ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 172 Cup Project

Ollie's Silver Cup
Been busy the past couple of days! :D

New tyres arrived and were fitted yesterday; they were delivered by a taxi, which was a shock!! :cry: Tomorrow it's going in for timing belt, accessories belt, full-on service and throttle body cleaning :)

Car audio has become a bit of a hobby over the past couple of years, so I've been deciding on what to do in the Clio. Having the cup, I wanted to keep it as light as possible, meaning sadly a sub-woofer wasn't the most preferable option for this car.

I'm compromising and changing the standard front and rear speakers for fairly high-end aftermarket replacements; running from head unit, sound processor and amplifiers :D

I'll be doing it in a couple of stages, firstly getting the headunit, processor, amplifier and front components sorted. Then, adding another amplifier and the rear speakers :)

I have some of it ready to go in and picked up some of the cables today too :D

Alpine PDX 2.150 amplifier, for running the components up front. Perfect for the system I want in the cup with it being so small in size :)

3989238079_3c6bf37d96.jpg

Alpine Imprint audio processor and sound tuning kit :D

3989992884_7a35cc0a6e.jpg

JL Audio premium interconnects, 12 AWG speaker cable and 0/2 AWG power distribution block

3989993486_fa32a28d14.jpg

Head unit should be back and ready to go in soon; Alpine IVA-D106R, which is currently away with Alpine UK who are sorting a warranty issue.

Then it just leaves the speakers, which will be JL Audio ZR components; planning on having these in the next 2-3 weeks :D

Ollie's Silver Cup
Silver! Amazing! Love it mate. And aircon too, lovely stuff!

The air-con confused me at first, as I didn't know it was available as an option on cup's at all! Suppose in the Summer it will be pretty cool :)

As I posted a couple of days ago, the bumper and tailgate's been drilled through when the last set of plates were fitted :(

Meaning when my reg transfer is complete, my shorter 'cut-down' plates won't cover the holes that have been drilled about 50mm apart! :(

So, I've just this moment ordered some pressed metal plates; GB badge, UK font, etc :D

Pretty annoying that I can't use my shorter plates, but hoping these will look pretty good :cool:

Ollie's Silver Cup
Not long got back from picking the car up after a full-on service! :D

New timing belt, new accessories belt, k-tec air filter, new rear pads, oil and oil filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, throttle body cleaned, tracking and a couple of other little bits.

Improvement is massive! So much more responsive, so much smoother! :)

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Oli,

Glad you impressed even more after refreshments.

Silvur is thé colour to be had no matter what they say! LOL

Great photo's by-the-way.

Gordini Cliosport 182
Oi you,

dont be coming down to my work to book your car in without coming and saying hi to me!!!!

ZR's are all ready for next Sat!
Will sort out the dynamat for it too.

Cant wait

Ollie's Silver Cup
Oi you,

dont be coming down to my work to book your car in without coming and saying hi to me!!!!

ZR's are all ready for next Sat!
Will sort out the dynamat for it too.

Cant wait

Hey buddy,

I came into the showroom first, but you wern't around :nono:

Brought my head unit away with me this morning too; think it's had a replacement laser? :D

Other than the dynamat, I think the only other thing I need is some power cable :)

Gordini Cliosport 182
I was there, lurking about somewhere! could of had a coffee!

I will also sort out some cable for you. We have plenty. Whats all this audio advice you are giving out? Am i not needed anymore? "sob sob"
Hope people are not taking your dodgy advice. I wouldn't!!!!

Mats are in stock now and stickers should be with me monday.

ibiza cupra
looks mint mate. you sound like me and get board easy then start thinking "what can i do to it next" lol.

Ollie's Silver Cup
I was there, lurking about somewhere! could of had a coffee!

I will also sort out some cable for you. We have plenty. Whats all this audio advice you are giving out? Am i not needed anymore? "sob sob"
Hope people are not taking your dodgy advice. I wouldn't!!!!

Mats are in stock now and stickers should be with me monday.

haha! My audio advice is awesome! :rasp:

I'm on the way back home soon, so may pop in and collect the ZR's on the way past :D

Get the kettle on! lol! :cool:

looks mint mate. you sound like me and get board easy then start thinking "what can i do to it next" lol.

