ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I sell my 182 cup for a Fabia VRS

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
I purchased my cup 3 months ago and really love it. But with fuel prices going up, I have looked at a VRS and they are very nice. They can be chipped and modded to 180bhp with 305lbs of torque for very little money. Plus the insurance is cheaper and I would get double the mpg in the VRS. But I really like the cup.

Any ideas anyone??

Pug 107
Have a word with the Skoda dealer (they tend to be friendly) and try it for a day, then see if you are still as keen. I had an Octavia vRS - it was recovered by the AA a total of 6 times in my two years of ownership (coil packs).

I think I will see if they will let me use the car for the day. I have always liked the Fabia VRS and almost got one in feb. But the big kid in me won and I got the Cup instead. I looked at the Octavia, but I woul not save in fuel costs. I am trying to cut down on spending on fuel. I have almost cut it down a third from having my FRS and would like to cut it even more. But I cant resist the temptation to rev the Cup as the engine sounds awesome. But it is not helping my bank balance.

I had thought of that. My car cost me 10K when I bought it and it is 16 months old and done 15,000 miles now. I bought it at 12,000 miles. The Fabia I have seen is for 9K and absolutely in mint condition. I do about 1000 miles a month, give or take a little. The odds are stacked towards the VRS. But the cup is so much fun. Decisions decisions.

I'd keep the Cup its more fun. Plus the saving on fuel you'll never realy make up unless you do massive milage.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
For a diesel car, they reckon that you have to do circa 17K+ per annum to make up for the amount of premium that a diesel car is over its petrol equivalent, plus the extra cost of diesel over petrol. You can get 40+ mpg out of a 172/182 with the right driving...which I think is V.Good for a pocket rocket like the 2.0 litre clios

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Think back to 3 months ago and remember the reasons you opted for the Clio....then stick with it, you were right then and are right now :)

Turbos.
I sway in and out of the same thinking. Petrol is cheaper but then i get Optimax which at the moment is around 102p compared to 99.9p for Diesel. Not massive but that psychological 3 figure sum does bother me!

But if i think harder, i would have to spend money to get the VRS to be nippy and to kind of handle...so that is a grand gone easily! A false economy unless you plan to keep the car for years.

keep your car, like the other poster said you need to drive lots of a miles a year to really make a saving. Plus the Skoda looks horrible.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
inferno cup said:
I had thought of that. My car cost me 10K when I bought it and it is 16 months old and done 15,000 miles now. I bought it at 12,000 miles. The Fabia I have seen is for 9K and absolutely in mint condition. I do about 1000 miles a month, give or take a little. The odds are stacked towards the VRS. But the cup is so much fun. Decisions decisions.

12k a year isn't really enough to benefit from a diesel. You need to be doing over 20k to see savings in fuel over a petrol car.

Snotter's
wait a while and see what happens with fuel prices,not meaning you but as soon as anything goes up in price they think oh i need to save lets buy a diesel !!! by the time you have advertised your car and no doubt taken a hit on the price what have you saved ? unless you do lots of miles stick with what you know and trust

clio 200 F4Rt
i will be part ex'ing the g/f's 1.2 clio for a Fabia VRS later in the year hopefully. and to be honest i am really looking forward to it! excellent cars!

You need to work out the costs but the money you'll lose probably won't be be near the fuel saving I'd recon you'd save about £500 per 10k milage so use that as a rough guide.
It depends how you drive though I drive very hard so 55mpg from a diesel and 29 or less from a petrol so my savings are much bigger than somone doing 70mpg in a diesel and 50mpg in a petrol.
If I did 12k or less a year I'd get the petrol.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Me and my girlfriend are going to get a Fabia VRS in the near future, but we are still going to keep our 172. I think the Fabia's are great little cars, but i wouldn't swap my 172 for one.

Megane225FF
If you're gonna chip the vrs, then fuel economy will go down..
You really need to be doing serious amounts of miles for it to be beneficial..
I say keep your bus.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
donnyo said:
For a diesel car, they reckon that you have to do circa 17K+ per annum to make up for the amount of premium that a diesel car is over its petrol equivalent, plus the extra cost of diesel over petrol. You can get 40+ mpg out of a 172/182 with the right driving...which I think is V.Good for a pocket rocket like the 2.0 litre clios

lol 40mpg from anything petrol over 1.4 is quite comical really, I don't reset the computer in the DCI and after about 2000 miles, it has averaged 47mpg. If I were to drive it like you drive the 182 getting 40mpg I'd get about 70mpg. You say diesel is more expensive than petrol, but I use Shell all the time, and with petrol cars I use Optimax, and with diesels their diesel extra is almost 10p cheaper than optimax. Then again, if you use the normal octane fuel then yes, you save all of 2p per litre over diesel, but over 1 tank you've saved a lot.

I know this doesn't apply accross the range, but the Tax for a 1.5 DCI is £80 for a year.

You also mention you must do 17k miles a year, does that mean after that ONE year you start saving money ??? Because if so, who owns a Clio for less than a year??

cliokhunt said:
lol 40mpg from anything petrol over 1.4 is quite comical really, I don't reset the computer in the DCI and after about 2000 miles, it has averaged 47mpg. If I were to drive it like you drive the 182 getting 40mpg I'd get about 70mpg. You say diesel is more expensive than petrol, but I use Shell all the time, and with petrol cars I use Optimax, and with diesels their diesel extra is almost 10p cheaper than optimax. Then again, if you use the normal octane fuel then yes, you save all of 2p per litre over diesel, but over 1 tank you've saved a lot.

