ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shock Horror, Sir_Dave buys a Diseaseal ...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Now get some X5's -
luke1.gif

omg,if done write in amamphacite.................superb...

172, Tiguan
Dave I don't bloody believe this....I bought exactly the same car last week, in black!

Mine has Xenons, though yours appears to have 3 rear headrests! I'm loving mine. Haven't actually had 5 mins to look at mine yet, but hoping to give it a wash this weekend and take some pics.

I've been quoted £155 to have the swirl flaps deleted (parts + 2 hrs labour) and have ordered the vortex filter already. Mine has done 88k.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
That interior looks very nice.

When pootling about, do they feel rear wheel drive?

After a few days, i think i acually prefer this interior to the leather!! Certainly makes a nice change, although its bound to be a nightmare to keep clean - something to think about if you have kids to get around ...

Re: RWD, id say so yes, whilst its not the most powerful car in the world, its still lovely just have the steering wheels steering, & on long corners with your foot down you can still feel it nicely planted at the rear. Most importantly, if i want to have fun, i still can.

Rain + DSC off + roundabout = fun

nice car dave, how long until you shred the tyres on this??

Oh ages, although the Trophy's front left T1R seems to be wearing a little thin on the outside edge already, & ive only done about 250 miles ;)

Dave I don't bloody believe this....I bought exactly the same car last week, in black!

Mine has Xenons, though yours appears to have 3 rear headrests! I'm loving mine. Haven't actually had 5 mins to look at mine yet, but hoping to give it a wash this weekend and take some pics.

I've been quoted £155 to have the swirl flaps deleted (parts + 2 hrs labour) and have ordered the vortex filter already. Mine has done 88k.

Great minds Jon!! After weighing up & the pro's & cons, etc, the 320d just seemed to be the right blend of comfort, handling & economy. Fingers crossed with the preventative maintenance thats we're both doing, they'll be reliable as well ...

£155 isnt so bad, is that at PMW in Essex,or are you permanently oop nurth now?. I know that im bound to regret being tight & fitting them myself lol. Its bound to be a right biatch ...

Not sure when yours was last serviced, but they recommend a fairly regular oil change on these as well, certainly not the 15k intervals that car tells you, hence why im doing a full service on mine asap. Might be worthwhile you gettng some some degreaser for the EGR as well, most are pretty sooted up after 60k apparently.

Great choice btw. Black = :cool:

172, Tiguan
Yep mine has full dealer service history and was Inspection 2'd 700 miles ago, so i'm good to go for a while, but will get the oil changed every 8k I think. I've got a receipt from a local garage for an oil breather, so not sure if it's already had the vortex thing put in, but i'll get PMW to check when it goes in. Yup, still working down south at the mo so this is my new commute car.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If it is the same as the 07 320d's my mates has just had a map and its transformed the car. Its not made it a racer just how it feels it should be from the factory. Much less shifting and revving to get it to go. Peak torque at 2000 revs which is around 80 in 6th so ideal for the mway too.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'll do the swirl flaps- from the PDF I have it looks easy.

Think the pdf over simplifies things somewhat lol ... the online guide looks much harder, not so much getting the flaps off, but getting to them in the 1st place lol ...

BTW Dave, DMS, Angeltuning? I quite fancy +30bhp and +50lb ft for £275. :D

Cant say i've looked into it that much yet, gonna run it for 10k to iron out any problems 1st i think. Although £275 is a bargain lol!! Used Angel Tuning in the past for my 206 & they were fine though, shame the clutch wasnt :dapprove:

I feel dirty for saying this, but I'd drive that.

:eek: <3 fellow short ar5e approval.

172, Tiguan
As far as the swirl flaps go, for the sake of £100 labour I think i'd rather just let someone do it. Removing the manifold looks a bit fiddly for my patience span.

The xenons are lovely, though people keep flashing me every 2 mins. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Removing the manifold looks a bit fiddly for my patience span.

Same here lol ... Budgie, help, for Stella tokens?

Now have the following sat under my desk at work:

1. Swirl flap blanks
2. Vortex oil seperator
3. 7 litres of Castrol Edge5W30 (5l for service)
4. Oil/air/cabin/fuel filters

£200 on service items. Dervs are cheap on fuel at least though lol ...

330i. E30 Touring.
Link me up to a detailed guide? Won't be too tricky, i'm sure.

And Stella tokens? LOL- accountancy services rendered.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
And Stella tokens? LOL- accountancy services rendered.

Ha. Good point ;)

I plan on doing all this on Saturday!

