ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

RS Clio 172 Cup
Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

Just read this thread from start to finish and really enjoyed. The finished car looks amazing and im assuming will go equally as impressive with all the work thats gone into it.

I wish I was as handy with the spanners.

Renault Clio 172

enjoyed reading through this so much! very helpful how much detail you have gone to and the car looks great! something i am looking to do with mine! i will also be using alot of the companies and parts you have used really happy with what you have gone over! thanks! and car looks great!

Managed to fit the Wilwood 4 pot callipers today, I also fitted some genuine Clio cup racer brake ducts, being second hand they was a little battered but still do the job.

These 4 pots are so light, they each weigh 2.2kg the standard callipers are 5.8kg each, so a total saving of 7.2kg (unsprung weight).

The DS2500 pads I ordered need slight modification (prob for a different model of Wilwood), 2 grooves needed to be cut out for the retaining pin, a 2 min job with the grinder.

Pad having grooves cut

txz3.jpg

In situ

erm.JPG

Wilwood 4 pots

7g78.jpg

Cup racer brake deflectors

8e4i.jpg

Ducting, from Cup racer air duct

ibbc.jpg

Next job will be bleeding the brakes...as soon as I find a 1/4 spanner :/

7rog.jpg

Regarding the weight of the car, with the removal of the head lamps (2.5kg ) and the callipers (7.2kg) this makes the Clio weight 881kg

182cup & 172 racecar

Have you still got the rubber seal on the scuttle panel, because when this is removed, it leaves a nice big gap to let the hot air escape.

So today I spent the morning finishing off jobs on the Clio, the depasher solenoid seal arrived at the 11th hour so fitted that. Then I decided to bleed my brakes.....then hit a big problem, I snapped the rear bleed nipple and it was slowly weeping. Matt from Codered took one off his Clios and drove it up to me, got to mine around 830pm, and set to work swapping the rear calliper over. We bled the brakes system and job was done.

Pheeeeew thanks Matt your a legend.

I continued to back and ratchet the car down, by the time i was done it was gone 2230...wow what a long ass day!

Up early doors tomorrow for Spa, lets hope it was all worth it lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Looks almost like RB with the wrap.

7rog.jpg

Had missed last couple of pages of your thread so had to scroll back to see if you had bought an RB shell, then read about the wrap, lol.

Have fun at spa!

Clio.

Lovely car in the flesh, and comfy too!
Mate, no worries about the caliper etc, it's all in a days fun at 'code red towers':eek:

Thanks guys and thanks again Matt.

Quick update of day 1 at Spa, the car ran faultlessly, it felt so great to drive it again in track, made all the hard work over the past year pay off.

I had to re-learn the car, it drives totally different with the new set up.

The rains hit Spa pretty bad, and the car became very hard to handle so adjusted the car for a wet set up, I disconnected the rear ARB, adjusted coilover around 4-6 clicks from soft and put my road tyres on, car felt so much more controllable (and fun).

Todays weather forecast for day 2 is also mixed, we are expecting rain... But i am enjoying this wet weather driving.

One thing i will add, cars with the proper rain lights are a life saver, they really do penetrate the spray well.

I also need to adapt my braking with Wilwoods and DS2500 pads, as i locked up a few times :/

Well thats a quick up date, more updates to follow :)

Range Rover Sport

Do the brake ducts at the front make a noticeable difference in keeping the brakes cooler?

Cup In bits

Looks good Sonny, you need some bits done in contrasting colours for me.

Looks good Sonny, you need some bits done in contrasting colours for me.

Thanks buddy, the colour does seem intense in the pic, Im hoping with racing numbers on the side and a few other decals it will balance out...I did think about having another colour mixed in, maybe white....

Cup In bits

Black headlights, brake ducts and your decals will look good.... that would be my choices but its your car lol.

Did it go okay at Spa?

I wanted to get away from the black ducts and headlights as thats what was on the car before...its still in the "tweaking" stage...most important thing was getting it track worthy.

Yes Spa was good, had 2 wet days, I disconnected the RARB, soften rear coilovers and put my Toyos on as there was a lot of standing water, this did the trick. The Wilwoods caused some locking up, prob down to driving style, so had to adjust to that..in fact I had to adjust to everything as it felt like a totally different car.

