was warped and it cost me the best part of £300 all in lol.

If you have the time, try extracting first.

that answers all my questions then, ill go buy screw extractor tomorrow before work and get it out at the weekend i think..

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
had one of mine strip the tread when the wheel came off got a 2nd hand hub £15 pressed the centre out and replaced with a new bearing £20.

could get a complete hub from a scrappy or renparts and bolt straight on.

Clio 182 FF
Have got the same issue myself. Wheel bolt sheered off and despite some serious attempts at getting it out will not budge! Tried easyouts etc with no joy, managed to drill through what remains of the bolt yet it will still not come out. Have resigned to the fact that im going to need a replacement hub but as others have already said here not too cheap to replace the whole lot. Been keeping my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand one but I need it to have the Cup bolt spacing and had no joy in tracking one down as yet. Good luck!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Have got the same issue myself. Wheel bolt sheered off and despite some serious attempts at getting it out will not budge! Tried easyouts etc with no joy, managed to drill through what remains of the bolt yet it will still not come out. Have resigned to the fact that im going to need a replacement hub but as others have already said here not too cheap to replace the whole lot. Been keeping my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand one but I need it to have the Cup bolt spacing and had no joy in tracking one down as yet. Good luck!

I had a similar situation and got a compete hub assembly from these guys for around £70 -

http://renparts.co.uk

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I tried an easy out the other week on a mates 182. Ended up buying a hub as the bit got stuck in it :/

FF 182
ffs Oggy. Did he buy new or from a scrappy?

Will have a look tomorrow to see if i can get some mole grips on the rear of the bolt. If not i'll try the easy out. Really cba to take the whole f**king hub off.