ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Gig LAN Issue

Tesla MP3 2021
Ok so I have setup a Netgear Gigabit Switch (GS105) downstairs to attach to my NAS and media player.

I am using a 30 meter Cat6 cable and it was fine yesterday when I tested i.e plugged in my router up stairs and just ran the cable loose downstairs and connected it to the switch, both lights were lit to indicate a 1000M connection.

I have installed the same Cat6 cable today under stairs carpet, living room carpet etc and now when its connected to the switch I can only get 100M :(

Now there is a bit (2 meters roughly) of excess Cat6 left at the switch end but surely that cant be effecting not getting 1000M, also if the cable somehow got damaged when I was installing it then surely it just wouldn't work at all.

Everything has been reset etc but still the same.

I have tested the switch upstairs connected with a cat5 cable directly to the router and it connects 1000M

What a load of b****cks lol :mad:

Any ideas???

2.2 bar shed.
If you've got a long power extension cable, try plugging that into the same plug as the switch is in then run it downstairs and attatch your NAS and see what happens. Unlikely but it could be noise through the cable from differences in power, had that before but it was in separate buildings. Any potent kinks in the cable? Cat 6 is a bit of a picky fucker compared to Cat5e when it comes to bits like this. Nothing compares to the hell of laying fibre though...

Tesla MP3 2021
Ok, so just to try and clear things up a bit and also, just to point out all of my devices i.e router, NAS etc are all Gig capable.

So, my router is upstairs, I have ran a 30 meter cat6 cable all the way downstairs (under carpets etc) to where my TV is setup which is where the NAS and media player is.
I am using a Netgear GS105 Gigabit switch which is downstairs with the NAS and media player.

When I tested the cat6 cable yesterday it connected to the switch fine, this was just with the cable running loose over the top of the stairs etc.

Now that I have fitted the cat6 cable properly upstairs to downstairs I have connected it to the switch but I can only connect at 100M and not 1000M.
It doesn't matter if the NAS is connected or not essentially the switch isn't syncing with the router at Gig speeds but it was yesterday when first tested.

I have checked the cable where I can and it appears to be fine, no kinks or anything, as I say surely if it was damaged then it wouldn't work at all.

Fiesta ST
If one of the pairs is damaged then you wont get a gigbit throughput but could still get 100m.

Fiesta ST
Use Cat5e (Easier to work with) unless you looking to do 10GB connections in the future.

You using stranded or solid conductor forms?

Tesla MP3 2021
So I have gone from 125MBps transfer rate down to 12MBps now when I transfer files via FTP :( bugger lol

Tesla MP3 2021
Use Cat5e (Easier to work with) unless you looking to do 10GB connections in the future.

You using stranded or solid conductor forms?

I will do!

I will order a shorted flat cat5 cable and do it all again!!! lol :(

Cupra
Does it have your own connectors on it or premade ones? I have the same issue at mine, but it is because of a loose cable in the plug.

Tesla MP3 2021
Does it have your own connectors on it or premade ones? I have the same issue at mine, but it is because of a loose cable in the plug.

Pre-made end to end.

I am intrigued to know where the cable has damaged as I was pretty careful making sure it was flush and not near the carpet grips etc!!

Tesla MP3 2021
It has slight bends yes to the contour of the flight of stairs, not near power cables though.

BMW M135i
Silly question but have you tried repowering the switch? I've had no end of trouble with the plastic netgear "home" switches doing this, they are shite. The dearer metal ones are fine.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yes I have repowered the switch and it's the same. It's definitely the cable as said above it connects fine to 1000M when connected directly to my router upstairs using a standard cat5 cable.

The switch is one of the metal ones :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
you said avoid the carpet grippers. you can never be too sure. so as a precaution in future hammer down the nails on the carpet grippers near where the cable may come into contact. Also you should really avoid using a cable that long. Have you thought about investing in home plugs?

Tesla MP3 2021
Oh right. I have used a flat cat6 cable which I tried to make sure was well away from the grippers and it mainly ran in the grove between the grippers and wall. I think it's a bend or kink that's broke it.

I have just come away from Home Plugs, they work fine but for what I want to do I need as much bandwidth as I can.
I'm actually selling my WD ones in the for sale section :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough. They do do Gigabit connection ones. I have several sets in my house due being too lazy to cable it all up properly origionally. Now I have everything coming in through the loft and running through the walls etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I found them okay to be honest, had belkin ones, but to be fair I wasn't really using a lot of bandwidth and never really checked to see what REAL figure I was getting with them.

Tesla MP3 2021
See thats the thing, I dont want to splash out on some not to get decent performance.

I shall have a think what to do, I might go external through some walls :D

Fiesta ST
That's the problem with WIFI and Homeplugs - too big overheads, you loose a lot of throughput - cable FTW.

Tesla MP3 2021
Its just a lot of money to spend if they dont work at an acceptable level. I have already bought some as I say so will look the other options for running the cat5 cable a different way.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I have installed the same Cat6 cable today under stairs carpet, living room carpet etc and now when its connected to the switch I can only get 100M :(

Definitely a break in one of the pairs, you don't need all the pairs to run 100mbit. Cat6 is much more prone to line breaks over CAT5E. As mentioned, replace it with CAT5

Also you should really avoid using a cable that long. Have you thought about investing in home plugs?

WTF ? The specs are it's good for 100m + 5 meter patch. Stop spouting crap.

Taken from the Netgears website re the POWERLINE AV 500 ADAPTER KIT...

http://netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5001.aspx

Hardly "Gigabit" is it ;)

It's marketing getting their say again. They mean 500mbit full duplex so a total theoretical throughput of 1Gbit (500mbit down, 500mbit up).

Yes, I know.. they should just write 500mbit full duplex on the box ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
I don't think it will fit flush to be honest. Might try a test before I decide to go external.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
WTF ? The specs are it's good for 100m + 5 meter patch. Stop spouting crap.

are you telling me that a cable does cause more resistance the longer it is? if you have a 2m cable are you telling me the speeds are the same as a 30m cable?

I think you need to stop "spouting crap"

Don't need to try and be some smart arse arrogant c**t.

Polo + Micra
are you telling me that a cable does cause more resistance the longer it is? if you have a 2m cable are you telling me the speeds are the same as a 30m cable?

I think you need to stop "spouting crap"

Don't need to try and be some smart arse arrogant c**t.

the thing is the cable runs at full speed at maximum length so any shorter is a bonus (resistance doesn't really come into it @ 100Mhz)