On the second day a dry line formed and the car came into its own, totally rapid.

The roof vent leaked like hell even with a drain tube it....the air flow was forcing it up and out the vent holes..so something to think about if you have one fitted.

Also need to sort out the bonnet lifting at the front as you can see in the pics.

Managed to fit the Wilwood 4 pot callipers today, I also fitted some genuine Clio cup racer brake ducts, being second hand they was a little battered but still do the job.

These 4 pots are so light, they each weigh 2.2kg the standard callipers are 5.8kg each, so a total saving of 7.2kg (unsprung weight).

Sooo glad someone else has said that - every time there's an argument on here about whether 4 pots are worth it I cry a bit.
Mine use alloy bells and rotors so weigh even less and have 295mm discs. I think I saved over 8kg by swapping the brakes over - yet some people say they aren't worth doing. 8kg of unsprung mass is a LOT and it made a noticeable difference to turn in!

The roof vent leaked like hell even with a drain tube it....the air flow was forcing it up and out the vent holes..so something to think about if you have one fitted.

I was concerned about that. I'm thinking of instead of cutting one big hole out my roof doing like 5 smaller holes - then fitting a piece of plastic with the same 5 holes in and a little handle so you can turn it to block the holes off. That way I could shut the vent off completely in the wet I think.

Sooo glad someone else has said that - every time there's an argument on here about whether 4 pots are worth it I cry a bit.
Mine use alloy bells and rotors so weigh even less and have 295mm discs. I think I saved over 8kg by swapping the brakes over - yet some people say they aren't worth doing. 8kg of unsprung mass is a LOT and it made a noticeable difference to turn in!

I was concerned about that. I'm thinking of instead of cutting one big hole out my roof doing like 5 smaller holes - then fitting a piece of plastic with the same 5 holes in and a little handle so you can turn it to block the holes off. That way I could shut the vent off completely in the wet I think.

The brakes are great, to be honest the oem ones I had before was great with the set up I was running, but we have to experiential with these things, I am keen to try 1144s, the DS2500 could be my wet pad and something harder for dry (for example). The weight saving is phenomenal for just callipers.

I too cut 5 holes into the roof, was expecting the drain tube to be effective...need to go back to the drawing board on that one :/

182cup & 172 racecar

Thats what I was going to do, you can actually buy the rain blank from some Italian company (forgot name now). Think I will make something up that will clip on.

Maybe a large shower cap might do, I'll have a look for one lol.

Cup In bits

Good news that it went well after all your hastle over the last year. I'm just going to get one of those caps for my scoop as that drainage would do my head in, Pit lane Motorsport is the company iirc.

PS are you crazy sliding your car about on a track day ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

When I fitted my cup racer roof vent I just drilled out as many 25mm id holes that would fit within the diameter of the roof vent. That way you can just use 25mm grommets to fill the holes when the weather is s**t/cold and hey presto. No leaks, no fuss, just a simple solution that works.
You can even fit and remove the grommets from inside the car.

I have decided to enter into my first race at Donington this Sunday with the TARC. Been a bit of an ordeal trying to get cover at work, trailer hire, race suit, but I need to know where I am with the car and myself and cant wait any longer. I am put on the reserve list for the race, will do practice, been advised that its very likely that cars will drop out.

So for those that are going on Sunday, see you there :)

I have decided to enter into my first race at Donington this Sunday with the TARC. Been a bit of an ordeal trying to get cover at work, trailer hire, race suit, but I need to know where I am with the car and myself and cant wait any longer. I am put on the reserve list for the race, will do practice, been advised that its very likely that cars will drop out.

So for those that are going on Sunday, see you there :)

Good work mate, would have loved to of joined you on the grid. May well see you up there also so will say hi.

182cup & 172 racecar

Knew you would sense Sonny, as I said to you before, you need to see where you are.

When myself and Jay started, we didn't have a clue what would happen at Brands in our 1st race, just finishing was a bonus.

The rest is history ( you know what I mean ). And at least you have a winter to work on stuff if you need to.

See you there, you can't miss me.

Did you get a race suit?

Ordered race suit yesterday, and finished off the FIA cut off switch today. So far so good.

Im going to get to Donny Sat evening as I finish night shift at 7am. What time everyone else getting there for?