ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe Measurements?

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
I need a bit help with a few measurements of a 172 Subframe. The specific measurements I'm after are listed below and can really only be done with the Subframe off IMHO:

- From the centre of the LH Wishbone FWD Mount (middle distance between the two lugs) to the centre of the RH Wishbone FWD Mount.

- From the centre of the LH Wishbone REAR Mount (as above) to the centre of the RH Wishbone REAR Mount.

The reason I need the measurements is to help with some calculations I'm doing with the geometry that I will use to help with modifying my Leda Struts on my R5 GT Turbo as this will be converted to run 172 Wishbones on it's widetrack conversion. (The body work will be modified to accommodate the track width)

I would do this myself, but I no longer have a 172 and the one I had front end damage.

Thanks in advance.

Woz

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
While doing some research I came across this tubular Subframe for GTT/Clio1. Looks the business and would no doubt save a few kilos while stiffening up the front end.

GTTTubularSubframe_zps16e86b2a.jpg

02 Iceberg 172
Also looks like something like that would also allow you to have higher mounting points for the front wishbones and correct any rollcentre issues you may have running lowered suspension...

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
Also looks like something like that would also allow you to have higher mounting points for the front wishbones and correct any rollcentre issues you may have running lowered suspension...

Yeah, maybe the difference between Tarmac and Gravel setups?

d19wood

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 T , Megane
I've got mine off so I can paint it just now so I can measure up for you. Do you just want measurement hole centre to centre across the subframe on front and rear bush mount points?

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
My eyes agree with your eyes. Trailing inboard pickup is the only adjustable one.

You could both be right. There's no info on the site that sells them. At the price they sell for (2100 Euros), I won't be getting one anytime soon!

Well if the trailing pickup has two options then that inclines the wishbone in the horizontal plane when viewed side on (XY plane in SAE coordinates) which is clearly intended for anti dive.

Granted it will likely move the roll centre ever so slightly, but will make a far bigger difference to the anti dive coefficient/percentage.

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
Steven, you are on the money there. It was obviously worth including it in the design so I'll assume it has some value on a competition Clio1. That said, I've never seen a std subframe with this mod?

Taking the thread back on track for a minute, does anyone have a std Clio1 and/or Clio2 front subframe handy that they can measure as per the original post?

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
If anyone has either got a subframe off the car or possibly on axle stands or ramps could you please spare me 10 minutes of your time (that makes me sound like those salesmen that stop you in the street) for the above measurements?

This will really help me out. Thanks

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
I've got mine off so I can paint it just now so I can measure up for you. Do you just want measurement hole centre to centre across the subframe on front and rear bush mount points?

I'm not entirely sure how, but it would appear that I missed this post, so I apologise for not responding to your kind offer.

If you still have the Subframe off I would love those measurements (mid point of both the Fwd and Aft Wishbone pivot points from side to side.

Thanks in advance.

Woz

d19wood

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 T , Megane
Hi Woznaldo hope these help you out.

subframe.jpg

4. 685mm Rear
3. 710mm
2. 750mm
1. 775mm Front

Last edited:

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
d19wood, You are a legend mate! Thanks for your efforts, this will help me out no end.

Can you just clarify what the figures above are? I'm assuming the following:

4. 685mm Rear = The distance from the LH Wishbone Rear Pivot to the RH Wishbone Rear Pivot?
1. 775mm Front = The distance from the LH Wishbone Front Pivot to the RH Wishbone Front Pivot?

What do the rest relate to?

3. 710mm?
2. 750mm?

Could I also be very cheeky and ask for one more measurement? With the Wishbones roughly level with the Subframe, the distance from LH to RH Centre of LOwer Ball Joint? If you can't do it's not a problem.

Thanks again.

Woz

Last edited:

d19wood

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 T , Megane
For the span between ball joint centres I get 1360mm on my old wishbones and knackered bushes but I will double check once I get the new wishbones and bushes fitted.

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
For the span between ball joint centres I get 1360mm on my old wishbones and knackered bushes but I will double check once I get the new wishbones and bushes fitted.

Your are a Scholar and a Gent, a true credit to this forum.

Interestingly, the Front Track is recorded as 1430mm for the 172 which would put the centre of the lower Ball Joint inboard of the wheel centreline by 35mm, which sounds reasonable.

Thank you again!

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
I'm going to be a complete pest and ask for all your help again. Can someone please measure the distance between the centers of the strut tops for a 172 or 182 (assuming the same for both).