ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopped by the police

Just been upto my work and on the way home got stopped by the police....fought it may have been for using my phone at the lights but no stopped me for having pressed plates....and processed to tell me that if a hit someone the plate would cut the person open...c**p excuse for my me tbh....were do you stand if you buy them off a website (in my case dubmeister) that advertises pressed plates that are 100% legal?

E36 328i
Read below..

PART 1
VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)
1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities

If I am right, steel (which I think the plates are made of) is not a retroreflecting material. Did you get a ticket? I think ANPR might struggle to read them too.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If I was going to be hit by a car, the last thing I would be worried about is the number plate! lol I'd be more concerned about the tonne of metal and plastic ploughing into my legs/head/body at 30 MPH

Have they given you a fine or anything?

As long as they have the post code and BS number stamped on them then they are classed as legal

As Chris said i wouldn't be worried what the plares are made of if i was being hit by a car

Road police??

Anpr can read them fine been stopped with them on the car before when the dvla never updated my tax disc......well that's what I was thinking hit by a car weight a tonne would hurt anyway....they gave me 21 days to change them and get the slip stamped from mot centre.....gave me a choice of that or 60 quid fine for each plate...choose the cheap option....but the stupid part is the cars lowered on coilovers straight through decatted exhaust and induction kit but they stopped me cause of the plates

My pressed plates are retroflective and i got pulled the other week and had my car fully inspected by them and they said nothing..

Don't say nothing about pressed plates on here?

new-style-plate.jpg

No where in the VOSA gudies does it state what material a plate needs to be made from.

Take it to an MOT center, if it has BS AU 145 on it then get it stamped and post it back to the police.

Or go in and have a chat with a senior traffic officer and ask them to show you where in the law it states you can't have a plate made from metal.

^^Beat me to it

Take it to the nearest MOT and ask them to check them and if they are ok take the slip back and tell them where to get off.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perfectly legal as far as I aware, and a plastic plate could also be a problem if you got hit by it TBH, after all what if it shatters and stabs you through the heart? lol

Aww I'm getting the slip stamped then take it from there ...the other funny part a can't get over is that he said its a modification....yeah like the cars gona handle any better or go any faster....the other one was more intrested in all the booze on the passenger seat

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Aww I'm getting the slip stamped then take it from there ...the other funny part a can't get over is that he said its a modification....yeah like the cars gona handle any better or go any faster....the other one was more intrested in all the booze on the passenger seat

Just to clear up to you want modification means, it means something that isnt exactly as per OEM spec, doesnt have to mean it handles better or goes faster, just means it is different to how the car was originally type approved for use on UK roads.

On that point he is correct. But the thing he is incorrect about is that the plates being BS stamped, means they are allowed as a modification, as they are viewed as equivalent.

When I got pulled for having pressed plates on my last car, he would not let it go after claiming they were legal.

Luckily I know a copper from the same station as him who had the same pressed plates as me on his own car so he had a word!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Get i stamped, and go to the police station with the ticket and as above, speak to someone else and ask them to show you how they are illegal

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Good job it wasn't the grammar police....

They probably just wanted to stop you, and this was an excuse, not like you got fined or anything.

Now Sold :-(
Get i stamped, and go to the police station with the ticket and as above, speak to someone else and ask them to show you how they are illegal

I assume the OP got a producer. Take it in and get your docs checked. Don't even mention the plates. If you go in there trying to make/prove a point you will end up getting yourself and your car known for the wrong reasons and spend a lot of time in the near future sat at the side of the road while every cop from the station inspects any and everything on your car

This comment is not made specifically at this thread, as tbh it's great to see people providing links & VOSA images etc to back arguments. But, in the last two threads I've read:

An alarming number of people seem to think "if a single source doesn't say you can't do something, then it must mean it's legal," if they've seen someone else with similar/same modifications then it must be legal, "I've seen a policeman do it so it must be legal," or "I've never been pulled for it" so it must be legal.

I got done for carbon effect ones that demon plates clearly state on there website as 100% road legal, the police officer tried to blah me that the bs stamp is just for the plastic, which I believe to be a load of bull

renault clio 182
Unlucky buddy!! Don't see the big trouble with any types of plates so long as you can read them what's the big deal!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This comment is not made specifically at this thread, as tbh it's great to see people providing links & VOSA images etc to back arguments. But, in the last two threads I've read:

An alarming number of people seem to think "if a single source doesn't say you can't do something, then it must mean it's legal," if they've seen someone else with similar/same modifications then it must be legal, "I've seen a policeman do it so it must be legal," or "I've never been pulled for it" so it must be legal.

Agreed totally, seen that sort of thing a few times on this forum, its a worrying way for people to be judging whats legal or not.

You wouldnt do it with other things in life (I know a copper who beats his mrs so it must be legal) so I dont know why with cars people take those sort of leaps of faith, lol