ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Six months in

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Well, I'm now six months into my year(ish) time with the 182. It's my first RenaultSport, and was bought as a cheap bit of fun for a year or so as I got monumentally stung buying a Mini Cooper S on finance a few years back (we all make mistakes).

Some of my thoughts after six months of ownership:

Positives:

+ Colour
+ Looks (subjective, I know, but I love 'em)
+ Loads of equipment
+ Big fun when you're in the mood
+ MPG (absolutely refuses to do less than 35mpg regardless of how I drive it)
+ Nothing (touch wood) so far has broken or fallen off.
+ Quick
+ Stripes!

Negatives

- Not particularly refined (ie, loud)
- Engine and gearbox are pretty unremarkable (the engine doesn't make the best noise and the gearbox isn't a patch on the Puma's). The clutch pedal also appears to be set in concrete.
- Build quality not best (I refer here to the quality of the materials, not the build itself - nothing has broken or fallen off). The interior is pretty rubbish and rattles a lot. Still, I knew all of this prior to buying.
- Driving position is weird, and the seats aren't great.

Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives. I still don't plan to keep this for much more than a year though - if anything I think I'm getting too old for small rattly French hatches :lol:

IMAG0247.gif

IMAG0242.gif

IMAG0232.gif

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I've had mine for 7 years. It has got a hold of me and I can't sell for a good while yet. I forget the build quality side of things and just remember that Renault wanted to build a fun car.....I think they succeeded.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Only had mine 18 months but it's already the second longest period I've owned a car for lol. Hopefully it'll become number one!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Just gone over the 3 year mark myself, i will admit i did have a yo-yo time of wanting to sell it then not, now it has just really got under my skin and i love it. :)

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Maybe I just tend to suffer from 'Itchy V5 Syndrome' more than you lot. The longest I've kept a car is two and a half years, and that was my Racing Puma which I really loved.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I can see why you'd prefer a racing puma, much more unique and special.

Had mine over two years now and it has turned in to a keeper, its getting rs2 manifold fitted in a weeks time and slowly over the next year or so will be getting ready for its retirement as daily driver to weekend toy/track ****

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I wish people would stop posting like this! It keeps making me want to go and buy another ffs.

172 + 350z
Had mine for about 5 months and as much as I look at other cars I can't find another which will be as fun or as good on fuel as the clio in the same price bracket, love the revvy engine too.

BG 182
Id disagree with engine, I think its well suited to the car, still drivable at low revs and has the potential to make wonderful noises on song!

Totally agree with gearbox, it lacks the positive click into gear feel of ford boxes and doesn't like being rushed

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Was driving an Army landrover the other day which is older than your mum and has 120k on the dials, and the gearbox was better than in the 1*2s i've driven.

RB182cup&golf gti
Looks nice in the photos. Had mine 8.5 yrs and just booked it in at Birchdown for a service and gonna treat myself to an RS192 cat back :)

Cossie, 182FF, A3
Maybe I just tend to suffer from 'Itchy V5 Syndrome' more than you lot. The longest I've kept a car is two and a half years, and that was my Racing Puma which I really loved.

Racing Puma, a great motor

My brother had one for 5 years and loved it, as did I, a very accomplished car.

172 Cup
I'm probably on my own here, but I don't think the gearbox is that bad, there's definitely worse out there. I drove a peugeot 107 a little while ago, if you think the clio boxes are bad, try one of those...

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
True, it isn't awful (if you've driven a Peugeot 206 and experienced the horrid slack change, you'll know what I'm on about), but for a hot hatch, it really isn't anything special.

TBH, the engine is probably my biggest gripe. It sounds rubbish.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't have a downer on the Clio at all. It just has it's plus and negative points :)

BG 182
Was driving an Army landrover the other day which is older than your mum and has 120k on the dials, and the gearbox was better than in the 1*2s i've driven.

Probably because the cogs are made from good ol' British steel, not cheese

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Not sure it counts as a clio but the van was my first renault and today picked up my Trophy... Absolutely love it so far, I know theres lots of upgrades but I don't see any reason at the minute.. Think its got the yanoo as gears seem fine..

FF Racing Blue 182
i always have my cars around 2.5 years i love the clio but i have really went off the colour of it and that could cut short its time in my hands

*dreams of a titanium 182ff*

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if the clutch is set in concrete and the gear change feels slow/notchy its because the car needs a clutch and box oil change, poor maintenance is all that is.

I've had many clios and many other cars too and the gearbox is one of the best bits, its made of cheese but the thing can keep up with anything I throw at it in terms of speed of change and positive slots into each cog.

as for 182 over other models, its not much different, very capable car and cheap, however its not got quite the same charm as a phase 1 (even though with how I use it its much 'better' than the phase 1, as in daily runner) but for me it will always be the mark 1 rawness that hold my clio love

and as for the engine, I agree, never really got on with the performance or the noise of the F4R, imo its not a great engine, I prefer the older F7 series lumps, but that's just me

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I *might* be putting this up for sale soon.

Dephaser is starting to get a little noisy, but otherwise excellent condition.

£3K too optimistic?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
£3k minimum for a RB 182 IMO.

I would be looking for about £3.2/£3.3k for yours.