ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speed Camera Question

Megane 225 baby! :)

Can someone confirm something with regards to front facing speed cameras for me - are they meant to flash?!?!? :eek: I was under the impression that they werent hence why they were front facing.

Reason for asking is that I got flashed this evening on the way home from work, doing 40 in a 50 (which is now under doubt as it could be a 30 but not quite sure!:confused:)

Cheers
Sawa

if you are heading TOWARDS front of lense, (camera is on your right) youll be fine, if it is on the left, heading away from front of the lense then youll get caught

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 12 October 2004

if you are heading TOWARDS front of lense, (camera is on your right) youll be fine, if it is on the left, heading away from front of the lense then youll get caught
Okay now Im confused! :confused: The camera was on my left but I was heading towards the camera!

So basically from what you are all saying is that I could be looking at points then - nuts! :mad:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

the ones around here they turn the head round! and have lines on the road on one side of the cam, either in front or behind, depending which way the head is facing!

Was it big and yellow, or Big and blue??

If it was blue then it was a truvello and you woudl have ebnn caught, if it was a more traditional gatso, they do flash when ur goignot toweards them sometimes, but they dont pick you up....trust me been flashed by them.

As a gerneral rule if they are ur side of the road then they will catch you.

If camera was on ur left and you were heading towards it then it will ahve caught you :(

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 12 October 2004

they do flash but it is infa-red so that it dosent blind the driver
infra red good enough to get a quality image then??

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 12 October 2004

If it looked like this then its not good news -

http://www.truvelouk.com/i/pic_main.jpg
Yup one of them! Bugger! :cry:

Guess I shall have to wait now! Not really sure what the limit was as it was a 50, but roadworks are happening on the flyover before it, which is down to a 30, but then after the flyover I thought it was back up to a 50 so played safe and did 40! People were doing the same, and Ive been doing it like this for ages - why today?!?!? :cry:

Lee

BMW M2C

Not good. :cry:

Weve not got any of those around here yet, instead we have stupid amounts of Gatsos.

While were on about speed cameras I feel a rant coming on, and not my usual one about the f*****g Welsh Police. ;)

On my drive to and from work I pass through 17 cameras. Thats a 40 mile round trip. Now these things cost a fortune to install and run, and surely even the empty ones cant be cheap to erect, so why the hell have 3 of them not had white markings painted on the road since its been resurfaced. Its been well over 4 months now. As I contribute to the dam things with the fines I pay I think I need to write and complain these fine safety devices are going to waste.

*and breath*

Lee

Fiesta ST

Dont them cameras use hidden lines in the road to activate them? so if road works where up they normally only put in temp gatsos for temp speed limits

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Longy on 12 October 2004

Dont them cameras use hidden lines in the road to activate them? so if road works where up they normally only put in temp gatsos for temp speed limits
No, its DS-2s that use strips in the road. There is a box at the side of the road that the dibble can plug his gear into. They have some near Banbury which flash up to slow down on boards, these are harmless but PC McGarry can connect his kit to these and its then a working speed trap.

I seriously doubt that they wouldve recalibrated the truvelo for a temporary speed limit which it is not located within - in fact most cameras that are within reduce speed limit road works dont get recalibrated - I wouldnt worry unduly Sarah.

car? need a license 1st!

One of the truvelo thingys caught me out (dont think it flashed) when i was coming back from Donny last year..

Went over this hill on a 50 mph speed road, and everyone started braking, before i knew it, the b*****d camera was in front of me.. didnt see it till the last minute as i was going over a hill... sneaky!!!

I was once flashed in lymington heading towards the isle of wight ferry, every car was getting flashed along there it seemed to me, (it was dark).

I am guessing it was faulty or something.

This was a good year and a half ago now.

Stuart

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 12 October 2004

they do flash but it is infa-red so that it dosent blind the driver
Its not infa-red as this cannot be seen by the human eye. It uses a purple flash, seen it happen. Some idiot over took me in a 40, and didnt see the camera made me :)

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by Sawa172 on 12 October 2004

Yup one of them! Bugger! :cry:
Guess I shall have to wait now! Not really sure what the limit was as it was a 50, but roadworks are happening on the flyover before it, which is down to a 30, but then after the flyover I thought it was back up to a 50 so played safe and did 40! People were doing the same, and Ive been doing it like this for ages - why today?!?!? :cry:

Im guessing thats the camera near the Redbridge flyover on the approach to the M271 island then?

Fingers crossed, but Im pretty sure it has been recalibrated for the temporary 30 as someone at work was praising the authorities for this when someone else mentioned they got caught by it... :mad:

Have you ever actually seen any workmen there though? I certainly havent, just a million and one cones....

I heard a rumour that if you paint your number plates with clear glossy nail polish, that it comes out blurry on speed camera pictures because it reflects the flash.

Anyone else heard this or know if it is true?

You can buy spray stuff which is legal to put on your plate which is supposed to reflect the flash. after you cover the plate, it says to keep polish on it like you would you car, and regularly re-apply it. Dont know how well it works though. And it is legal, cause the DVLA law states that your number plate must be readable (which it is) but it doesnt say anything about it being photogenic! There must be something you could use to make it relect the flash.

As for the infra-red cameras, i wouldnt have thought they would need to flash, thats the whole idea of infra-red isnt it?

Guys if the automatic number plate recognition systems cant pick up your plate it gets flagged for human intervention, and they can come down on you like a ton of bricks for avasion/perverting the course of justice etc - its not worth the hassle.

Truvelo front facing cameras are infrared, and they will use either a high strength infrared emmitter or an infrared flash as to go over the induction loops - either way youll see virtually bugger all (unless it gives out a tiny bit of light up at the red end of the spectrum - but Im guessing theyll have it pretty well spot on infrared only)