ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo not working - Phase 2 172 with ABS

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Hey Guys,

Hit a bit of a dead end with this on the search function.

My speedo has never worked since i've had the car and after searching it appears it works from a sensor related to the ABS as apposed to a non ABS Clio's such a cup with works off a sensor on the gearbox.

Can anyone tell me anymore info on how the speedo the set up works on ABS models? and what i need to look for?

Cheers
Gav

BMW M135i
What year is the car? If theres no ABS fault light shown and its an early (Y, 51, 02) car check is hasn't got a speedo sensor fitted. As the early ones hit and miss use speedo sensors instead of the abs and its usually the speedo sensor in the diff that fails to cause lack of speedo.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
What year is the car? If theres no ABS fault light shown and its an early (Y, 51, 02) car check is hasn't got a speedo sensor fitted. As the early ones hit and miss use speedo sensors instead of the abs and its usually the speedo sensor in the diff that fails to cause lack of speedo.

Hi
There is no speedo sensor although the wiring plug is there. Have brought a sensor but no way will it fit in the gearbox, my brothers 172 cup had his speedo stop working last weekend and fitted it to his no problem, on the cup with the sensor out you could see drive part in the box which on mine there is nothing their just a funny shaped hole, its a 2001
Cheers

BMW M135i
Well sound like it should be using a speedo sensor as otherwise the plug/loom wouldn't be there and they're wouldn't be a hole in the box casing either. Any chance of a pic?

2003 Clio 172
ANy chance this could be a car that needs a speedo sensor thats had a new box, abs type before you bought it?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for all the responses guys/girls, its my kid brother so will get him to respond properly, from what i know it hasn't had a new box to be honest. its only off the back of mine having issues, and me using his part that he couldn't use to rectify his issue (Thanks gav ;) ) , the only thoughts we had is that any prior repair work may mean the sensor may not be fixed to the abs on the motor.....like he said we have drawn a blank to be honest. Photo's to follow

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Ok here's a photo,

P1559_08-09-10.jpg

As you can see the wiring/plug is there and it fits a speedo sensor no problem, but there is no way the speed sensor is going to fit in the recess pictured and no drive visible anyway.

The new gearbox theory could be a good one as i have no history with it so i can't verify if its had a box change.....

2003 Clio 172
Yeah, there is no sensor there at all tbh........yet you have a cable for it.

Check that the hole is not a blank and if not, just get a sensor and hook it up

J

Trophy Turbo :)
i think your car has had a incorrect box fitted as stated above, the wire IS NOT there if the car is ran from the ABS ring :)

you will see a small square plastic lug in the hole if it will take a speedo sdrive unit, IF NOT its defo wrong box ive seen 53 reg clios with this older type speedo input

Clio 172 "Ruby"
I have the same problem, 51plate sport with abs just had new abs sensor fitted an cleaned all the ring an bottoms of the sensor an speedo jumps all over the place an the stops working for a few mins then pop back for like 30 secs then down again, I also have no wire or plug goin to my gear box!! ;/

Sorry to bump and old thread, but it's a decent return on Google and nice to keep the info in one place.

I have a Speedo that's just dead, doesn't even read momentarily. I took this picture last night which I believe is the gearbox sender

IMG_20180731_222457890.jpg

So knowing I have the correct box in the correct car, can anyone tell me where to look next? Is it likely a fuse, or the sender and how would I check?

Thanks

Clio RS 172 2002
There should be a heat shield on the sensor to protect it from the manifold heat. Chances are it's been cooked.

Photo117-2.jpg