ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Split CV Joint on Mk2 172, 8000 miles

320d M Sport

would you expect this to be covered under warranty? Should be shouldnt it? I just found out when i changed my tyres...... the cars only done 8500 miles and i still have 2 years warranty left! Anyone else had this? Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Paddy

8500miles is low for a CV joint to go....give em hell...i think the car is still in warranty right? They can not class that as wear and tear.....it is defective workmanship!!!

Good luck

320d M Sport

That CANT be wear and tear can it?? Im just after a few opinions before i do indeed, give them hell........ Cheers

Paddy

172 sport,

mines gone too has been since donny south drivers side middle one gonna get it done on the first service when ive took the suspension/ wheels off coz i bet they blame that even though i noticed it when i took the wheels off to fit the springs . try and get a complete replacement cv joint sa the split rubber is mostly down to something braking off the cv joint,btw have you done any 1/4 miling yet coz i think thats what killed mine

320d M Sport

no!!???? I did burn through my Contis in 7000 miles...is it my driving "technique"? Bit poor if it is, its supposed to be high performance vehicle!! Glad to hear mine isnt the only one then.....phew

Paddy

The cv joint has failed or has the boot just split? was there grease everywhere? Does it click at low speeds when you have some steering lock on?

There is a factor of safety built into drive components so you should be able to drive it like you stole it with no adverse effect..............

320d M Sport

hi mate, i think its just the rubber casing split (boot?) but yeah, it looks like its been leaking grease, dont know how long its been like that though? this dangerous in any way? doesnt click as far as i can tell....

Paddy

320d M Sport

its when u apply for a job and dont get it. You take the afformentioned CV, roll it up, put some illegal substance in, then smoke it.... OR

Its a rubber thing on your driveshaft about 30 cms from your brake disk(driver side).

Paddy

Paddy, I can hear a creeking noise coming from the front right hand wheel area when I turn the steering wheel,(when parking) would this be the CV joint by any chance?

320d M Sport

God knows, thing is youre only gonna notice it if you take your wheels off and have a look, otherwise it could be shagged and youd never know! Im off to Reno tomorrow so I hope its covered by warranty!???????

Paddy

Its not dangerous to run with a split cv boot, it will just get water and road muck in the actual universal joint and will seriously shorten its lifespan. You fail and mot with a split cv boot, so best to get fixed soonest.

Colins motor with the creak on it needs lookin at, you didnt say if it happens when you are trickling back and forth or stationary. My mates 172 creaked at parking speed and his offside upper supension bush had collapsed, dealer reckoned it had been assembled wrong. Should be no problem with warranty on any driveline component, it is a safety item and should be treated as urgent by the dealer.

Thanks Technicalman, but I had my local dealer look at it and the mechanic said everything is fine. He drove it and put it up on the ram. Typically it dident creak when he was looking at it. It does creek when stationary (turning wheel from lock to lock) and it seems to do it only when the engine is hot!?!!. Any further suggestions?

320d M Sport

Still no word from renault about this, looks like theyre looking into it before they tell me either way, I wont be happy till they fix it, 8000 miles is a joke for it to split. Why do they split anyway??

PAddy