ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

340i
Re: Project 172k Trophy, & its endless track abuse

ahh pal, beee rrreeeyyyttteee

bang kettle on, we'll av' a brew, that'll sort tha' out.

iirc.

340i

I just put on my 'posh' voice when I meet strangers ;)

M135i and the shed

Wheels look epic. Look's properly serious now. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Wheels look epic. Look's properly serious now. :)

Why thank you, although admit it, you just like my harness fittings dont you :rasp:

looks cracking for the milage, how many miles now?

Only done about 1k in it since September (mostly on track lol), but its just rolled over to 173k miles :approve: still feels as tight as a drum!!

Megane 225 F1

I want those wheels (In silver though) but I want them!

Megane 225 F1

Right I'm confused, and to be honest it's your fault for buying 2 trophy's ;)

Did you have Koni adjustables on this (or the other one) at some point?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Did you have Koni adjustables on this (or the other one) at some point?

Nah, thought about it, & arranged a GB for them on cliotrophy, but never bought them ... Might at some point, but happy enough with the current setup for now :)

wheels look mint kind of like compomotive MO. one of my fav rims of all time

Comp MOs are my fav wheel ever as well, hence the purchase of these!! Had black flat face mo's on my black vts, so love the evilness of them.

M135i and the shed

Why thank you, although admit it, you just like my harness fittings dont you :rasp:

A couple of B23A's and i'm anyones. Love the little blighters. There, i've admitted it! :D

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

Yes to all of the above lol.

My bar seems to be one of the ones that was built incorrectly, so the droplinks fit to the inside of the bar, not the outside - like 99% of the other ones out there - hence its kinda 'bodged' on. And yes, i over tightened it, like nigh on every other nut/bolt i touch ...

There is 'finger tight', 'f*cking tight', then 'Dave tight' iirc ;)

But lets be honest, thats the FailSport way.

Handles ok anyhow. As you lot say oop nurth 'be rite' ...

Umm yesh,. Loosen lower damper bolt, adjust 90deg bracket, loosen the tightness on those poor bushes.

But.. if your happy, I'm happy :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Looks bangin' that does Dave :approve: Would love a drive... x

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

OK, so last night i got the Geo done by the experts down at Panel Wise. Thanks to Ollie82. for that BTW :approve: Yes, they are a bodyshop, but when you are the authorised repairer for Lotus, Aston, Ferrari, Lamborghini & Pagani, you probably know how to set up a clio. So if you ever prang your beloved Italian chariot, be sure to give them a call ...

So, effectively, since we fitted the front suspension, the Toe has been out a little, ok, so its been out a lot, brilliant around right hand bends, but not so helpful when the car is trying to turn the M3 into a continuous corner. I've also had to hold the steering wheel at 45 degrees in order to go in a straight line lol. Crabbing FTL :dead:

Effectively, having put it on the rig, the front left toe was at 1.8 (degrees i guess), so the wheels kinda looked like this:

/ l

No wonder it drove funny :eek:

Once that was sorted, we checked the rest of the settings out. Now, when we fitted the Eibach camber bolts, i was under the impression that had a max. camber setting of -1.8 degrees, so we just put them to full negative, as you do.

Now im not sure if the Trophy is setup slightly differently to the normal 1*2, but the front camber was -2.8 degrees lol. As such, i thought id leave it, seems to handle ok. Rear camber (despite no shims) is at -1.8 degrees, again, slightly more than i imagined it would be, but if it aiint broke, dont fix it. So we didnt.

Havent driven it that much since, ie just down the M3 with a few roundabouts thrown in via a quick detour, but opionion is as follows:

Ridiculous levels of grip/turn in, etc.
Rather pointy in terms of direction changes.
The car is more than happy to steer on the throttle as well as the wheel.

Obviously Donington will give a proper feel for the car on the 13th, but bugger me, the car is epic now. Proper twitchy little f**ker though
unsure.gif

Mini Cooper S

How did you get on with the PE2s? Have you got many track days booked for the year?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

How did you get on with the PE2s? Have you got many track days booked for the year?

Collecting them on Saturday, so cheers for that ;)

Only got the one booked so far, but trying to work out what other ones im going to do at the moment, still fancy Spa ... but its a weekday which is a slight issue, ie no holiday left lol.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

I know it's a trek but I've been looking for a good place to set up the trophy for ages, got my rs2's on soon with the 2118s and have my camber bolts still to fit.

What sort of cash did you pay for the allignment mate?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Can't beat getting your wheels aligned, always feels like a new car.
My new stuff goes on next Saturday then it'll be re-aligned couple of days later. I can't wait to feel what the car should feel like.

I'm guessing after 100k miles it's hardly as stiff/straight as it once was so i'm really looking forward to it.

iirc I taught Ollie everything he knows. :eek:

Mini Cooper S

Collecting them on Saturday, so cheers for that ;)

Only got the one booked so far, but trying to work out what other ones im going to do at the moment, still fancy Spa ... but its a weekday which is a slight issue, ie no holiday left lol.

I'm sure you can have a bad indian the night before Spa ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I should add that I simply organised the Geo....I didn't physically do it. Good thing about doing the job I do is I can get someone else to do the dirty work...;)

Luckily the camber was near enough bang on both sides so whoever did it by eye has, well, a good eye.....or just very fluky.
The toe on the other hand.....ive seen straighter shopping trolley wheels.

330i. E30 Touring.

PMSL. FailMS. Judging camber by eye since 1988.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

What sort of cash did you pay for the allignment mate?

