ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Gig LAN Issue

Fiesta ST
my point is he is trying to achieve the best possible bandwidth. the less cable he can use the better.

He will get the same bandwith with 5m or 90m though makes no difference.

On another note, if you go external you must use external cat5e cable other wise you will get problems down the line.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
are you telling me that a cable does cause more resistance the longer it is? if you have a 2m cable are you telling me the speeds are the same as a 30m cable?

I think you need to stop "spouting crap"

Don't need to try and be some smart arse arrogant c**t.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. The specifications for networks over CAT5/6 state that you can run up to 100m between devices (be that a computer, switch, hub etc). So once again, please, stop spouting crap about things you don't know.

He will get the same bandwith with 5m or 90m though makes no difference.

Exactly.

Tesla MP3 2021
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Fitted a new std cat5 cable and its working a treat, full gig lan ftw :)

It actually fitted better than the flat cat6 lol!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
lolz.

Capacitance is more of an issue in high speed signalling, filtering out high frequencies is not a good thing.

Resistance is much less of an issue, especially in the sort of distances involved in the ethernet specifications.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well it didn't take long, now this cable has failed and reverted back to 100/1000 :(

It was working great for a couple of weeks then I noticed that the port light on the router went back to blue, my bet is that the hover on top of the carpet has somehow damaged the cable underneith!

So, it looks like it will have to be an external cable run, when I can be arse'd doing it!

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
Can you drill a hole at the top of the stairs, then have it come out if the cupboard at the bottom?

If going external, make sure you get external grade cable

Tesla MP3 2021
Our stairs are above the garage so I suppose I could go into the garage and then into the front room.

Though I think I would prefer to go outside and back into the front room where the Sky feeds come in. Yes, I would get an external grade cable.

Thats unlucky for two cables to fail. The last cable I ran was a proper bodge effort, in 1 section the shielding was missing due to getting trapped in the door, yet it still worked. Sure its not the switch or router that has an intermittent problem?

Tesla MP3 2021
I know, tell me about it!

I was thinking that the other day actually, I will try different ports on the router and switch tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Tesla MP3 2021
Tried different ports on both devices and its still the same so it must be the cable.
I have ordered a 20m External Cat5 cable so will be installing that this weekend, 3rd time lucky hey?