ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Just had a look on the website for Oulton park it says £14 entry is that right? They have the time table up there too
Yes, in the Tricolore Trophy you don't get a official practice session as such, just 15min quali/practice window. Makes it interesting when you have never been to a circuit before and have to put in a quick lap time.

November 2015 Update:

Having not touched the car since Castle Combe due to other commitments, I spent this week getting a few of the odd jobs done on the car before this weekends final race at Snetterton.

I ordered a pair of new rear springs, coming down by 20nm per spring, while the ASTs struts were off I gave them a quick clean and inspection, all seems good apart from a crack plastic spring platform, not sure how this happened. While the rear was up in the air I also cleaned and inspected the rear discs, stub axles, pads and callipers, also adding some toe shims to bring the rear axle in closer to 0 (zero) toe.

Next job was to replace the T7 hlightweight heater matrix that split at Combe, T7 kindly sent me out a free replacement next day delivery so was more than chuffed with that. This was a quick strip down of the module and replacing the matrix element.

Other jobs, drained the fuel tank and replaced with fresh fuel, the Range got the left overs to guzzle, a quick spanner check and hoover out, still had bit of grinder discs floating about in side.

Apart from that all is good.

Will be setting off Sat morning to pop into Mark Fish to get the front Geo done, as from the last reading the wheels was pointing in different directions and if time also to see where the corner weight is at as I suspect that's all over the shop too.

Sonny

Snetterton 300 race weekend

This weekend sees us racing at Snetterton 300, which is the last on the calender. This is a combined TARC race series, so will be interesting.

Timings

Quali: 0900
Race one: 1115
Race Two: 1340
Race Three: 1510

43 Starters will see a busy grid esp during quali...cant wait :)

CLASS A 3001 UPWARDS Saloons/Coupes/Sports
JAMES JANICKI NISSAN SKYLINE
RJN PLAYSTATION 370Z Driver tbc
RJN PLAYSTATION 370Z Driver tbc

CLASS B 2501-3000cc Saloons/Coupes/Sports
JAMES MUMBRAY BMW 330

CLASS C 2001-2500 cc Saloon/Coupe's/Sports
NERIJUS ZABOTKA SUBARU IMPREZA
JASON JESSE TOYOTA CELICA GT4
LEE GILLARD SUBARU IMPREZA

CLASS D 1601-2000 Saloons/Coupe's
JEREMY CHILTON ALFA ROMEO 156
ANDREW GLOVER RENAULT CLIO
ANDY IBBERSON RENAULT CLIO
TONY HUNTER RENAULT CLIO
ANDY WILKINS RENAULT CLIO
GARETH NUTLEY PEUGEOT 206GTI
NICK GWINNETT RENAULT CLIO
SONNY HARDY RENAULT CLIO
DON HUGHES PEUGEOT 306
SARAH FRANKLIN RENAULT CLIO
JOHN LORD TOYOTA CELICA
ASHLEY BRUNEAU RENAULT CLIO
LUKE STEGGLES RENAULT CLIO
DAVID CLARK RENAULT 5 TURBO

CLASS E Up to 1600 Salons/Coupes
ANDY MC LENNAN SUZUKI SWIFT 1300

CLASS F 1601 to 2000cc Sports cars
PAUL LAWRIE TOYOTA MR2 MK3 ROADSTER

CLASS G Up to 1600cc Sports Cars
PAUL CALLOWAY TOYOTA MR2 MK1
EDDIE OKANE TOYOTA MR2
DANIAL FARMER TOYOTA MR2 MK1
BEN ROBERTS MAZDA MX5
ALAN EVANS TOYOTA MR2 MK1
DAVID MUSTARDE TOYOTA MR2 MK1
GARETH BAXTER TOYOTA MR2 MK1
PHILIP O'HALLORAN TOYOTA MR2 MK1
DAVID JOHNSON TOYOTA MR2 MK1
PATRICK STONER TOYOTA MR2 MK1
JAMES BAKER TOYOTA MR2 MK1
ADAM LOCKWOOD TOYOTA MR2 MK1
MERILL READETT TOYOTA MR2 MK1
NEALE HURREN TOYOTA MR2 MK1
MARK WORSLEY TOYOTA MR2 MK1
DANIAL STEWART MAZDA MX5
NATHAN HARRISON TOYOTA MR2 MK1
TOM PUGH MAZDA MX5
GEOFF GOURIET MAZDA MX5
ARRON PULLAN TOYOTA MR2 MK1
steve v
moderator.gif

Full name: steve vince
Involvement: Admin

2016 UPDATE

Not had much time this year to do much work on the car but managed to get some spanner time in this week, so not a great update but managed to do the following.

