ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be turboed

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Hey,

I'm Jack from MWMSport. This is my Ph1 172 that I bought shortly after Mike bought his.

I brought it for £600 off eBay with a snapped cambelt.

We started to rebuild the old engine but the cambelt snap had caused more damaged than we first thought.

We travelled from Staines too Carlisle on Christmas eve to collect the new engine and a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's

photo.jpg

I fitted an exhaust, de-cat, Ktec engine mounts and some apex lowering springs just to get the ball rolling. I'm really impressed with the car and started using it for trackdays.

182934_189987144367617_160618670637798_532602_5590628_n.jpg

182490_189987124367619_160618670637798_532600_4872861_n.jpg

After sitting down the pub one night, having a bit of technical banter, we decided, pretty much just for the crack of it, to see what the engine would run like with a 197 inlet fitted as some people had said it wouldn't fit.

The results are, It does fit, it does improve power, but is probably not worth fitting as a sole modification.

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

Now I have decided to see just how far you can push a standard engine with a turbo conversion. We believe we have found a way to safely and reliably lower the C/R of a standard engine to allow running bigger boost with a turbo.

We have 99% of the parts and are going to be starting the turbo build later on this week.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
These things need to be done at least once :) Any details on what it made? I know there are at least another 4 or 5 differences (internally alone) also between the original engine and the 197

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Nice work with the inlet manifold ! How far you taking it power wise ? Losing the aircon etc ?

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
What improvements did the 197 inlet make and also what was needed to make it fit?

It has improved the top end power but hasn't lost any mid range. It doesn't bolt straight on, the head needs a couple of holes drilled and tapped as the pattern is different to standard inlet.

These things need to be done at least once :) Any details on what it made? I know there are at least another 4 or 5 differences (internally alone) also between the original engine and the 197

It made 182.3 bhp.

Nice work with the inlet manifold ! How far you taking it power wise ? Losing the aircon etc ?

Thanks. Going to go for a reliable 240 + bhp. Yes, aircon is going.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lower the cr by machining the pistons?
I don't think the engine will be the problem. However the tranny will!

Ph1 172
Update

Well, Tuesday was the day the car came off the road for the turbo conversion. I didn't have to take the engine out to do this but i wanted to do the clutch, Paint the block and clean the engine bay so it just made life so much easier.

We pulled it in the workshop and took the engine out and the work begun.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

Next I put the engine on the engine stand, stripped it down and gave it a paint.

DSC00779.jpg

Then we steam cleaned out the engine bay

DSC00780.jpg

This is where the clever bit comes in!

We needed to find a way to cheaply lower the compression ratio that wouldn't compromise the reliability or strength of the engine.

After doing some work on a Clio 197 we noticed they use domed pistons but ran a similar compression ratio to the 182. After CCing the head the 197 head has a much bigger combustion chamber. Therefore bolting a 197 head on a 1*2 lowers the compression ratio!

In this picture you can see the difference in the 2 heads and where Renault Sport have removed the metal.

DSC00790.jpg

1*2
DSC00791.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

We have taken a scrap 1*2 head to the machine shop recently and it is possible to machine the combustion chamber to the same as a 197, so you do not have the cost of a 197 head and inlet manifold. That's just what we are using here as we were not sure the machining was possible at the time.

To run the 197 head we had to drill out and tap a bolt hole for the cambelt idler. this requires some proper measuring as it must be in the correct place.

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

The next thing to do was to find and fit a supply pipe for the oil to the turbo. We have tee'd into the oil pressure swtich and got some custom line and fixings from think automotive.

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

By the end of today we hope to have the head on and torque'd up, the turbo on the exhaust manifold and the oil return sorted.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Good effort lads, any idea how much of a CR change it causes?

Think you might find the standard 197 cams a little too wild for a turbo conversion, especially at the boost levels your likely to run on stock internals.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Good effort lads, any idea how much of a CR change it causes?

Think you might find the standard 197 cams a little too wild for a turbo conversion, especially at the boost levels your likely to run on stock internals.

The 182 cams, dephaser and solenoid all fit in the 197 so were going to use them.

were hoping to see figures over 250bhp with the standard bottom end.

We do know the exact CR but are keeping it to ourselves at the moment.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Looking good!

Too many 'broughts' in the first post though :S

Ph1 172
UPDATE

The engine is almost ready to go back in!

We got everything back from the powder coaters for this car and the "soon to be supercharged" Car

I must say, I'm very very happy with the finish.

DSC00796.jpg

As the rocker cover was back we torque the head down and installed the cams.

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

Next was the lower inlet, Megane 225 blue flag Injectors and the timing belt

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

Now the upper inlet and a couple of brackets

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

The modified sump will be ready at 2pm. That needs fitting then the engines going back in. We are trying to have it running well enough to come to the dyno day this Saturday!!!

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Update From Todays Work

Today work was a bit quite witch gave us some time to work on the Clio. Im happy to say we got a massive chunk out the way.

Firstly getting down to the business end of things was to fit the turbo!

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

Once we had fitted the turbo we were quite worried of the engine was going to fit back in the bay as this turbos a bit of a big boy! Next we took the engine off the stand and fitted the flywheel, helix 4 padle clutch and the gearbox.

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Next was to see if it would fit!

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

Shes in! With a fag papers width to spare!

DSC00821.jpg

Were going to need to do some serious heat proofing around the bulkhead and possibley move the brake lines but apart from that shes there! We are getting a custom downpipe made Friday, then it will be live map the standalone ECU over night and make it to the dyno day saturday! :)

Top turn around chaps!! Fair play to you. Looks like some serious work has gone into that engine :D

Time to post a write up on CS as well lol!

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
So IF someone was paying you to do this, you could get this done quicker? Top job if this is true. I hope you go far.

God yes! If all the parts were on the bench ready to rock and roll id say 3-4 days max. When you are doing the first one theres all ways bits you overlook and have to think about witch cost time. In the mean time we've had other jobs in keep keep the business above water.

340i
That is close to the bulkhead!

Is there enough room for a downpipe, it looks very tight on the photo?

Hats off though, super fast build!

Renault 5 Turbo
This is fantastic really can't believe how quickly you have put this together, look forward to seeing the results, nice work fellas :)

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
That is close to the bulkhead!

Is there enough room for a downpipe, it looks very tight on the photo?

Hats off though, super fast build!

Its is very close. Theres problery no more than 12-15mm. But the car has all three k-tec mounts so hopefully she will not hit.

The downpipe will be a hard one but the guy making it said he can do it so hopefully, he can :)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
As said by many others , well done!

Nice car and super work carried out.

Will be good to see the end result