I know this doesn't apply accross the range, but the Tax for a 1.5 DCI is £80 for a year.

You also mention you must do 17k miles a year, does that mean after that ONE year you start saving money ??? Because if so, who owns a Clio for less than a year??
47mpg out of a dci what engine do you have? I've the 65 model and only with none stop track days and everyday hammering I adverage at 47mpg over 6k
Tax for the dci used to be £80 then it went up to £85 now its down to £50.
40mpg is possible in a 172/182 depeds how you drive. I've not that much self control.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have the 80 brake. 47 is with me controlling when in town, and foot down when appropriate (ok nearly all the time).

Saw an Enzo driving about the other day on my way to the shops. Took a couple of crappy videos as the sound is wonderful, seeing that kind of car just makes me wish I could have my no claims back.

cliokhunt said:
Saw an Enzo driving about the other day on my way to the shops. Took a couple of crappy videos as the sound is wonderful, seeing that kind of car just makes me wish I could have my no claims back.

And a lottery win thrown in, presumably? Like insurance would be an issue if you could afford the F60??

:rasp:

cliokhunt said:
I have the 80 brake. 47 is with me controlling when in town, and foot down when appropriate (ok nearly all the time).

Arr right town driving must be killing that worst I've ever got on road was 37 and I'm adveraging 55 so I thought something must be seriously driven all the time or different driving than I'm used to.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Lets think about this logically. Now lets take away all the fancy letter like 'VRS' and 'CUP' and wot ur thinking of doing is swapping a perfectly good RENAULT for a SKODA???

Keep the cup!!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
No!

keep the Clio.

If you're determined, get an Ibiza FR PD130 - new model has same engine, similar spec as Fabia and 17's as standard (also not yuk yuk 5 door like Fabia)

AND chippable to 170bhp, 300 lb/ft +

^ that's what I'd buy if I'd got cash now

Clio 197
From a long term point of view, I'd have the Fabia:

I need two new rear shocks already (Jan05 182) at £100 for parts alone.

Wait until the exhaust goes... that'll be another few hundred quid!

Depreciation.... (not good!).

BUT the 172/182 is SO much fun! :D

Vee dub
Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
Keep the Cup, Why would anyone want a skoda, I know there VW blahblah, but at the end of the day its got a Skoda badge on it, Oldmans cars

Yeah blah blah blah Skoda is VW/Audi Group.... saying "but it's a Skoda" is pretty naive... its a quality built car with a great engine... simple

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
I used to have an Octavia vRS and it was a perfectly decent car.

The Fabia vRS is however a one trick pony. It has about 2000rpm worth of push in a straight line but then there is a corner. It's very softly sprung and has a lot of weight up front so it's handling is dire - understeer city!

Even if you lower the car, all you do is ruin the ride without improving the handling.

Chip it and you increase the insurance, lose your warrenty and lower increase the fuel consumption (as well as throwing a load of soot out of the back).

You should be able to get 38mpg on a run with the Cup so stick with that.

Steve

TDI tyre shreader
Have you ever driven a diesel if you have you'll know what they are like and thats crap they are good at one thing and thats economy. I assume you like your driving and thats why you bought a 182!! there is no way you could drive a vrs the same as a 182 due to the power delivery of all the power between 2981rpm and 2982rpm, rather than 7000rpm bang next gear and so on.
I do a fair few miles and considered getting a diesel then decided against it bcause i like driving properly!! plus i get 40+ mpg out of my 172 and i can get 400miles + out of a tank. then at weekends i tear the head off it!!! great fun!!!

keep the 182 you know it makes sense

I test drove a VRS today and I was very impressed. The drive was effortless and had the car for nearly 45 minutes testing it. The dealer just threw me the keys and said "take as long as you like". So I did!
They are not as quick off the mark as my cup, but they really storm through the mid range and thats where most of my driving is done. I drive down twisty and hilly b roads and the VRS just soaked them up. The torque just pulls and pulls from 2000rpm up to about 4000rpm. Just like the cup, keep it in the right gear and the revs right and it flies. I did not experience any understeer from the car. I think that was due to the F1 Eagles the car had on. The car felt solid and planted to the road.
I also spoke to a chap at the garage who was picking up his third VRS. He changes his car yearly. He used to have an Evo and said that since he got the VRS and remapped it. It was nearly as quick accelerating in the mid range as his evo. 300lbs of torque. Nice. Still he returned 55+mpg. I am seriously considering getting one now. Overall the car will be much cheaper to run, as I am going to keep it 3 years. As cannot afford to change it again. The road tax for the VRS is £110 a year! I will save £250 on my insurance each year (average) Loads on fuel, as my calculation was slighty out from 12k. I worked out I am doing 16k a year and over 3 years. That is an approximate saving (on current fuel prices) of nearly £2500. Work that all out over a 3 year period and thats alot of saving!!
Yes short term I have lost £1500 in 3 months. Which in my book is alot. But 53 plate 172's are now part ex for about £6000 if you are lucky. I stand to lose another £2000 off my cup in the next year based on that figure. The VRS seem to have a stronger resale value. But truth be known, if I was to get the VRS. I would keep it as a work car and get a best car for the weekend.
I can look past the badge, as the car felt really solid to drive and the seats are really comfy. I could have driven that car all day as it was really fun!!
and yes, I am slightly mental before anyone says!!

ILLIAD VEE!!
inferno cup - some good, rational thinking there, m8!

I really like the Fabia vRS, but I'd still favour my 182 over one. If you have family, plus plenty of mileage, I think the vRS would make more sense - otherwise, stick with the Reno. Warts and all, you know it makes sense....:cool:

D.