ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some info needed on williams and valvers

172 gone :( 197 now :)
Im selling my 172 and buying a valver or a williams but i dont know much about either could some people fill me in on what to look for, different models and years, common problems etc Also things like fuel consumption, bhp and insurance groups?
Also anyone looking to p/x for a a 04 plate 172, 23k?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I hope you've got deep pockets!!

This comment comes up all the time, and tbh its a bit silly. Of course you are going to get some good ones and bad ones, but there not all bad. Barring the mods and cash I've thrown at mine, I think replacing stuff that has actually broke ive spent a couple hundred quid in 18 months, not bad! Whats more is I can name probably a dozen or so members which have had hassle free motoring also, none more impressive than GazTwo's track car.... I do not know him personally but for a car which spends most of its time at the limiter it sure has cost him a subsistent amount.

If you go out and buy a cheap valver or williams which has no service history or quite blantaly been ragged and poorly maintained then you are asking for trouble.
This does not mean in general that all valvers or Williams are expensive to run.

Btw Dan, have you ever owned a Williams or Valver?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
jamie is totally correct.....

touchwood mine has really been care free...just make sure you get a good one

dan has never owned either jamie as far as i know.....lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry I didn't answer any of your questions......
Start with the easy stuff..... Valver is quoted as I.g 12 and the Williams is I.g 16/17 depending on which insurance company you use and where you look.
The mpg I get out of mine varies from very low 20's to mid 30's, obviously the latter is on the m-way.
There are a million one things to look for as I am sure you will appreciate being a 10+year old car.... but in general i would inspect.... Arches for any signs of rust and rear 1/4 pannel where the bumper hits the arch as this is a VERY common problem.
Sun roofs always leak, ALWAYS.
Steering columns are generally a little lax and again is a common problem so if there is a little play do not worry about it.
As for the engine, its v difficult to say, but upon cold tickover it should be around 4-6 bar (on the dial) and be at a solid 6 while driving for about 5 minutes. Mine used to be at 6 when cold but depending on oil and other factors mine will generally sit around 4ish now.
When cold it is normal for it to be tappety as there old, however any noises should soon disapear when warm, mine do, and if they didnt i would be worried.
The normal operating temp whilst running is about 80dc, mine will go to 90/100 when doing 80/90 on the m-way/booting it (never seen it above 100 apart from once in the summer). Also when booting it at what ever temp the oil pressure is still around a good 4bar. When on cold tick over oil pressure can be anybetween 1 and 0.5.
The water temp usually also sits at the first major line, when inspecting let it run to make sure the fan kicks in.... the fan kicks in at the 2nd major line btw.
The valver has a bhp of 137 and the williams is 150. If i was in your position i would look at williams only as they will probably have been better looked after (being a drivers/ltd run) as well as the fact it will hold its value more.
You will also be able to see that most valver owners replace their 1.8's with a williams/megane 2.0 .... go figure.
For performances check out williams clio or take a look at the 1/4 mile times.

Hope this helps.

Renaultsport Clio 182
I have a upcoming Williams For Sale just getting some pics taken

Low Mileage as well mint condition

PM me for full details

Chris

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
You also want to check the sil's as rust can from around those areas,
check the coolant same as any other car if its brown then its probably not been serviced for some time.

Bends in the roof, if a williams / valver has been ragged lots you can see bends in the roof (above the B pillar) you see this more so on a williams 3 and valver due to the sunroof making this a weeker point in the car.

an oil temps on a valver are a lot warmer then williams once you have been going a while.

oil will be about 100 on a valver just cruising about and if you take it above 90 for any length of time expect to see it rise to 110+ ,the later valvers dont have oil coolers like the early valvers / williams do

And having owned both Valvers and a Williams i can deffo say that the 2L engine is a totaly different experiance to the valver ( test drive some you will see)

My own williams ownership has been pretty easy going, purchased in 2003 on 18.5k she was in near showroom condition, the fact it had spent most its life parked up has its own problems but a new set of rubber, and a wheel bearing and quick service soon got it right up to scratch! In total ive had no major problems and i find ownership cheap as chips compared to when i had a 172; Ive now covered almost 30k of williams ownership and apart from her age which sadly is something you cant avoid with a bit off looking after and a good valet it still looks as good as new!! :)

She's almost twelve years old now and total reciepts add up to just under £3800 on parts/service's, Think the only common wear/tear parts are wheel bearings, ball joints, disks/pads and steering column seems quite popular.

Beware rust although i would be very supprised to find one thats free from it thats actually driven on a daily basis, otherwise she should pull like a tractor and bounce off the limiter in 5th, handle like a dream and look generally slutish! He He.

I think i would only ever consider selling it for a immaculate ITR, S2000, EVO VII or (If i was to be all grown up) a VW TDI 150.

P.S my sunroof has never leaked ;)

clio 172 sport
make sure the scuttle panel is fitted correctly at the bottom of the windscreen as they tend to rot behind over time if not replaced correctly if it has had a new windscreen.
check the back arches for rot and check the carpet inside make sure no water is gettin in.
check the all electrics work including sunroof.
sunroofs also leak on most valvers.
my advice keep the 172 ive had a valver and now hav a 172 and i wouldnt go back.

GT, Valver, BMW
i'd do what benm172 says keep the 172,i'm running both at the mo and i spend alot of time in the valver because i use it for work,don't get me wrong i love the valver sometimes more than the cup but i think it just boills down to that the cup is a newer car,more power(without spending money to make the valver faster).

there are pros and cons for both,but i think the pros way up more for the cup 172.

i know its not what you was asking but from a chap who has got both i thought you might want to know my views.

jay