ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shell V-Power Nitro+

dk

911 GTS Cab
I bet they wouldn't be allowed to used the name nitro + racing in the UK anyway as it would make people want to race......

Clio RS200
I thought usual unleaded was 95 Ron, V-power from BP was 97 Ron and the Tesco high octane one was 99 Ron.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I remember learning about calorific values and octane numbers in A-level chemistry. Can't remember it now though :(

Good Ye!

That was bp ultimate 102 which then made available close to racing circuits, I never saw it personally, not sure if it even still exists.

we used to buy our 102 from the BP in egham which isn't near a race circuit ?

BP102 is not around in the uk any more , but thats because the MSA blue book has everything running on regular pump fuel now so no need to sell it as it was a loophole for pump fuel because x amount of stations sold it .

F1 has run on standard octane fuel and cannot contain additives not in regular pump fuel for some years , not like back in the 80's when fuel burnt your nostrils.

330i. E30 Touring.
we used to buy our 102 from the BP in egham which isn't near a race circuit ?

BP102 is not around in the uk any more , but thats because the MSA blue book has everything running on regular pump fuel now so no need to sell it as it was a loophole for pump fuel because x amount of stations sold it .

F1 has run on standard octane fuel and cannot contain additives not in regular pump fuel for some years , not like back in the 80's when fuel burnt your nostrils.

Closest track is Longcross. I wouldn't be surprised if it had anything to do with the 2x Ferrari dealers there!

Closest track is Longcross. I wouldn't be surprised if it had anything to do with the 2x Ferrari dealers there!

you mean the fact its opposite the countries largest ferrari importer ;)

​and longcross does not really get used for motorsport very often does it ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No idea what calorific value is if I'm being honest chip lol.

People often think the RON value is how potent or strong the fuel is, it isnt, and in the case of the tesco stuff its higher RON but actually a weaker fuel.

Or the RON is, is just a measure of det resistance, nothing else at all.

Unless you are high boost or very high comp, a mega high RON fuel is of little or not use, and even if you are then you need a remap to make use of it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
People often think the RON value is how potent or strong the fuel is, it isnt, and in the case of the tesco stuff its higher RON but actually a weaker fuel.

Or the RON is, is just a measure of det resistance, nothing else at all.

Unless you are high boost or very high comp, a mega high RON fuel is of little or not use, and even if you are then you need a remap to make use of it.

Would MON be a more useful number to use as it's a better representation of the performance of the fuel.

With it being tested under more load at a higher rpm and at different ignition timings?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would MON be a more useful number to use as it's a better representation of the performance of the fuel.

With it being tested under more load at a higher rpm and at different ignition timings?

Its still only a measure of knock resistance though, rather than of fuel strength, so a higher MON fuel can still need to be run richer than a lower one (E85 for example) so can be bad for economy.

Chip, is it true that some ECU's will adapt for maximum performance up to the point where detonation is a risk? I'm no expert of course, but I understand that some cars will quite cleverly adapt to the fuel being used. And many other factors of course. If this is the case, then surely some cars can take advantage of higher octane fuels even if they're aren't specifically mapped for them?

I ask mainly because mine is mapped for 97+, but I definitely notice an improvement when I've been running 102 for a couple of tanks. Mainly the smoothness at maximum boost at high rpm's in higher gears, which coincidentally is exactly where my car suffers if I use 95.

EDIT: If it matters, my peak boost is somewhere in the region of 21-22 psi, but seems to go higher than that in 5th and 6th gear above 5000rpm.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST200
So in summary the only benefit low powered NA engined cars get is better fuel economy, or more efficient use of the fuel?

It doesn't actually add any performance?

Its still only a measure of knock resistance though, rather than of fuel strength, so a higher MON fuel can still need to be run richer than a lower one (E85 for example) so can be bad for economy.

