ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soo Many Bad Ones

Clio 2.0 172
Bit of a rant. Why is there soo many written off clio 172's and 182's. HPI'd 3 now I was seriously considering traveling to buy and wanted to get them checked out before traveling and potentially buying one of them and what a shock,all cat D write offs,one of which had been written off twice!

Last edited:
  Clio 2.0 172
Lol nope,one was a 172 and there was a 182. I'm finding it a great difficulty finding a decent 172 or 182 without it having high mileage,no service history or written off or something!

Clio 2.0 172
Yeh,there isnt all that many on here in my budget. Maybe I just don't have a big enough wallet. Was looking at a 172 mainly because I thought they would suit the money better,just proving a bit of a nightmare soo far lol

Clio 2.0 172
Well as said I'm only really after a ph2 17s and I'm willing to spend up to £4000. Just not impressed with what I've seen

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Goes to show a lot of these fantastic deals on 1*2's that I keep hearing about ain't all they're cracked up to be. Going by what I hear my car is only worth about 1k these days lol.

Clio 2.0 172
My number 1 tip for anyone buying one would be HPI every one you might be serious about buying,you may be surprised!

Monaco RS Clio 172
Well as said I'm only really after a ph2 17s and I'm willing to spend up to £4000. Just not impressed with what I've seen

4k is well enough to buy a decent example with low miles and etc

keep your eyes peeled on here as they are usually looked after / have a searchable history even sometimes. other than that, piston heads.

I've never bought a car from auto trader only enquired but I assume that is as good as piston heads too just that piston heads seems to have advertised cars that enthusiasts own more than just ordinary people who abuse their cars and think nothing of it.

Clio 2.0 172
Cheers mate,you're right. Although all the low mileage examples I'm finding are on autotrader funnily enough.

There seems to be alot of low mileage 172 cups for sale for under 4k just now but they don't interest me one bit despite people saying theyre the best model you can buy

320d
Those HPI checks are expensive too. Maybe you should look for one from an indipendant guarage so they'll HPI it for you and you have peace of mind.

4k will get you a mint (and I mean mint) phase 2 172, it won't get a 182 though, unless it's been to the moon & back.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
4k will get you a mint (and I mean mint) phase 2 172, it won't get a 182 though, unless it's been to the moon & back.
I was just thinking that after seeing his budget!
If you can't find a mint one for 4k you might be blind!

Audi TT
Funny how just over six months ago £4k was a total bargain for a mint FSH 172 yet now people think they're 10 a penny.

I think people get distorted ideas once a few start going for peanuts. Nobody was buying anything towards end of last year so people had to drop prices. Nobody is buying new cars any more so the used car market is seeing prices going up if anything not down.

Clio 2.0 172
Points taken on board and I agree,I've seen myself the mint examples on autotrader from dealers,most of which are well over 400 miles from me and I don't mind travelling for the right car but if I could find one closer then I'd like to.

A point me and a mate touched upon was to do with write-offs and why WE should have to pay to avoid all the 'lemons' out there. Why not make it law that when the v5 has to be sent away it is printed on the v5 that that vehicle has been a write-off on whatever date? Makes sense

172 Cup
A point me and a mate touched upon was to do with write-offs and why WE should have to pay to avoid all the 'lemons' out there. Why not make it law that when the v5 has to be sent away it is printed on the v5 that that vehicle has been a write-off on whatever date? Makes sense

Have to agree with that one!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Some people out there can't actually drive to a decent standard...

Sitting and a set of traffic lights and someone rear ends you because there drunk/old/female or all 3.

Hardly driver error is it?

Driver ability cant be blamed on all instances of driving error/write off

White R26/Stripped Valver
Sitting and a set of traffic lights and someone rear ends you because there drunk/old/female or all 3.

Hardly driver error is it?

Driver ability cant be blamed on all instances of driving error/write off

If you look closely I said 'Some people'.

Not everyone.

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Yea mate know what you mean. Just dropped past a 182 at a garage near by today and it was up for top dollar (6,990) so i was expecting a minter. And tbh bodywork and interior were good, but skuffed alloys, one of the tyres had no tread left and the service history was pretty thin....
So annoying was nice car but when you get a bad vibe its just like naa....
Ahh well i'll just keep looking!

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There are thousands out there that have been cherished.

6k will secure you a mint low mileage example. Getting what you pay for very much applies here

Black Gold with cup packs
Cheers mate,you're right. Although all the low mileage examples I'm finding are on autotrader funnily enough.

There seems to be alot of low mileage 172 cups for sale for under 4k just now but they don't interest me one bit despite people saying theyre the best model you can buy

The cup is the absolute dogs b****cks fella, I owned my last one for 18months sold it :( but am now in the market for another cup, fail that a trophy. Test drive a standard 172 then a cup, you will know what I mean :)

Clio 2.0 172
It may be a much better driver-orientated car but it doesn't interest me at all except the spoiler and splitter. I don't need a car with suspension thats harder and more uprated than a standard 172 and I would rather have half leather/half suede seats and xenon lights