Unfortunately they dont do that type of work for the public Chris, its was umm 'a favour for a mate' .... i just thought i'd give a free plug for a good company ;) has made a massive difference to the drive of the car though, night & day in fact!!

I'm sure you can have a bad indian the night before Spa ;)

That is a distinct possibility ;)

Luckily the camber was near enough bang on both sides so whoever did it by eye has, well, a good eye.....or just very fluky.

The toe on the other hand.....ive seen straighter shopping trolley wheels.

PMSL. FailMS. Judging camber by eye since 1988.

Iirc, the camber setup was along these lines:

Mike/James: What sort of camber do you fancy running then Dave, i assume that you have done the necessary research on ClioTrophy.gimp.
Dave: Ummm, yeah, probably ...
Mike/James: Ok, thats a no then, what setting shall we run the bolts at then?
Dave: I dunno, just turn it to max, seemed to work for Nick ...

To quote our Northern chums.

beee rrreeeyyyttteee

;)

340i

beeee reeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyteee PAL!

running on the inside edge of the rim is the only way to roll.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Right, little update as the car is currently poorly, with a weird, rattly/whirring sound coming from the engine. I have no idea what's wrong with it so i'll essentially be dumping it at JMS on Thursday for Tom & James to diagnose/fix/hopefully not kick it too much.

As such, in preparation for this, i thought it would be wise to phone to the dealers that have maintained it previously to find out exactly what has been changed on it over the years. It might provide you with a useful insight into the life of the miley Trophy, & prove that they can take the mileage if looked after properly.

Its also a bit of a laugh seeing soo many services, in not very much time :eek:

9.9.05 - Ordered on for £14,235 inc. 12 months tax, delivery, etc.
15.10.05 - Delivered, RF55 RTU is born with delivery miles :D

6.1.06 - Minor service - 12,460 miles
9.3.06 - Minor service - 24,320 miles
5.5.06 - Major service - 35,686 miles (headlamp replaced, aux belt, etc)
24.7.06 - Minor service - 47,854 miles
26.9.06 - Minor service - 60,094 miles (replaced splitter)
11.12.06 - Major service - 71,846 miles (front brake pads, cambelt, aux belt, etc)
12.4.07 - Minor service - 84,045 miles
5.7.07 - Minor service - 96,350 miles (rear discs/pads)
2.12.07 - Minor service - 108,484 miles (exhaust mounts)
30.6.08 - Minor service - 127,787 miles
7.10.08 - Major service - 137,861 miles (lower susp. arms, front discs/pads, aux belt, etc)
4.2.09 - Minor service - 148,204 miles (rear shocks, rear discs/pads)
10.12.09 - Minor service - 167,331 miles (lambda, front shocks refurbed)

Since then i've done 2 x oil changes, pollen/air/fuel filters and OE spark plugs.

Personally, i love the fact that it had the cambelt done at 12 months old :eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

possible dephaser issue mate?

Not entirely sure tbh, its nowhere near as rattly as Guppy's was, although that one was royally buggered!! Sounded like a bag of marbles being shaken in a box ...

Is due a cambelt/aux belt service anyway really, so will probably get the de-phaser changed as a preventative measure :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Personally, i love the fact that it had the cambelt done at 12 months old :eek:

Im presuming you have evidence to say its had one done since then but elsewhere! Otherwise, tick tick tick tick tick

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Not entirely sure tbh, its nowhere near as rattly as Guppy's was, although that one was royally buggered!! Sounded like a bag of marbles being shaken in a box ...

Is due a cambelt/aux belt service anyway really, so will probably get the de-phaser changed as a preventative measure :)

You may aswell go the whole hog and get the waterpump done aswell mate. I did the full lot on the trophy just for piece of mind. If the dephaser hasnt already been done then its doing well so far.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Im presuming you have evidence to say its had one done since then but elsewhere! Otherwise, tick tick tick tick tick

Umm. Im going on the time basis, rather than mileage .... (crossed fingers)

Hadnt thought about the waterpump, will ask Tom about that as well as coolant, etc.

Owen

ClioSport Admin

My waterpump made a really strange rattly/ whirring noise, most evident on tickover when it was on it's deathbed. Might be worth mentioning to Tom as you say.

340i

I would of said the Alternator when I had a listen to it at Donnington... Didn't Fred say alternator also?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I would of said the Alternator when I had a listen to it at Donnington... Didn't Fred say alternator also?

Yah, when it sounded like it was about to blow up! And smelled of burning :eek:

Will ask Tom about changing to the Cup setup if i need a new alternator i think, aircon doesnt work anyway.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just read through it all & i love everything about the route the trophy has gone. never seen those prorace 3s before wouldnt mind some myself

Glad you like. Its a great car imho :)

Bought something last night that i thought id never do actually, some R888's.

To be perfectly honest, im not sure ill like them, as i still believe that the clio is a little underpowered to need such high levels of grip, but they were a decent price, & tbh, i need to teach a few people that high power does not negate the need for talent ;)

As such, i had to level the playing field ...

Being a Trophy though, with such sticky rubber, i expect 2cv levels of roll, ie:

83200673_cb9be1926b.jpg

Lotus Elise

Trophys are great on 888s. Much better when you stiffen the dampers up at the front and the whiteline at the rear. You'll have fun I promise you.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Finally had a chance to go through this project thread... enjoyed the read, thanks mate. :D It's good to see a Trophy being driven and enjoyed as it should be (although I did a double-take at the mileage!) Good luck with the rattling issue and I hope it's nothing serious or expensive. Other than the fact it could do with a bloody good clean it's not a bad motor this Trophy of yours... LOL! :cool: