ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strong fuel smell inside & out (Clio 172 Cup)

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Right boys and girls, I think I know the answer to this but wanted to confirm before going ahead and doing anything.

Filled my Cup up earlier on up to the brim- took 44litres. Took the car to Benfield Road Renault for my new gearbox seal and then on to Metrocentre. As I was driving, there was a smell of fuel getting stronger and stronger. I thought it was the exhaust so opened the window and the smell was outside too. Drove home again thinking I had an issue with the exhaust manifold but checked inside first remembering the fuel pump was inside.

Lifted the back seats and took the cap off the pump to find the whole lot swimming in petrol. Mopped it up and realised the pump itself has play in it- able to move vertically 5mm or so. Went for a drive and when I had a look again, there was more fuel had leaked out so know that is the culprit. The whole top of the white area was wet and there was some petrol inside the enclosure bit.
I also noticed 3 arrows which I'm not sure should be lined up- A on the white part of the pump, B on the black sealing ring and C in the pump enclosure area. The ones A and C were lined up but B was out of alignment to the others. If that means anything I don't know.
My question is- should those arrows line up, and should it just need tightened up again or worth replacing the seals in full, if possible? I've attached a picture below (if it shows) showing the arrow on the pump itself I identified as A above.

topcat_441745160.jpg

**** EDIT ****

Doing a quick check, I found http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-2-Fuel-Pump-Seal-Kit.html which looks like a seal for the pump.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Sounds like the large rubber O-ring that goes under the big "black sealing ring" has failed or gone missing. I'd whip the sealing ring off and have a look.
Yes those arrows should align.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Best way to remove the ring? Gonna see if I can seal if- if not running it to Andy @ ClioTurbo

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
With a hammer and blunt chisel type thing (eg socket extension bar) just to get it started, and then by hand the rest if the way. Obviously remove elec connector and fuel feed(s) first.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
I think the issue is that the locking ring isn't tightening down far enough. I only seem to get 1/2 turn or so before it sticks, even using a large screwdriver and hammer to ease it around. Or is that about right to tighten?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Right this is all sorted :smile:
The cause was simply the seal being in the wrong place. When I opened the pump up, the seal was in the cap instead of below the pump and assumed that was where it was meant to be so left it there. And so there was nothing to prevent the fuel getting past and out the top. Top work by @Andyrg@ ClioTurbo and a top top fella to boot :up:

All dry when I got home again