ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone chips sorted

Bryan from www.driveandshine.co.uk and Rob from www.gleammachine.net popped over last weekend to give me a crash course in wet sanding. It was also an excuse for them to try out some new products.

I have never known a car as bad as the clio for collecting stone chips, my bonnet and wings were in a terrible condition.

Purchased some paint from paint4u, great service arrived next day. Unfortunately the colour match was not the best.

Example of stone chip before painting

DSC_0001.jpg

The line up on the day

DSC_0012.jpg

Car was foamed up with snow foam, rinsed and re-foamed with Britemax Clean Max and then washed down.

DSC_0018.jpg

Then all three of us clayed the car using some Zaino Z18 clay, before drying.

Bryan then gave me a demo on wet sanding using both the PC with Abralon discs and by hand with some Meguiar's Unigrit paper.

DSC_0019.jpg

My first attempt wet sanding by hand ;)

DSC_0021.jpg

Rob then set about the roof using Britemax #2 pad and #2 polish.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

After correcting all the stone chips, we set about polishing the rest of the car. I sorted the bumpers with a PC with Britemax 4" pads, Bryan & Rob did the rest.

Car was wipe down with IPA (now a stock item), and then we applied a layer of Britemax #5 Extreme Elements - the guys were very impressed with all the Britemax compounds and loved the polymer sealant.

Then Bryan couldn't help give the car the once over with some #6S Spray & Shine QD spray. Tyres were dressed and exhaust cleaned and polished with Easy Cut and then followed up with Final Shine.

Here's the pics ....

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Some of Rob's photo's

porscheclio034.jpg

porscheclio038.jpg

porscheclio039.jpg

porscheclio040.jpg

Do you live in Florida?!?

No, although the weather was great last weekend.

This is my folks place, made sense to meet up there as close to junction 6 off the M25 and has the added bonus of a large driveway to work in.

Mito Sportiva 135
Top car Matt! Know what you mean about the stone chips on the Clio's paint though, got loads of micro-chips on the front end of mine which are tres annoying.

Chocolate Bar™
matt - seeing as they were giving you a demo are you likely to start stocking the abralon pads as its getting to the point where i really need to invest in some :(

From a small distance the repair looks perfect, unfortunatley as mentioned the paint was not a great match.

Here's a pic of one of the larger repairs on the bonnet, its just above the microfibre cloth in the middle of the shot. The surface is as smooth as a babies bottom but you can still just see the darker paint from the repair.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

When cleaning the car on Sunday I found a new stone chip on the drivers door, quite a big one.

If I can source a better matching paint I will post back with a step by step guide.

Cheers for pics, It looks ok. I can see what you mean about the colour diff.

Ive ordered my touch up pen from renualt hoping the match will be good. Should get it tomorro. If they have there ass in gear this time.

Will post up my results too :)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
That is one hell of a shiny Trophy!!!:D

Top work lads.

BTW Mat, I'm the CS'er who had the surplus AB Foam Lance and VIKAN wheel brush off Turner when you sent his delivery twice the other week.:approve:

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I knew Matt was good but two orders for the price of one ;)

He he...no Rich, unfortunately not.:dapprove:

Turner was going to have to send them back, so I said pay Mat for the second delivery by Paypal and I'd take Turner the cash and pick the bits up.

The lance is good, but the fittings swivel when youre using it, so I think they need threadlocking.

Mito Sportiva 135
On mine (and not sure if this was my fault when initially trying to fit it, was really tight) but if you fit it all the way in the connection the bottle sits at a slight angle, so I have to not rotate it all the way. No loss of performance though but the kind of thing that annoys me.

Matt, any suggestions how to sort this, think I mentioned this to you on the phone when I got it but then never got round to sorting it out! Can take a picture when I get home in a couple of weeks if it makes things a bit clearer.

Also just have to say Matt offered possibly the best aftersales support I ever received as he tested and made a replacement connection for the lance to fit my Karcher better - top man!

182trophy & Williams
If I can source a better matching paint I will post back with a step by step guide.[/quote]

^That would be wicked mate, 474's gonna need this soon

trophy looks sh!t'ot mate:approve:

Quick question, Ive just filled some of my paintchips.

How long did you leave the paint to dry before you wetsanded the chip?

Also did you add a clearcoat?

Matt, any suggestions how to sort this, think I mentioned this to you on the phone when I got it but then never got round to sorting it out! Can take a picture when I get home in a couple of weeks if it makes things a bit clearer.

Easily sorted, ringme when you get back.