ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smokey exhaust beyond 5500revs

Mate who followed me on the way to Hull over the weekend made a concerning comment about the amount of smoke bellowing out my exhaust (182) during high revs. Ive noticed it only in my mirrors when i hit beyond 5500 (aware that it does starts to kick in around 5500).

Car exhaust outlet is otherwise normal under 5000.

I assume all this is normal...??!!??.. :oops:

Thanks

Clio 197

Do you mean proper smoke, or steam..?:confused:

If its steam, then its normal this time of year with cold temp. Fuel consumption increases at 5k revs, so youll get more steam...:D

If its smoke, then Id go to the dealer...:(

Regards,

Oms.

?? if it is smoke...should i see it or smell it when the cars idling and in low revs... or are there any other tell tale signs.

Nothing smokey is coming out in the lower revs though.... just noticeable above 5.5k....am i worrying too much ?

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

you wont clear steam out this is just what happen when its so cols outside, if you breath steam comes out!! same princable!

As stated the higher the revs the more exhaust gas to escape resulting in more condensatin

If it is smoke not steam, what colour is it? If it is black then it isnt a great problem as the engine is working very hard - slight fueling problems maybe?. If it is blue or grey then could be a problem - oil?

Rich

Quote: Originally posted by RichW on 08 February 2005

If it is smoke not steam, what colour is it? If it is black then it isnt a great problem as the engine is working very hard - slight fueling problems maybe?. If it is blue or grey then could be a problem - oil?

Rich
Exactly, how many Sjyline for example and highly tuned cars give a puff of smoke when changing gears at very high revs...if black it is just unburnt fuel.. I have seen a Skyline set up perfectly that after 1/2 on the track had turned that bumper about the exhaust almost black..nothing to worry about.

Rob

182 Spiced

I get the smoke too. Light blue colour - and it doesnt steam the rear window. It only happens from 5000 when im flooring it and it happens all the time now - even after the engines warmed up >20min... It was fine last month in the same temparatures and the oil is fine... anything to worry about ? Could I do damage flooring it? Ive got my 1st service coming up so ill raise it then with the experienced reno technicians (!)... any further ideas would be helpful.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

mine does it too i think it is just water in the back boxes from washing the car etc and at 5k it sucks it up and spits it out (the 172 prob wont do it because the exhaust is under the bumper), the first time this happened i shat myself but does it quite a bit now, all you need to do is go for a good drive get the exhaust hot and thrash the tits off it ;)

fat 182

ive watched my tail pipes cooling on a damp day they seem to atracked a lot of water into them .the steam just seems to be the condensted water coming out at over 5500rpm because the is a higher gas flow at that rpm

the 172s dont seem to do because they have diffrent zorsts on them

i dont get the steam till about 10-20 minutes of driving until i get out of the city in the morning and get a chance to open her up.

ethier that or its a James Bond style smoke screen reno havent told us about !:D