ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stereo upgrade

Clio FF 182
Hey guys, I'm new to the Renault scene and looking for some advice. I've had a search through the forum but a lot of threads are a few years old so I've started a new one, apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Just purchased a Clio 182 FF and looking to change the standard stereo (I actually need a code for the current head unit) and uprgrade to something that will allow telephone connectivity via Bluetooth as well as music streaming ability via Bluetooth and a rear USB. I know Alpine are cracking units and there has been mention on previous threads about certain units being able to utilise the upper dash display for info as opposed to having "Renault" displayed.

I'd like something that could be fairly discreet ideally but at the same time not adverse to the possibility of having a flip out screen either (this could obviously be retracted as required). The obvious want to utilise steering controls goes without saying.

Can anyone assist on up to date models or experiences at all?

Thanks in advance guys.

If you need the code for the stereo then I can help you out with it, just need a picture of the bar code etc on the top of the headunit itself.

If not, then there are various steering wheel control adaptors available for the original stalk. Alpine or Pioneer get my vote, but more so Pioneer. Personal preference tbh.

I would recommend one with colour customisation as well, saves it standing out with the rest of the illumination as well. Pioneer offer this with one unit that can do CD/Bluetooth & Phone Control/2 x USB's/SD Card Reader/Jack Input all in one unit.

Take a look on Car Audio Security

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I have this:
http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/sony-mex-n6001bd-dab-radio-with-cd-mp3-player-and-bluetooth?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Audio-_-DAB+Car+Stereos-_-150924&_$ja=tsid:60494|cgn:GoogleShopping|kw:150924&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=ripmrwtim&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344534764|agid:24344212204|tid:tongueout:la-211149546484|crid:83789081524|nw:g|rnd:13387545047905909018|dvc:m|adp:1o2&gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corOaks_7_YHl2w4anIuw_h2sxq5Ou3G59ZODGiiVozO6BoChCLw_wcB

With a connects2 steering wheel controls adapter, dab radio aerial and mic.

Ran all cables under the dash, poked the mic out by the steering wheel and you can't see anything apart from the windscreen aerial.

Enjoy being able to control Spotify tracks with steering wheel controls.

Really like it.

Edit: displays Renault on the top dash screen but you have the screen on the headunit which is the natural place to look anyway

Twingo 133
Recently bought an Alpine CDE-178BT along with the Alpine APF-D101RE Steering Wheel / Interface Adapter and it all works well for a tunerlist setup and can recommend it.

IMG_1832.JPG

Clio FF 182
IMG_3046.JPG
That's the info from the current head unit Chris. Any assistance would be welcome.

A couple of other great replies folks. Brilliant thanks.

Clio FF 182
Chris, it worked a charm mate. Thanks a lot. Passenger front speaker isn't working though but a good chance that's a wiring issue at rear of head unit. Further invest required...

The speaker grills just pop off at the bottom there are two recessed bits. The connections on the rear sometimes arent the best. If you have another speaker try that first with some wire in the plug perhaps.

Does the wiring look messed about with? Usually simple to sort.

No worries bud

Clio FF 182
Well, as suspected it was just a case of removing the speaker connectors and re attaching them more securely before sliding the head unit in carefully to not dislodge them. All speakers fully functional.

Now to find out why the stereo doesn't fire up and switch off with the ignition but does directly from the head unit. Probably a fuse. All 4 visor lamps aren't working and I have a suspicion that the cigar lighter won't work either so hopefully all on the same circuit. Love these little issues and getting to the bottom of them.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Recently bought an Alpine CDE-178BT along with the Alpine APF-D101RE Steering Wheel / Interface Adapter and it all works well for a tunerlist setup and can recommend it.

View attachment 175087
Hi,
Can you let me know where you bought the stalk control adapter - a link would be brilliant.

Yep... if the cig lighter and stuff dont work then get that fuse changed!

Sounds like someones been "upgrading" things in the past :wink:

Fuse is on the side of the dash passenger side probably 10amp check the diagram and yank it out

Clio FF 182
Everything is stock, no wiring changes etc. The stereo has definitely been out a few times though judging by the marks on it.