I do get bored easy :cry:

Having said that, I'm planning everything on the Clio properly before I do it, rather than jumping from one idea to another :)

TTRS & V50
The air-con confused me at first, as I didn't know it was available as an option on cup's at all! Suppose in the Summer it will be pretty cool :)

As I posted a couple of days ago, the bumper and tailgate's been drilled through when the last set of plates were fitted :(

Meaning when my reg transfer is complete, my shorter 'cut-down' plates won't cover the holes that have been drilled about 50mm apart! :(

So, I've just this moment ordered some pressed metal plates; GB badge, UK font, etc :D

Pretty annoying that I can't use my shorter plates, but hoping these will look pretty good :cool:

Gutted about the plates. I like the shorter ones.

Cup with air con, looks like you got a good'un there.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Gutted about the plates. I like the shorter ones.

Cup with air con, looks like you got a good'un there.

I was a bit gutted about not being able to use the cut-down plates at first, but my new ones arrived in the week and they really suit the car I think :D

Last edited:
  Ollie's Silver Cup
Head unit, amplifier and front speakers are going in today! :D

I was going to run a second Alpine PDX-2.150 amp when I get around to sorting rear speakers, but I think I'm moving to the idea of using a single JL 450/4v2 to run both the front and rear speakers :)

Golf GTi Mk2
I had a silver 172 Cup with C/C, bought of Jon R on here, had to sell it as wanted a deposit for my house but would love another one, looks lovely mate.

Ollie's Silver Cup
A quick photo from earlier today :D

10220_163983401970_660606970_3212351_4082288_n.jpg

All the cables are routed and in, along with the head unit, woofers, tweeters and crossovers! Just the amplifier that needs finishing off in the week :)

Ollie's Silver Cup
how much was the amp?

bet that system sounds great!

carl

The list price from Alpine is just over £350 I think, but you can find them cheaper than that :)

Really looking forward to hearing those front speakers running! Most likely going to be Thursday.

I'll be changing to a JL Slash series amp when I sort the rear speakers :D

jl-audio-4504v2-full.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup
Nice, I had a DLS MS6A & Phase RS2 in my Opel Combo C - it sounded great. I bet this does too. Nice car too. :cool:

I had a JL W7 in my previous car, which I absolutely loved! The original plan was to run this with those JL ZR components :)

But, I'd really like to head more down the performance route with the Clio eventually, so didn't fancy the weight from the subwoofer :( Having said that, I'm hoping my compromise of using fairly high-end speakers and amplifier will still produce a sound I'm happy with :D

Ollie's Silver Cup
Few photo updates! :D

The amplifier was wired in on Thursday; the JL ZR speakers sound absolutely fantastic!! :evil:

That amplifier won't be used forever. As I posted before, it'll be switched for a 4-channel JL Audio slash series when I sort some rear speakers :)

4061222400_46286eec72.jpg

4061222966_1654bab00d.jpg

Couple of half decent photos of the headunit in the car now too! :cool:

4060477557_5cf6bff4b5.jpg

4060476593_f8ec362182.jpg

As the car didn't have any mat and I started to wear the carpet, it really needed some! Cheers to Ed (rxed) who sorted some top quality mats :D

4060477051_24d9eea9b3.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup
Pressed metal number plates; GB banding and font, etc :)

4061221012_3dd371709e.jpg

4061221416_03aaf4713e.jpg

4060478825_36b3e91836.jpg

Now the speakers, amp and headunit are in the car and running, there's a few things I'd like to get done this side of christmas :D

Sorting the small parking dents in the nearside rear quarted
Turini's refurbed...as they really need it!
Carbon front splitter
Badges and diamonds sprayed anthracite
Coilovers

:D

C180 kommpressor!
Thought i recognized the plate!!!!
HI OLLY WOLLY WOO LOL
loving the cup mate, put some pics up of that car you owned before and never cleaned.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Thought i recognized the plate!!!!
HI OLLY WOLLY WOO LOL
loving the cup mate, put some pics up of that car you owned before and never cleaned.

haha!! Aaron keeps telling me the SportKa looked better! Go give him a slap across the back of the head! :rasp:

There's some photos of it somewhere on here, from when I joined, but...

3915476812_f947edd90e.jpg

3922541062_07792740c3.jpg

3922538648_7dcbf9b889.jpg

What are you running around in now? Thought you were looking at an M3? :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
of the cup, but nowt wrong with pics of a nice car while I'm waiting ;)

C180 kommpressor!
Clio is looking good mate, ill give Aaron a smack when i see him next.
who had your ka, i would have gladly stuck a zt in that thing.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Your SportKa is p**n, f**king gorgeous!

As for the Headunit, how much space do you have behind the dash on yours? I know DVD units are larger!

Also, fitting the crossovers must have been a pain!