Servicing: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/servicing-your-e46-320td-or-320d-t15391/
Cleaning EGR Valve: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/cleaning-your-egr-valve-on-320td-320d-t15943/
Swirl Flap Removal: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/e46-320td-320d-swirl-flap-replacement-t15571/
Replacing Oil Breather: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/replacing-the-oil-breather-on-e46-320td-or-t15944/

EGR + oil breather need to removed to get the inlet off, so makes sense to do it all at once ...

172, Tiguan
Dave, if you get on swimmingly with all of this let me know, I might pop round the M25...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Dave, if you get on swimmingly with all of this let me know, I might pop round the M25...

Will let you know, i'll update the thread with pics anyway though, probably of Mike swearing at me, as he struggles to pull apart the derv bus ... the story will of course be written in the 3rd person as per usual, just to amuse ph-reebone ;)

Doesn't sound too tricky.

Reckon Sarah could entertain Blondie while we do that?

They could start drinking for nite out early lol? Or, there are plenty of shops in Basingstoke for Blondie to spend her/your money in ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Right ho, time for a little update.

On Saturday, i popped over to Sarah's parents house, complete with a big box of new parts, my toolkit, a laptop full of 'how to' guides & a huge dose of mechanical ability ...

After 5 hours, the swirl flaps were removed, the EGR valve cleaned, the pollen/air filters changed and most importantly, the swirl flaps were in the bin! Didnt take many photo's during the procedure as i was covered in dirt & didnt want to get my iPhone grubby :eek: but i did make sure that i took one with the engine i bits, just to prove to Budgie, etc that i had actually done something myself, without their help ...

Yup, i was a little concerned at this point, i've only had the car 2 weeks & its already in bits ;)

d94fe01d.jpg

To be honest, it was a little fiddly, but the guides were spot on!! Now i've done it once, i reckon 3 hours max. if i have to do it again. Worst bit was undoing the pipes/sensors under the manifold (with it in situ) so that i could pull it off, along with the airbox, what a b4stard getting that thing back on lol :mad:

Once it was all back together, i had a beer, just to calm my nerves before switching it back on again (just in case something had fallen off & it ate itself, on Sarah's drive, & left a huge pile of oil/engine parts outside their garage). Thankfully it was ok, started 1st time with no odd noises & drives exactly the same as it did before. Winner.

Once that was done, i moved onto the inside in order to fit my latest toy, a Parrot MKi9200 handsfree kit. Now to those that dont know, this essentially allows me to control my phone (for handsfree), iPod, msic on SD Card, etc all from one screen, replicating the iPod perfectly so i can scroll through music, etc with ease. Essentially, its awesome, & well worth the £140 or so that it cost me. Fitting took about 2 hours (i did it properly, hiding the control modeule behind the glovebox, hiding all wires, etc) and the sound is actually better than the standard stereo, due to the internal digital amplifier. I did break one of the dashstrip retaining clips though, so ill need to get the superglue out if i want it to fit flush again :dapprove:

Only thing i dont like about it is the remote control, its wireless & supposed to fit onto the steering wheel, but im not overly sure, think i'll mount it down my the gearlever instead ..

3c8aa65e.jpg

1875fc8b.jpg

Still averaging 42-44mpg as well, which to some, might not seem amazing, but thats with it being spanked everywhere ... got 52mpg the other day when sat at 70mph on the way home.

Feel free to ask any questions, strangely enough, despite my utter hatred for dervs, this thing is really getting under my skin. All the brilliance of the e46, but with decent mpg, quite possibly the perfect everyday car for £5k?!!

Corsa Van. Meh.
Awesome. Good work. I'm still deliberating over whether to get the e90 or e46 320d.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Didn't realise the swirl flaps was such a long job, at least you have peace of mind now though. What has the seats been like on long journeys?

330i. E30 Touring.
That pic was blatently as Sarah's Dad/Brother went in to wash the oil from his hands. ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Didn't realise the swirl flaps was such a long job, at least you have peace of mind now though. What has the seats been like on long journeys?

Yup, you have to take the inlet manifold off, which means basically dismantling the top of the engine lol. Also, due to BMW sticking half the engine under the bulkhead for weight distribution, you have to take most of that apart as well :S

Seats are great btw, i get a bad back in shoddy cars, & have no trouble with these, 2-3k miles a month is no problem thats for sure.

Awesome. Good work. I'm still deliberating over whether to get the e90 or e46 320d.

I love the e90, & a colleague bought a 320d M Sport the same weekend as i got mine, but for an extra £6k, im not so sure. Extra depreciation = extra running costs.

Tbh I think it would be Sarah working on the car before Dave got his hands dirty ;)

lol, cheeky bugger. She was asleep all day iirc. Got the lurgy :dead:

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Good effort Dave! I like the look of the Parrot, think I might have to get myself one.

