ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 2.0 16v Turbo

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Looking good.

From experience you are going to have sooo many problems with the manifold. I garentee those welds will crack after time. Log type manifold is better but even these seem to warp and crack.

Renault Clio 16v
yeah im aware its going to crack :( one of the biggest pain jobs to do aswell, as im going to have to remove the head/engine to get the manifold off

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
yeah im aware its going to crack :( one of the biggest pain jobs to do aswell, as im going to have to remove the head/engine to get the manifold off

If you can somehow re-enforce those welds, then try to. I replaced all my exhaust mounts and tried giving the system more support just to take abit of stress off the manifold. But its difficult to stop warping and expansion.

Some manifolds have a cut on the mating face of the manifold to allow for expansion.

I have had to remove and weld mine twice now!! lol

P1000756.jpg

P1000761.jpg

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 16v
ah right, well i've got to fit all new rubber mounts on the system anyway. plus im looking into a mani/turbo brace to the block to take a bit of weight strain off of it

Renault Clio 16v
Exhaust is finally all put together and worked out after much hassle!! Found a nice section of flexi piping :)

07052009253.jpg

07052009261.jpg

07052009265.jpg

Also put my battery box in

07052009257_1.jpg

07052009258.jpg

07052009259.jpg

Tomorrow is D-Day (decision day) on rear brakes wether i mod them or keep standard as i'll be hearing from/visiting the machinist

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just read all 13 pages and it was well worth it!!!! Great project, like how you've just picked up bits off ebay and tried to make it all work! Amazingly impressed considering your not a mechanic! Good work! Can't wait til i have an income that means i can try things like this!

Clio V6 Mk2 255
Looking good.

From experience you are going to have sooo many problems with the manifold. I garentee those welds will crack after time. Log type manifold is better but even these seem to warp and crack.

I concur with some of the above ...

I just saw this thread and read the first couple of pages (will finish the rest in a bit) and my immediate thought was the manifold and turbo - it is in clear need of a turbo stay IMHO to prevent cracking/failure of the manifold which I would say will occur otherwise. I have had a fair bit of experience with turbo installations on various cars and have had tubular manifolds made before and have experienced issues with no stays.

It shouldn't be too hard to make a stay up to support the turbo though if you haven't already.

I also hope all the welds have been cleaned up inside the exhaust manifold too but that should be a given and it looks like a comprehensive job ...

Looks a great project though and I love turbochargers :)

Martin

Last edited:
this is cocking fantastic.

Think i saw the start of this on c16v then managed to forget about it.

Just read through the lot and i'm massively impressed with all the fabrication. I just wouldnt know where to start with everything!

Renault Clio 16v
Wrapped the downpipe today. Bought 100ft of exhaust wrap and still have miles left :lol: so going to wrap the decat aswell lol doesn't look to bad, sprayed it with some silicon stuff for heat wrap ?

16052009272.jpg

16052009273.jpg

ValverInBits
I'd leave it. You've got the DV in there to protect the compressor from really high pressures, It's just stalling a bit when it builds real boost up. I'd leave it for the noises tbqfh!

R19 16V
I got the same problem with my R19 Turbo.
When you drive it, and go all the way... (change the gear at 6000 rpm) it won't stall anymore... :).

Renault Clio 16v
Lil update

FINALLY got my hubs back after sending them off again to be reduced further

Bolted them on

13062009.jpg

Fitted the studs

13062009001.jpg

Slapped a disc on

13062009002.jpg

13062009005.jpg

then put the pad carrier on to see wahst what wehn it comes down to moving the calipers out for them

13062009008.jpg

13062009006.jpg

A little unsure as wether to drill and tap holes for a disc retaining screw at the moment...

Discs are 265mm

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the whole thread. All I can say its f**king awesome!

NNOOSS! at the latest updates ;)

Renault Clio 16v
04072009050.jpg

Put some rimtape on the wheels

This pic also shows what happens when you use r19 16v wishbones inplace of Williams, they induce too much castor