ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony Vaio SZ2 Series

Has anyone got any ownership experience of this Vaio range?

I currently own two PCs. The first is a games PC known only as TheBeast. It kind of needs upgrading. The second is a 17" laptop which I use for all my other computing needs. I did use a 3rd, which was a 14" company machine.

However, I've just gone self employed so I'm now down to two. I need a laptop for my job, but my 17" machine is far too big, far too heavy, and far too hungry for power.

I need a small light notebook with extreme battery life and extreme portablity. It has to be dripping in quality, be very light and drurable, and have a battery life that means I dont have to carry the PSU around all day.

The 11.1" Sony is TOO small but this 13.3" machine seems to be ideal. Any thoughts from anyone who seen/owned/used this range?

They are nice.. but they don't look anything special IMO. They are very light, tho.

I was looking at them.. when I was looking at buying a new laptop. I ended up with an MBP, in side by side, the MBP wins in every single aspect.. so I think I made the right choice.

Now, if I was buying a laptop primarily for Windows usage, I'd buy an SZ, because it is right up there in terms of style/spec for a Windows-based PC.

dave182 said:
its an amazing machine, for the spec and design/quality it can't be beaten

Yes it can.. Macbook Pro.. :p
Altho, the MBP is slightly more expensive.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
i had one, was great, but one day wouldnt switch on....read on the net it was common on that particular model so had to flog it on ebay as broke!

Revels Mum & Sister
Roy Munson said:
Has anyone got any ownership experience of this Vaio range?

I currently own two PCs. The first is a games PC known only as TheBeast. It kind of needs upgrading. The second is a 17" laptop which I use for all my other computing needs. I did use a 3rd, which was a 14" company machine.

However, I've just gone self employed so I'm now down to two. I need a laptop for my job, but my 17" machine is far too big, far too heavy, and far too hungry for power.

I need a small light notebook with extreme battery life and extreme portablity. It has to be dripping in quality, be very light and drurable, and have a battery life that means I dont have to carry the PSU around all day.

The 11.1" Sony is TOO small but this 13.3" machine seems to be ideal. Any thoughts from anyone who seen/owned/used this range?

*COUGH* Macbook *COUGH*

Rasclart said:
*COUGH* Macbook *COUGH*

I need to use Windows, and I dont really fancy dual booting, since I will always need windows. I dont see the point in getting a Mac when I would alyways need to boot to Windows in order to run the software I need. Macs are great if you're a graphic designer or a casual surfer. If you need to run PC apps for comms or coding like I do, then a Mac is about as usefull as a chocolate ashtray. Sorry but that's how it is.

Vaio is the Mac of the PC world in terms of build quality and it runs windows without dual booting. If I'd wanted a Mac I would have said as such.

I'm not a graphic designer (Mac's aren't just used for graphics stuff now yaknow!) or a casual surfer, but I use a MBP.

Anyway, I looked at MBP/SZ before buying. My decision was Windows -Vs- OSX tho..
At the end of the day, I'm a great believer in "Buying what does the job best for you".

If I was going to use Windows all the time, I'd definetly buy a Vaio SZ.. as it is the best "Windows" laptop. As it was, I wanted to use OSX, so had to buy a Macbook.

The SZ doesn't look half as "sexy" as an MBP IMO, but.. it's MUCH lighter. Like, 1KG lighter which is pretty cool..
It's quite thick tho, as the battery is big..

You can get them for about £1200-£1400, so it's a pretty good buy.. and the spec is similar to an MBP.. altho, I think the Mac's are more configurable. (Like, I have a 7200RPM drive in this.. I'm not sure you can do a factory option like this on a Vaio).
Oh, and SZs have "Vista Capable" stickers.. which is quite important. Altho, Vista ran mint on my desktop machine.. so an SZ should have no trouble (MBP runs it pretty mint, too ;))

CTR EK9 turbo
For ultimate portability and light-weightness get yourself a Sony Vaio X505VP. Mine weighs 800 grammes and it's very durable as it's made of some special carbon or something. Has no fan so it's really quiet. Only a 20 gig hd, but you won't find a smaller laptop (i think!). You can use it on the toilet too :) I need it for work, as i can write my reports on it, use the internet, post on cliosport and it's the size of a magazine when folded up. :)

Oh, and it makes any other laptop in the vicinity look like a brick. Quite amusing at the airport when everyone's juggling with their beasts on their knee's....