ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Striaght line speed.?

Which is faster striaght like..

..GLanza V or 172 ?

opinions or videos or first hand experience please :rasp:

std vs std, the 172.

Mate had a glanza V and i had a vts and we dead level everytime after about 100 run's, if anything the saxo was slightly quicker so a 182 should pip it providing its standard ish

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Remember, the Clio isn't about straight line speed.

but neither is a glanza! they are limited to 110ish iirc too? not hard to remove though.

my mate had a standard gtt, lighter than a glanza and no boost limiter in first and second gear like the glanza and my standard 172 was much faster, starlets are cheap-ish to tune though to a certain point, dont handle as well as the clio though

MCS R56
Remember, the Clio isn't about straight line speed.

but neither is a glanza! they are limited to 110ish iirc too? not hard to remove though.

my mate had a standard gtt, lighter than a glanza and no boost limiter in first and second gear like the glanza and my standard 172 was much faster, starlets are cheap-ish to tune though to a certain point, dont handle as well as the clio though

My point exactly

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
clio would be quicker STD vs STD no doubt....but those Glanza's are very easily and cheaply tuned to over 160bhp and with a bit of money over 200bhp.

STD they are resticted to low boost in 1st and 2nd gear 110bhp (i think), then in 3rd they get full boost 130BHP (i think). many people rearange the vacum pipes to get full boost the whole time giving the car a better 0-60 time.

Clio 200
i had a play with one the other day couldnt touch it :(

did speak to the guy and it was running 230bhp so not so gutting lol

german
std vs std, the 172.

Mate had a glanza V and i had a vts and we dead level everytime after about 100 run's, if anything the saxo was slightly quicker so a 182 should pip it providing its standard ish

absoulte pish. I had a VTS before my 182 and the clio is definitely faster, before and after 60. When I had the saxo I also lost ground to 172s in a straight line, so don't think you're saxo was standard somehow.

std vs std, the 172.

absoulte pish. I had a VTS before my 182 and the clio is definitely faster, before and after 60. When I had the saxo I also lost ground to 172s in a straight line, so don't think you're saxo was standard somehow.

WTF ? have i said my saxo was quicker than a 172 or have i said it was quicker than a 182 ? NO. I've said we had those car's did hundreds of runs, and most were level or i would pull slightly due to his lag. :nono:

Something can feel faster and its actually not, my 220bhp ibiza felt quicker than my mates Type R, side by side there was next to nothing in it..due to the way power is delivered etc

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
std vs std, the 172.

Nice way to read his post.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
But who is having most fun the Scoob driver of the Clio driver?

My mate has a coilovered up 300bhp Scoob (facelift classic) and his clearly beats mine in a straight line, and round a wet castle coombe race track, but he can't get enough of driving the 182. Esp since I got the Gaz coilovers on.

MCS R56
But who is having most fun the Scoob driver of the Clio driver?

My mate has a coilovered up 300bhp Scoob (facelift classic) and his clearly beats mine in a straight line, and round a wet castle coombe race track, but he can't get enough of driving the 182. Esp since I got the Gaz coilovers on.

Enough said, I think! Power doesn't make a car.

And enough Scoob talk!

F56 MINI Cooper S
not being funny but any scooby would leave most cars in the twisties for dead including a clio . And the scooby driver would be having alot more fun :D :approve:

Clio 200
not being funny but any scooby would leave most cars in the twisties for dead including a clio . And the scooby driver would be having alot more fun :D :approve:

including the entry levels? even the 2.0 non turbo awd are pretty pants tbh

quite simply wrong. Impreza's were clearly aimed at people who cant drive and rely on mechanical grip to haul them out of trouble. Fast exit speed, poor entry speeds are typical, as is understeer and ditch finding.

Your not 17 by and chance and have just passed your test? lol

MCS R56

quite simply wrong. Impreza's were clearly aimed at people who cant drive and rely on mechanical grip to haul them out of trouble. Fast exit speed, poor entry speeds are typical, as is understeer and ditch finding.

I was just thinking that. Who is really driving, the car or the driver?

it's a tool for the ignorant imo, boring and uninvolving to drive once you get over the initial flat 4 burble wow factor. Chavs love to go on about the handling as being something special... hmm, not convinced as my mate's understeered itself round the Cat and Fiddle run and ended up having to wait in the pub for him... Bilsteins coils, new whiteline ARB, replaced drop links and it was much much better, although it now requires some skill to go quickly.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I like the look of Glanza's in a funny osrt of way but the 182 looks better.

Unless you've got a fairly modified Glanza I wouldn't imagine having a prob getting past them - my old Saxo Vts used to get past them no problem.

However there is a circa 250bhp Glanza around the Bristol area - saw it lapping at coombe and it looked very quick.

I like the look of Glanza's in a funny osrt of way but the 182 looks better.

Unless you've got a fairly modified Glanza I wouldn't imagine having a prob getting past them - my old Saxo Vts used to get past them no problem.

However there is a circa 250bhp Glanza around the Bristol area - saw it lapping at coombe and it looked very quick.

What power wide do you class as fairly modified ?

I thought a 160bhp Glanza would give 172/182 a good go as aren't they lighter ?

F56 MINI Cooper S

nope, 16 turn 17 in august. Your getting the impreza mixed up with the evo. the evo relys on its LSD and active yaw control, to get it round corners, the impreza is more of a drivers car :) Im not going to argue what is better handling as the impreza is in a totally different league. (my dad owns one and they are awesome in the twisties)

LOL

your car knowledge and experiences are also in a different league... sunday league.

Impreza's are crude and far from drivers cars, hence the understeer. Drivers cars dont understeer typically.

F56 MINI Cooper S
LOL

your car knowledge and experiences are also in a different league... sunday league.

Impreza's are crude and far from drivers cars, hence the understeer. Drivers cars dont understeer typically.
yeah course they are...unlike clios :boring: your car knowledge seems to be even more sunday league than mine, by even continuing with the silly arguement, just admit it, clios do not touch imprezas in any way or form!

the day I take car advice from a kid who cant drive is the day I successfully manage to lick my elbow and eat my own head. Basic 182 will easily keep pace with most if not all base model turbocharged impreza's... that's just in a straight line, forget corners. I've driven every evolution of the Impreza bar the latest one, this is my experience of one, not a 2nd hand account of how good it is from a passenger seat with ZERO driving experience... anyway, dont know how Impreza's came into this :S

MCS R56
Jordi, you don't seem to be getting this. You posted the last comment so does that mean your knowledge is even, even more Sunday league? Also, the Impreza may be a quicker A to B car but that's not the point.

BTW, I've nothing against Scobbys. They are what they are - and very ugly! The new version is almost comical to look at!

F56 MINI Cooper S
the day I take car advice from a kid who cant drive is the day I successfully manage to lick my elbow and eat my own head. Basic 182 will easily keep pace with most if not all base model turbocharged impreza's... that's just in a straight line, forget corners. I've driven every evolution of the Impreza bar the latest one, this is my experience of one, not a 2nd hand account of how good it is from a passenger seat with ZERO driving experience... anyway, dont know how Impreza's came into this :S
EXACTLY, base model, stick it up against a spec c, sti type 25 etc and we will see a different story. **** me off all you want, i know im right. if youve drive all these imprezas why do you own a clio?