Fluid change (engine and box)
Brake pad check/deglaze
All spherical bearings checked/cleaned
brake callipers pistons cleaned greased
general spanner check

Also, front bumper repair and head blank repair (damaged caused at Snett due to contact).

I was hoping to purchase and fit a PMS Exhaust manifold and to have a remap tweek but having spent that budget on getting the Range Rover (tow car) through its MOT iv had to put that on the back burner until mid season if I want to go racing.

I have just noticed that most of my early build pics have vanished that I originally hosted with Imageshack.us, which seem to have stopped showing up for some reason!

2016 Racing season.

I will be competing in my 3rd season in the Tricolore Trophy

Here is the calender as it stands so far.

27/03/16 Snetterton 300 Circuit 23/04/16 Silverstone International Circuit
14/05/16 Pembrey Series
11/06/16 Rockingham International Long Circuit
02/07/16 Thruxton
30/07/16 Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
25/09/16 Mallory Park Full Circuit

Sonny

Renault Clio 172
How many races you getting in this year? I'm missing Silverstone and Rockingham. I'm not sure about Thruxton either, as it's so far away!

Why are you thinking of dropping to production plus?
Think I may join toward end of this year I need... Full cage, approved seat + harness, cut off switch etc etc then all race gear and hand device!

Makes absolutely no difference at all mate as the car is already built, in fact it would cost me a lot more to make the car race ready for Production Plus, example, I would need a new electric accelerator pedal with associated wiring, inlet manifold complete, throttle body and all associated sensors etc, and also a new remap not to mention overhauling the standard spare engine I have. However If my current race engine lets go I may have to drop down to PP.....

How many races you getting in this year? I'm missing Silverstone and Rockingham. I'm not sure about Thruxton either, as it's so far away!

Hopefully all expect Mallroy and Pembury mainly due to work and distance. Im actually working on the Truxton event but had so much fun last time Im ready for seconds. Also my rev limiter was only working correctly on 2 events last season, so be good to be trouble free this season (touch wood).

So today I set about making a screen for the internal heater matrix as I got pulled up for not having one at the last scrutineering check. Made it up out of some ali sheet, pretty basic but job, but thats done now and another job ticked off the list.

photo%201.jpg

Latest update,

week of dramas....Rolled the car out the garage last week to give her a spanner check ahead of the Rockingham meeting, to find that the alternator had finally given up. Purchased a brand new alternator from Renault (£140 PX) so fitted that and did a check, all seemed to be going well until one of the battery tester clamps slipped of the battery and touched the battery case (metal type that bolts through body) and earthed out creating a bit of a spark. Since then the car struggled starting up.

Finally managed to start her up, but then progressively came harder to start to the point where it would start at all (over course of 2 days) I had to pull out of the Rockingham race.

Ran a number of checks, was helped out by many members of the clio community, Nick gwinnet, james breeze, dinger, bob, and big ash.

Whole of the ignition system was checked, timing, compression, sensors and still no joy, symptoms was like it was firing on 3 cylinders and even 2 at some point. So finger now points to a ECU fault (fried resistors/motherboard) or spiked map. So the ECU was send of to KTEC who will run a check and then determine weather it needs to be sent to GEMS to be tested/repaired. Im still waiting to here from KTEC.

So thats that......just over 2 weeks to go before Thruxton....fingers crossed.

Received a message today from Sean from Ktec that they have tested and confirmed that the ECU was at fault, it was actually a fault with the firmware caused by the short circuit.

Sean re-uploaded the software and tried it on a base map with a test car and worked fine and then reloaded my original map with gen90 firmware... And all worked fine (firmwares/softwares etc etc bit over my head but you get the idea).

And best of all, they didn't charge any diagnostic fee, so cant complain at that, hats of to Ktec.

So looks like I will be going racing next weekend :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Received a message today from Sean from Ktec that they have tested and confirmed that the ECU was at fault, it was actually a fault with the firmware caused by the short circuit.

Sean re-uploaded the software and tried it on a base map with a test car and worked fine and then reloaded my original map with gen90 firmware... And all worked fine (firmwares/softwares etc etc bit over my head but you get the idea).

And best of all, they didn't charge any diagnostic fee, so cant complain at that, hats of to Ktec.

So looks like I will be going racing next weekend :smile:
Excellent news sonny!!! This just goes to show that ktec no longer deserve the shite that's been thrown at them.

