ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeak from rear over bumps (172 Cup)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Whenever i go over speed bumps etc there seems to be a squeek that comes from the rear, doesn't seem to be anything suspect but it does piss me off. Also, can anyone tell me if these are the correct springs for the Cup, they look a little short..?;

nearside;

null_zps5f574f8d.jpg

offside;

null_zps85b68b9f.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I did think they looked short? The car doesn't sit particularly low though it sits really low when parked on a slope! The colour markings on them mean anything?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think the yellow and white markings mean it's 172 cup springs. So it's the right springs.

They look short though, and don't seem to sit into the little cups properly, as if the bits at the top and bottom where they coil in on themselves has been cut off

That's another point, if the ends of the springs wrap around the cup that they sit on properly then they could be uncut. Would old or failed dampers cause it to sit low?

You could always look at the ends of the springs to see if they appear to be cut.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That's another point, if the ends of the springs wrap around the cup that they sit on properly then they could be uncut. Would old or failed dampers cause it to sit low?

You could always look at the ends of the springs to see if they appear to be cut.

I'm just about to do that! Not going to be happy if they are!

What about the squeaking? Anyone any ideas?

I've got the same problem. I'm uploading a video now hang on.

So once again YouTube has raped the quality.

0.06 onwards it's noticeable when going over the bumps if you turn your TV on mute and computer volume up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's not the exhaust by the way as it's done it with all 3 exhausts I've had on it.

Nor the springs/dampers because they aren't that old.

Will do. I'm guessing exhaust as well after thinking about it, I had new shocks and springs a while back so I doubt it's that. I'll shuffle the exhaust about a bit tomorrow and see what's what.