I'll get to the bottom of the little niggles that's for sure.

Twingo 133
Hi,
Can you let me know where you bought the stalk control adapter - a link would be brilliant.

Two came up on eBay from https://www.just-sound.de/ which where new, so took the gamble on it all being compatable.
Not sure if they have any more.

Iirc when I was looking, there where a few sellers across Europe who advertised them.
There is one currently used on eBay.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

View attachment 175087

Can you stream radio stations and music (from apps like spotify etc) from your iPhone to the head unit?

Listerine & Poledo
In many cases if you fire up spotify, or even YouTube, on your phone when it's connected, the head unit will play that back.

Ultimately, it's just an elaborate jack-plug, even bluetooth

Clio FF 182
Well the gremlins have been ironed out so now it's time to fit the new head unit.

Plumped for a Pioneer AVH 7800BT in the end with the flip out screen, will be fitted this morning. Quite a bit of wiring to hideaway and get set up properly.

Listerine & Poledo
There's not a huge amount of spare room behind the head unit, good luck with taht.

Why the flip-out screen ,out of interest? Does it have satnav on board or something?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
If you take the dash top off there is plenty of room to tuck the wires away.

I had a kenwood unit that could change the illumination of the screen and writing to match the renault lighting, swapped the cigar lighter for an aux/usb fascia so it looked a little more oem.

Clio FF 182
Yes, ideally I wanted a screen for the benefit of sat nav use.

I managed to get it fitted ok - was a squeeze right enough! but with a bit of perseverance and patience it went in. Not as flush fitting as others maybe but that's the nature of the design.

Unfortunately the steering controls aren't operating though so I suspect the interface I was supplied is the wrong one. Looks like the head unit will be coming out again!!!

Dash top off next time will certainly help. I didn't know it could come off easily!

BMW 320d SE

View attachment 175087
Just been researching this actually then came across this thread. It would appear if you have the Update List HU then you need the APF-D102RE steering wheel adapter. Can't find one for less than €90 though.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What's the lowdown on DAB stereo's for the Clio? The standard head unit doesn't pick up a thing hardly. Any recommendations for a cheap unit that picks up Bluetooth etc? Thanks.

Twingo 133
Hello! Do you still have this adapter ? Need some help wiring it :p
I’m afraid not, sold it when I sold my 172.

Shouldn’t need to do any wiring alterations?
Bought a APF-D102RE for my Twingo 133 and this worked straight away as did the APF-D101RE when I had it in the Clio.

Clio 1.6 16V
I’m afraid not, sold it when I sold my 172.

Shouldn’t need to do any wiring alterations?
Bought a APF-D102RE for my Twingo 133 and this worked straight away as did the APF-D101RE when I had it in the Clio.
Got it working!
Wasnt pluging the blue cable of the adapter to a power source

2016 Clio 1.2 16v
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2016 (65 plate) clio play and it comes with a single din stereo, I looked everywhere online and the only upgrade kits with android auto are for the dynamique trim that comes with a double din stereo. Is there any way that I could upgrade to a double din from a single din while keeping it looking as oem as possible? The only reason for this is because I would like to add a reversing camera, dab functionality and navigation which all of the Chinese double din head units include. Just wanna add that the upgrade kits include all the panels amd fascias to finnish it off but as I mentioned they are for the double din stereo.

Any help would be appreciated greatly
Thank you
Matty

Clio 1.6 16V
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2016 (65 plate) clio play and it comes with a single din stereo, I looked everywhere online and the only upgrade kits with android auto are for the dynamique trim that comes with a double din stereo. Is there any way that I could upgrade to a double din from a single din while keeping it looking as oem as possible? The only reason for this is because I would like to add a reversing camera, dab functionality and navigation which all of the Chinese double din head units include. Just wanna add that the upgrade kits include all the panels amd fascias to finnish it off but as I mentioned they are for the double din stereo.

Any help would be appreciated greatly
Thank you
Matty
Do you have photos ?