ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 182 Mid pipe corroded

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

I have a bit of a blow where the mid pipe meets the cat.

The top part of the flange has corroded. Rest of the pipe is fine but its blowing here as its not sealing correctly against the cat.

Whats the best solution? Car is still on full standard exhaust which isn't actually in bad condition apart from this.

Cheers,
Rick

Hi all,

I have a bit of a blow where the mid pipe meets the cat.

The top part of the flange has corroded. Rest of the pipe is fine but its blowing here as its not sealing correctly against the cat.

Whats the best solution? Car is still on full standard exhaust which isn't actually in bad condition apart from this.

Cheers,
Rick
Do Renault even sell the mid sections anymore? thats what i would find out first.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Got any photos? Is it the olive joint?

If so, get it cut and sleeved. If you Google 'cat mod 182' it'll bring up some photos of what I'm talking about.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Got any photos? Is it the olive joint?

If so, get it cut and sleeved. If you Google 'cat mod 182' it'll bring up some photos of what I'm talking about.

It’s at this joint. I took this before I removed the clamp and seen the bit of the flange missing.

2f7cb4e901c4fd6b50a0fe79e2b2550b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Thats a non genuine Renault mid section so not even worth repairing when they can be bought new for 90
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...199077&hash=item1e5ea2a65a:g:vsgAAOSw1JhZY~-k

Thanks for the link. I actually looked on eBay and didn’t see that!

How did you know it’s non genuine? I didn’t think it was genuine when I looked at the part on the screen in the dealers.

The rest of my exhaust looks fine its only the welded joints are quite rusty.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
It’s at this joint. I took this before I removed the clamp and seen the bit of the flange missing.

View attachment 1386689

Yep, that's the olive joint, prone to leaking. Best way is to take it to a proper exhaust place and get it sleeved.

Or you could buy a new centre section, however you may still have the blowing problem as the joints aren't great.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
The blow has gotten worse as I can’t stop driving the thing since I got it on the road lol.

The standard exhaust is one piece from the cat back from factory? Given I don’t have a standard mid pipe means it’s been cut to suit the replacement?

So if I get a new replacement what’s the chance my existing cut in the back box will suit?

If I do replace the centre pipe and then the back box starts to blow then what are my options?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Drive down to an exhaust shop and they’ll chop and sleeve the joint for you. It’s common enough.