ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wont return to centre, sometimes jolts to the right

Clio 182
Hi all,

I Recently purchased a clio 182 FF, it has the cup shocks and is on eibach springs, ive just today got the tracking done and it’s near enough perfect.

When I am on full lock (any speed) the steering won’t return to the centre without me starting it off, around half lock it picks up and returns as it should. When I’m at a low speed (up to around 10mph) it won’t return to the centre the majority of the time.

when I steer to the right, it pulls in further as it jerks ever so slightly (around a quarter lock). It jerks as if I was to just randomly put in more steering then back off again quite fast.

There is also a clunk when, there’s no real pattern to this as it happens at both low and high speeds, both little and a lot of turning applied.

I have checked the power steering fluid and it’s all ok.

Im thinking possible driveshaft/steering rack issues. How can I help narrow this down?
Cheers

Clunking is probably top mounts - IIRC they are a common clunking noise on 1*2s.

Steering 'flopping over' past a certain amount of lock at low speeds and not returning to the centre is not unusual on cars with lots of steering lock - I believe it's something to do with the castor being a larger angle from the vertical than other suspension setups.

(I think...)

monaco 172
Jack it up and check the ball joints, rod ends, rods, top mounts.

With the car on the ground, check to see if you can see any excessive play in the steering rack bushes

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'd have a look at the rack bushes too. Sounds like they're not gripping it properly. I has mine replaced at AW motorworks and it made a huge difference.

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

I Recently purchased a clio 182 FF, it has the cup shocks and is on eibach springs, ive just today got the tracking done and it’s near enough perfect.

When I am on full lock (any speed) the steering won’t return to the centre without me starting it off, around half lock it picks up and returns as it should. When I’m at a low speed (up to around 10mph) it won’t return to the centre the majority of the time.

when I steer to the right, it pulls in further as it jerks ever so slightly (around a quarter lock). It jerks as if I was to just randomly put in more steering then back off again quite fast.

There is also a clunk when, there’s no real pattern to this as it happens at both low and high speeds, both little and a lot of turning applied.

I have checked the power steering fluid and it’s all ok.

Im thinking possible driveshaft/steering rack issues. How can I help narrow this down?
Cheers

Hey,
My car is doing the same thing, did you ever get yours sorted?
Thanks.