What's the switch between drivers window and rear window switch? Is that the one to kill the window switches in the back?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Getting his hand dirty and not a grinder in sight! :eek:

172, Tiguan
I'm kinda glad I get to sip coffee and read magazines whilst somebody else does this for me tbh.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Good work that man! You now qualify as no 3 mechanic for the JMS race team.....James is a given and Mike has proved himself with his Grinder skillz. I fear Nick will only be qualified to clean the screen during pit stops the rate he's going.....

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
how do you live with the diesel noise? is the 320d that much of a tractor or not? (srs question) I just can't seem to get myself to buy a diesel... but then i don't do the 30k a year you do!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Good effort Dave! I like the look of the Parrot, think I might have to get myself one.

What's the switch between drivers window and rear window switch? Is that the one to kill the window switches in the back?

Yup, middle switch is for Le Mans, to stop which ever of you muppets is in the back messing with windows ;) And yeah, the Parrot is fantastic, gives far better sound quality than the standard BMW stereo as well lol, you'll need a SOT-060 adapter in order to connect the Parrot wiring to the BMW harness though. Costs about £8 on eBay :)

Getting his hand dirty and not a grinder in sight! :eek:

Nah, it was in the garage, only Budgie's qualified to use it unfortunately :eek:

Good work that man! You now qualify as no 3 mechanic for the JMS race team.....James is a given and Mike has proved himself with his Grinder skillz. I fear Nick will only be qualified to clean the screen during pit stops the rate he's going.....

Isnt number 3 mechanic the one that does up the centre strap on your harness though?

It would be a privilege, i think
unsure.gif

how do you live with the diesel noise? is the 320d that much of a tractor or not? (srs question) I just can't seem to get myself to buy a diesel... but then i don't do the 30k a year you do!

To be quite honest, on start up (especially when cold), & getting up to about 40mph, it sounds like a transit. An old one, with a knocking bottom end. But once moving, & sat at 70-90 leptons its silent, quiter than the 330ci in fact!! But no, if i didnt do soo many miles, id still be a in a petrol, £££'s are being saved, but at the expense of my aural pleasure :dapprove:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Having removed the swirl flaps, thought i'd do a quick write up, in laymans terms to explain what they do/how they fail, etc.

The flaps are designed to create a 'swirl' or 'tumble of air' to aid better combustion under light load and subsequently help with driveability in low load conditions. They are controlled by a vacuum/solenoid actuator and are closed during light-load operations, ie idling at traffic lights, changing gear & deceleration - to maximise combustion efficiency, fuel economy and emissions performance. The flaps are fully open during higher load conditions to maximise volumetric efficiency and power output.

Unfortunately, having sucha device on the inlet manifold is potentially disasterous, ie if parts break/fall off, the debris will be sucked into the engine.

This is obviously bad!! and the broken pieces have been known to either stick in the valve port, jamming it open (causing the piston to collide with the valve), or fall into the cylinder itself - causing the piston and head to become damaged.

How they work:

The flaps (tee hee, flaps ...):

After removal (note how minging & black they are!!):
f1ae7b82.jpg

Actuator side:
fa927011.jpg

Showing the small screw, which 9/10 falls off & into your engine:
47c1096d.jpg

Essentially, you remove all the above, probably by following this guide, and fill the remaining holes with swirl flap blanks:

SFps_two_w300xh295.jpg

Which are available for about £45 from either:

www.pmwltd.co.uk
www.swirlflaps.co.uk

Hope that's useful :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did they ever go wrong within the warranty period Dave? I mean that's a seriosu problem so even after the warranty was out i'd still be looking to BMW.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Dave I'm not a BMW diesel expert and nor do I want to be... but are they still using swirl flaps on their current engines or have they realised the error of their ways?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Did they ever go wrong within the warranty period Dave? I mean that's a seriosu problem so even after the warranty was out i'd still be looking to BMW.

Yeah, they did, in which case BMW fixed it FOC as far as im aware, its when the warranty ran out that the trouble started, bit like previously with the 'Nikasil issue' & Audi with the 2.0 Tdi engine failures, they had/have a habit of saying 'bugger off' - hence the introduction of the blanks to remove the things altogether.

Dave I'm not a BMW diesel expert and nor do I want to be... but are they still using swirl flaps on their current engines or have they realised the error of their ways?

I dont want to be a derv expert either tbh :( Bmw did redesign the manifold in 2004 in order to strengthen the flaps, but they are still there, albeit stronger versions. I'd rather just try to prevent the problem in the 1st place. Oh, and it kept me out of trouble for 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon!!