ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

std conrods, max bhp ???

r5 gtt with 172 turbo eng
hello every1, im lookin to up the power on my engine but have been told that the std rod's will bend if i go over or near 300bhp, is this true or would i just be replacing parts that i dont need to ?

if this is the case and they do need upgrading can any1 put me in the right direction to a set of forged conrods and while your there a set of forged pistons ?

im currently running 255bhp @ 6.5psi and was just wanting to alter a few things (injectors, better fmic and W.I. ect.) and raise the boost to 10-12psi but dont wanna bend a rod in doin this.

cheers ;)

Fred2001Dynamic said:
arrow rods
woosner pistons
so the std rods are'nt up to goin near 300 bhp then ?????

cheers for the rods and pistons names, ive seen ktec are selling forged items of these, any1 know if they are any good also? also any1 know if JE sellin 172 items ?

not sayin that the arrow rods and woosner pistons are any good mate just tryin to gather as much info as pos b4 layin out the cash ;)

Grab some rods out of the turbo F4R (fred has some! ;)), or use some early early 1.8 16V rods, they are beefy as fek and the same BE dimentions and centre to centre length.

Boost doesnt kill rods, RPM does and abnormal combustion characteristics.

I wouldnt stump for arrows, they are literally one of the best, and mega £££. But you wont be needing the strength they offer. I have a budget steel rod which is more than appropritate for 90% of engine builds.

Also JE or accralite for low comp pistons (in terms of readily available) would be my choice over wossner (sorry fred, but wossner are cheap for a reason).

BenR said:
Grab some rods out of the turbo F4R (fred has some! ;)), or use some early early 1.8 16V rods, they are beefy as fek and the same BE dimentions and centre to centre length.

Boost doesnt kill rods, RPM does and abnormal combustion characteristics.

I wouldnt stump for arrows, they are literally one of the best, and mega £££. But you wont be needing the strength they offer. I have a budget steel rod which is more than appropritate for 90% of engine builds.

Also JE or accralite for low comp pistons (in terms of readily available) would be my choice over wossner (sorry fred, but wossner are cheap for a reason).

cheers for the info buddy.

any idea if these are any good ?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1795

and

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1483

Steel rods are steel rods, there are the best, then there are the rest. And in most applcations the 'rest' are more than good enough. I know of honda engines running on £250 steel rods running over 10,000rpm. So as they say, if they aint gonna break, then whats the point in spending more money. My rods are over £100 cheaper than that

The pistons look like JE style manufactuer, so should be good if they are, but i dont know if they are. ANd they are priced well tbh.

Like i said though, have a look at the pistons/rods from the turbo F4R series engines, they are lower comp and quite beefy, especially the crank!

Williams2,Willy rall
Accuralite pistons are like "Rockin' horse s**t ".I emailed them about an order for some,for a williams engine,and was quoted about 8/10 weeks delivery ~~ as per usual with Renault trick bits,they do not keep em in stock and are made to order.There may be some,Renault tuners have a set,best try ringing round.Not cheap either,but good things never are.

lol, plan for their order and arrival!!!

Big BHP and torque is gained through accurate and efficient combustion, NOT mega boost innit. If you can run more power, on less boost than someone else with the same engine, then your doing good.