ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a Clio sport for a daily ?

Seat Ibiza fr
New to this forum stuff....

I’ve Wanted to buy a Clio sport now for some time , currently have a SEAT Ibiza FR (sh*te) have been looking at the newest models (220 trophy ) however no manual option and slightly over budget , how costly can they become repair wise, if the box goes as I’ve seen a lot online for example or other problems ,I know mpg isn’t the best but who buys one to worry about fuel 😂 also any advise on upgrade parts to help with faults ?
what sort of millage figures is ideal for reliability

The attached image is an example of what I’m looking for spec wise .

Attachments

• 7F9E5FB5-77B7-4515-B060-B67106EFB606.png
    7F9E5FB5-77B7-4515-B060-B67106EFB606.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
Renaults (and most french cars) are good for lots of miles, 200k+ without issue if serviced and maintained properly - everything you don't need falls off or breaks but the important bits keep on working ;)

Clio 197
Mk3 is not great on fuel so depends on your commute distance

Mine averaged 30 mpg combined which was very close to the book figure. 1*2 tend to hover around 34 mpg in my experience. I wouldn’t say that’s terrible at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My current 182 engine does 40mpg commuting.

My old 200 used to do 24/25 😂

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Mine averaged 30 mpg combined which was very close to the book figure. 1*2 tend to hover around 34 mpg in my experience. I wouldn’t say that’s terrible at all.

No its not terrible but over a certain mileage a day its worth considering as its not briliant.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I got sick of commuting in mine, which is why I sold it.

Using a clutch in traffic is just annoying, and the driving position used to ruin my back.

Seat Ibiza fr
Mk3 is not great on fuel so depends on your commute distance
Works 10 mins away 👍🏻 Do quite a few long trips throughout the year to watch the f1 & BTCC and also couple trips to scotland a year which is normally taking people aswell so petrol is always split so that wouldn’t kill me

Seat Ibiza fr
I got sick of commuting in mine, which is why I sold it.

Using a clutch in traffic is just annoying, and the driving position used to ruin my back.
Have that now in my current , works only 10 mins away but the traffic in the morning is garbage 🖕🏻

Clio 197
You want a MK4 220 but have attached an image for a MK3 200, both of which are totally different cars in terms of drivetrain.

MK3 - Plenty of common issues which you'll come across during a search.

MK4 - Seem to be much more reliable and don't require as much upkeep.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Confused, you say you are looking at mk4 (auto only) and post a picture of mk3? Which one do you want will help?

Seat Ibiza fr
Any major things that can be checked during an overall viewing/test drive , I’ve seen k-tech have one that’s been fully looked over additional upgrades and the gearbox has had a good look over

Attachments

• F8E29F61-694A-44A0-91E4-590321105351.png
    F8E29F61-694A-44A0-91E4-590321105351.png
    778.4 KB · Views: 105
  • CC67D189-FE4A-4DBD-9D0D-BABB85FE07CF.png
    CC67D189-FE4A-4DBD-9D0D-BABB85FE07CF.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 81

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Any major things that can be checked during an overall viewing/test drive , I’ve seen k-tech have one that’s been fully looked over additional upgrades and the gearbox has had a good look over

Just so your aware that is an mk3 and therefore manual drive

Clio 197
For that money you should be able to get a very good 200 or an absolutely mint 197 in liquid yellow.

In terms of reliability upgrades, I’m going to assume you’ve done your research on common faults (if not, get a blank cheque ready).

Replacing the faulty parts with OEM replacements is the best way to go as there are very few upgraded replacement parts. I believe Renault have upgraded certain replacement parts that needed doing (blower/heater wiring and gearbox synchros [iirc]) and someone on the other forum does uprated balljoints etc.

Mileage wise, there are cars running 130,000+ therefore there’s not really any issues there if the car has been cared for. There are so many clios out there that you shouldn’t have to settle for one.

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Cleanest 1*2 you can find then the remainder of your budget making it mint, plenty parts and for a daily reasonable mpg, I'm getting 36mpg without trying. Great wee cars imo and wish I had hot one sooner

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Mk2 late model make great commute cars where I live, quiet a roads and b road options for spirited detours. Hence I've run mine for 7 years now every day.

Mk3 I have no real experience of but to me it's just a more expensive way of achieving same thing.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@Dug1992

This is my daily 182, 212k on her now, all original running gear, engine, gearbox, driveshafts etc etc.

Everything still works pretty much, so cruise, traction, abs, climate control all fine. Auto xenon headlights. All the daily creature comforts you need.

Cheap to run and great fun in the twisties. Even use it on track from time to time when the track car isn't available

received_2594068074166897.jpeg
received_558560654777990.jpeg
received_561965537778652.jpeg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
maybe I'm just getting old but I cant think of anything worse than daily driving a mk2 Clio. I daily drove a mk3 for a year at the time about 40 miles a day and it was spot on, night and day over my mk2's

MK4 was the best daily I've had but over budget and no manual as you say

Clio 172
Ran my 172 for 50k+ Miles without much bother (on 169k now) as a daily commuter...120 B road miles a day :)
I moved the drivers seat position lower with a bucket seat and lower sub frame and extended the gear stick to improve ergonomics.
So long as you change the oil every 10k and don’t rush the gearbox it should last.
Brakes, tyres and shocks have been my only consumables really.
Misfires are pretty much always a faulty / blocked injector.
You can’t beat them for cheap smiles per mile.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
maybe I'm just getting old but I cant think of anything worse than daily driving a mk2 Clio. I daily drove a mk3 for a year at the time about 40 miles a day and it was spot on, night and day over my mk2's

MK4 was the best daily I've had but over budget and no manual as you say

I'm about to turn 37, tried a comfy boosty saab for a more age appropriate approach to a daily more befitting my vintage..... Hated it, f**k comfort, straight back into the 182

Clio 197
I have an FN2 civic (coming from 3.5 years of volvos was a shock) although the clios in standard form are comfier for a hot hatch so you are probably ok. Although personal preference [emoji846]

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Coming from a fr which i assume is boosted. Beware the relative lack of low down torque. The 182 hides this better because of lower weight.

The 197 or 200 you will need to be top of rev range to keep up with relatively modest looking modern turbo petrol or diesel cars.

Ok on a back road or track but can be tiresome.

Mpg as said is noticeable. In reality much more powerful and heavier Meganes are comparable to 200 if not better under light load. Whereas 182 on regular unleaded gets close to some diesels for cost per mile.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'm about to turn 37, tried a comfy boosty saab for a more age appropriate approach to a daily more befitting my vintage..... Hated it, f**k comfort, straight back into the 182
I love my 182 I just feel any time I daily drive it for an extended period of time it gets very tiresome. On the right road, on the right day, a few times a month it's fantastic but sitting in traffic it's loud, uncomfortable, unrefined, heavy clutch, heavy steering, needs revved to make progress.

Life would be boring if we all liked the same tho

Driving is only ever going to get slower, more restricted (because 'safe') and more boring, so 100% enjoy it while you can.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I love my 182 I just feel any time I daily drive it for an extended period of time it gets very tiresome. On the right road, on the right day, a few times a month it's fantastic but sitting in traffic it's loud, uncomfortable, unrefined, heavy clutch, heavy steering, needs revved to make progress.

Life would be boring if we all liked the same tho

Yeah definitely, different strokes for different folks I guess. Regularly commute 130 miles to Welwyn Garden from Derbyshire in mine, no issues. Spent a lot of time and effort though sorting the right mods to make it relatively quiet, refined and comfortable for daily use.