Sean is a legend as well tbf. He's on with a little project for me with a gen90 currently too. :cool:

UPDATE: Thruxton, Tricolore Trophy

After receiving the ECU, a few days had past before I actually fitted it due to work commitments, plugged in the ECU and whaaam.....nothing, it still cranked over but didn't fire up....so I put out a SOS call and Mike Woodford helped me out setting the TPS settings on the gen90 software, by this time the spark plugs were drenched in fuel so I swapped those out and at 9pm she fired into life and purred away nicely, so the 11th hour before leaving to race the car came back to life after laying dormant for 3 weeks.

The morning before leaving, Sean from Ktec rang and remote accessed my laptop (with Teamviewer) and went over the map for a once over as a matter of course, and to also adjust the fan settings as the fan would not switch off. So with that I was good to go....couldn't be more happier.

With these delay's everything became a rush to pick the trailer up and head to Thruxton to beat the M25 Friday rush hour.....that I did not miss and was stuck for a good few hours doh...

Got to Thruxton and set up for the night, managed to test drive the car around the site and she felt fine, couldn't be more happier!

13528831_10154854039350931_2836361847462787269_n_zpsqqfy9mql.jpg

Today's race meeting was a combined grid consisting of the Nippon challenge, Deutsch cup and Tricolour Trophy, so was a full grid of 41 cars

QUALI

Main thing for me was to see how the engine felt under load and at maximum RPM, after a few laps I was feeling happy as a pig in s**t that she was feeling on point. So I set off to put in a quick lap in time. I managed a poor 1.36 (4s off last years race time) this put me 16th out of 41 so was pretty happy, mainly as it meant I was ahead of the MR2's.

RACE 1

Got off to a good start, took me a few laps to get a feel for it and to build up confidence, not having been in the car since March, I was still braking in certain none braking zone lol (need to grow some more b****cks) Managed to claw my way up the pack and finished 9th and 3 in class with a time of 1.31, so beating my personal best.

RACE 2

NOT such a good start, managed to spin the wheel up in 1st and 2nd and selected 3rd too early which bogged the car down, this fudge up saw me lose 12 places before the first complex (wally). Again, took me a lap to claw my way through the traffic, at this point the Team Mumbrey BMW M3 that started at the back of the grid due to a previous DNF overtook me, I managed to stay on his tail and had a good little tussle. This saw me beat my previous best with a new time of 1.30, this was the fastest time in the Tric Trophy by 1s so I was very happy with that.

I finished 13th (iirc) and 3rd in class.

Overall what a brilliant day, good clean racing and a car that felt and handled great.

Few pics from the day

2016%20Thruxton%20Nippon%20Race%202%2077_zpsdgv5upgw.jpg

2016%20Thruxton%20Nippon%20Race%201%20166_zps4odln2m3.jpg

2016%20Thruxton%20Nippon%20Race%201%207_zpswadklaso.jpg

2016%20Thruxton%20Nippon%20Practice%20109_zps3f1etdjh.jpg

13516334_10154856370710931_8121028480133904260_n_zps8ovytapg.jpg

2016%20Thruxton%20Nippon%20Race%201%20166_zps4odln2m3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Did a shake down at Brands last week which lasted all of an hour due to triggering one of the noise sensors.... Oh well fun while it lasted, however I managed to do what I intended so wasn't a wasted trip.

3b406a6966254d349327b855d419c8eb.jpg

Went out with mate in his Skyline powered e30....pretty quick and great build

3a71be170379ae585cdb6628dd4eb2a0.jpg

Back to the Clio, 75deg thermostat added

0b0ee57c57724786edcb19eb64e44dac.jpg

And shimmed out rear left to bring the toe back back in line after a little knock at Snett this season by a fellow racer.

And finally a Pre Brands geo check up ahead of this weekends race.

0e0ef708afe242691a90a032888306ee.jpg

Cars good to go.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Thats the invitation race isnt it? Im
Not sure yet, I wasn't going to but will check the cash flow nearer the time.

Bet your well looking forward to it, Cadwell is pretty immense racing.
Not sure about the 'invitation' part but after speaking to @Tony Hunter he said it okay for entering so I have just signed up with Steven Vince got my number and everything sorted. Just need to get the car up to standard!

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Nice one.. Yea make sure the car is spot on last thing you want is to be running around before a race coz the scrutes pulled you on something.
Is there anything to watch out for that they are picky on? Car is being amended as we speak as it was a track day car.