ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedline 2118 centre caps

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Made some center caps for my 2118s using some "Renault" caps off ebay and some 60mm x 2mm perspex tube. I measured the gap between the hub lip and the edge of the wheel, which is 9.5mm. I aroldited the rear of the caps in rings once the tube was cut at 9mm (wanted a little gap) Filled and flatted down, primed, flatted down again and the paint/lacquered. Once dry, I fitted them into the wheels. Came out pretty good and looks OEM I think.

20200227_174801.jpg
20200229_080947.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just my opinion, I like the white caps but think the silver diamonds clash with the wheels. Looking at the close up of the 2118, studs and nuts all Motorsport it just seems a bit out of place and a bit much.... But that's just me, appreciate the effort in going about making them.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Just my opinion, I like the white caps but think the silver diamonds clash with the wheels. Looking at the close up of the 2118, studs and nuts all Motorsport it just seems a bit out of place and a bit much.... But that's just me, appreciate the effort in going about making them.

I think I agree, the clash of OEM and motorsport for me just doesn't quite work. As mentioned though, mega effort and as ever fit and finish superb Mark

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I think I agree, the clash of OEM and motorsport for me just doesn't quite work. As mentioned though, mega effort and as ever fit and finish superb Mark
Obviously not taking away the effort gone into these, there will be a call for them for many a 2118 owner to cover the unsightly hub nuts at the front. To me Motorsport is about minimal, weight saving, and taking away the unnecessary, so the diamonds are fighting against that.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
2118s definitely need centre caps, I've been running without for a couple of months and they dont look complete.

Done a good job on these Mark, always going to struggle on the colour match with them being plastic. It's the never ending battle with these wheels! Always looks closer in person too than in photos.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the comments guys, all positive too regarding the work.

@Ricardos @Coops Mk1 yes I can see what you guys are saying. It's a tough one as if I had done them flat with no badge, they would have looked to plain and would "need something" in the center to break them up. The hub caps I ran before had various grooves in them so wasnt flat and that worked.

A few reasons I went down this route... i fitted new studs as i had 90mm already in my toolbox, but needed to run a bigger spacer so there wasnt too much stud showing. My hub caps pmsat out too far in my new PMS spacers. And I wanted to remove the rear 5mm spacer which would give me the same issue as the fronts.

I also have a silver badge on the front and rear of the car so felt this would work with the caps. Now that I know this setup works, I can have a go at doing a few more if I want, but I'll leave it for now.

@Louis yes agreed mate. The pics always make the colour match look more off that in person.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Your car looks the nuts
what mods does she have ?

Thank you mate.

As for mods, visually it has the following:

Bilstein B14 coilovers
White Speedline 2118s with centre caps
Front 18mm wheel spacers
Trophy replica spoiler
Washer blanks
Fog light delete with bass port replacements
Rear kill all wipers delete kit

I'm sure there is more, but it escapes me!

I think they look the nuts mate! Can you make me some 🤣

Thanks Mark!

The work involved for what they would sell for probably isn't worth it bud, in all honesty.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
I’d like to buy a rear Spoiler like the one you have,where did you buy it please?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As above.

Mine is a replica and came on the car when I bought it, although mine does look slightly larger than normal. Trophy ones are obviously more money too.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Marks is one of the Ebay Italian ones. Might not be able to get them right now... they're larger than standard and allow standard boot struts

The ccf one is an identical one to the trophy spoiler. You need shorter boot struts

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Thanks guys for your information
I hope your all keeping well and safe.
So my work finally decided to go on lockdown this Friday for 2 months, not really sure how I will keep myself busy, shops are closed and can’t get the things I need to do the jobs around the home, but I’ve got loads of cleaning products for the cars and will go and give them a good hard wax or two and if I can get some metal paint I will do the calipers.
So does anyone know if the Performance

French Car Show will be on this year ?

What are you guys doing to keep yourselves busy with the lockdown in place ?