ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stick with the AMG? Or buy this...

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Currently own the below and don't get me wrong, it's a outstanding car, f**king quick, comfy, under Merc warranty, plenty of space and safe.

DSC_0420_zps8cb1c6c2.jpg

problem is I have always wanted a 996 turbo and the one in the pics would be the one. Completely useless when it comes to space, now old, but looks amazing with the power to boot.

image_zps34a48f4c.jpg

so do I start my midlife crisis early? Or stick to the family power wagon? Not going to tell you what the wife thinks....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i would stick with the amg... but then I'm bias lol, or change it for a cls63 amg shooting brake

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
i would stick with the amg... but then I'm bias lol, or change it for a cls63 amg shooting brake

Its hard work trying to decide malice. I have always known what I wanted and what I am walking into. The Merc is there and ready with no issues and perfect for a family. But like already said, you only live once! Plus I love arsehole cars, hence all the evos.....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
The 996 is gonna handle better (not that the amg is hardly bad just a bit big lol) but the 996 is is going to get more people trying to race lol, oh and it won't be as fun as destroying most other cars on the road in an estate LOL

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
The 996 is gonna handle better (not that the amg is hardly bad just a bit big lol) but the 996 is is going to get more people trying to race lol, oh and it won't be as fun as destroying most other cars on the road in an estate LOL

Ha! Yeah it is fun watching peoples jaws drop when I leave them for dead.

182trophy & Williams
follow your heart on this one mate, get that Turbo bought! especially if its a "S"

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
First image I went wow... second image I went WOW :)

s**t colour though imo, really doesn't do it for me. This is the one, although it probably helps that the wheels are f**king awesome... not sure about those roof racks mind.

2001-Porsche-996-Turbo-Side-s1-1.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
First image I went wow... second image I went WOW :)

s**t colour though imo, really doesn't do it for me. This is the one, although it probably helps that the wheels are f**king awesome... not sure about those roof racks mind.

2001-Porsche-996-Turbo-Side-s1-1.jpg

Ive never ever been a Porsche fan, until I've just seen that. I've spuffed.

get the 996 Ant!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm mega tempted by a 996 turbo at the minute too so I'd go for that! Or a nice C2S/C4S 997.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
996. I loved mine, and mine was only a C4S (same body). It was mighty expensive to maintain (especially with ceramic brakes) but probably only on the same level as your AMG I'd imagine.

The interior of the Porshe is more than a little dull. But, it performs amazingly. I'd try for the X50 if you can afford it. 450bhp from the off :)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I dont envy you havin to pick such a hard decision ;-)

i would be be more than happy with either, mercs abit different imo but the porka is nice

We had the 996 turbo in work a few weeks back and it was lovely, I would have the porsche personally.

The amg is a cool car though and the noise they make :hail:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
For me personally its now an old version of a great car.In fact 11 years old to be exact,and thats big bill time,and the headlights are hideous.

The car you have is fine but if you must upgrade then it has to be this version.http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...upe-atlas-grey-2006/1069852?isexperiment=true

Anything else just pails in comparison for me at least.

What about chopping the whole lot in and buying a bigger house...???(i dont know how big your house is btw,but ive had loads of friends who have finally given up the toys to progress onto a bigger house.)

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
For me personally its now an old version of a great car.In fact 11 years old to be exact,and thats big bill time,and the headlights are hideous.

The car you have is fine but if you must upgrade then it has to be this version.http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...upe-atlas-grey-2006/1069852?isexperiment=true

Anything else just pails in comparison for me at least.

What about chopping the whole lot in and buying a bigger house...???(i dont know how big your house is btw,but ive had loads of friends who have finally given up the toys to progress onto a bigger house.)

Someone who talks sense!

the 911 I posted above is under Porsche warranty and recently had a brand new engine, turbos, gearbox etc so well sorted.

The car does not affect the house what so ever so no issues there.

the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to keep the AMG. Perhaps I should hold fire and buy
a 996 GT2 in a few years.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I feel time as moved on ant1 tbh on this model,i'd wait if i was you...

There is nothing wrong with your car atm and it is much more functional than the porsche and probably not far off the speed of it either.

I think you can do better to be fair.

ST1050, 320d
I wish I was able to make choices such as these! I'd probably keep the AMG in all honesty. I've driven a 996 Turbo and it was pretty cool, but not overwhelming.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why would you ask a forum full of people who drive £2000 clios weather to change your massive AMG merc estate for a Porsche Turbo or not?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Very strange question mate.

I hate the front end of the 996 but... I love the 996T shape, very curvy!

I would have the 996T and a little family bus if needed. Then again if I had 996 money i'd have something else.

Needageddon.

If you need an estate then you'll keep the AMG. As if we can decide what type of car you need. WTF.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Why would you ask a forum full of people who drive £2000 clios weather to change your massive AMG merc estate for a Porsche Turbo or not?

Because I find this forum a lot more non biased than others I am a member on ;)