Then we get into adding oxygen in race fuels .... again needing to map/jet rich ... gains power to a point then tails off

Again no gain in ron rating

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Then we get into adding oxygen in race fuels .... again needing to map/jet rich ... gains power to a point then tails off

Again no gain in ron rating

You need a large piece of paper to get anywhere close to describing a fuel (half of which I wouldnt understand with only A level chemistry and a bit of reading since, lol, you need a PHD in fuel chemistry minimum really), but people want it all in one number, lol

182 CUP
That was bp ultimate 102 which then made available close to racing circuits, I never saw it personally, not sure if it even still exists.
Sure it was Shell at the time, they sell Gulf 102 now though.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It won't make a difference to me.

The Focus bus gets what ever fuel is cheapest at the time and the SV gets normal shell 95 octane.

clio sold :(
Ive just put this is my car apparently, as you would imagine no diffrence :approve: still a good idle
20130419_125251.gif

Any one else use it yet?

Last edited:
  Trophy #387
I just put £65 of this in the Trophy. I even asked the bloke what the difference was, and he suggested it was a re-branding to spark a few extra sales. It was 144.9p a litre, which isn't even far off I pay for normal unleaded sometimes.

I didn't get a free glass though, da fuq? How did you manage that :(

Cup In bits
Them glasses were an old run but were dated for most years of Ferrari's competing in F1 so they have probably added 2012 & 2013 and started punting them again. My dads a taxi so I will have the full set soon most likely.

Chip, some cars definately need higher octane fuel though right? Mine, my dads and mates Honda's never seemed to run right unless it was optimax (other fuels available). I do know there pump fuel is top stuff over there.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, some cars definately need higher octane fuel though right? Mine, my dads and mates Honda's never seemed to run right unless it was optimax (other fuels available). I do know there pump fuel is top stuff over there.

The key thing is ignition timing, in the case of a high compression or high boost motor the ignition timing has a much narrower window for peak performance/economy at any given point than on a "normal" engine, and particularly lower down in the rev range where the volumetric efficiency is higher just slightly too much ignition can lead to detonation.

The RON rating of the fuel is its ability to resist detonating from pure heat and cylinder pressure generated from the burn before the flame front actually reaches it and so if you have an engine mapped for 98 RON fuel, and its mapped right on the edge of that detonation, you can end up with some real problems if you run less, to counter this on modern engines there is a knock sensor that detects the problem and pulls a big chunk of ignition timing out to save the engine but that in turn loses you a lot of the performance.
Without the knock sensor though its far worse, the detonation will destroy the pistons and kill the engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The 350z lads are positive your there engines will die if they use standard unleaded.

T

My turbo would melt if I did a trackday in it on normal unleaded, I could easily remap it to stop that (richen it up a touch more and/or pull a little timing) but I choose to keep it mapped for 98+ only as I get better performance that way and I know im not a wally who is going to put the wrong fuel into it.
When I map cars for people I always explain to them the risks that if they bring it for mapping with 98RON fuel in it that they should never use it on any less, if they want to run it on 95 *EVER* at full throttle, then they need to be bringing it for mapping on that fuel as well, as the only way to guarantee it wont detonate on a given fuel is to map for that fuel.

The downsides to mapping for a 95 fuel if you are going to run 98 is that you will lose performance, but also in extreme cases you can actually end up with others issues, for example if you have a very high comp engine and then boost it as well (ie when people bolt on turbos to a standard comp F4R motor) the fuel needs to have some decent det resistance in order for you to avoid having to run the ignition very retarded, and thats very important because retarded ignition means a less efficient burn and higher EGTs.

The only way I would suggest swapping from one fuel to another on a highly tuned engine is with a switchable map.

Cup In bits
Yeah Honda's especially are the cars I have run that you notice a real difference, I guess its because there mapped for the fuel in the JDM.

I just filled up the Clio for the first time with this stuff, £54 went in @ £1.49 and it was pretty empty too, does a trophy have a bigger tank or something?