ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Change - Am I being completely stupid?? Please Help!

Hi Guys,

As some of you may have seen I have been getting my 172 Cup back to standard(ish) mint condition. Part of this was changing the coilovers back to 172 Cup shocks with cooksport springs.

Have the car on axel stands and removed the coilovers. Have built the new suspension and the top nut is wound all the way down to where it needs to be. However it’s so much longer than the mounting points?

Am I being stupid or do I have to somehow use compressors to put it back in and if so how would I get them off after. I have watched several videos online and nobody seems to use compressors to put back in but it’s so far from the mounts.

15E61F1F-D315-4E5D-A115-BFF2952B5037.jpeg

50F141B1-F001-4699-9B71-3419A0A7C995.jpeg

8CFB3562-88C2-43CF-A5ED-C760BAB7A278.jpeg

856CDE31-8E2C-48EE-B49B-06B0093E4504.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Notmal, lever the track control arm down with a bar. Might be worth slackening wishbone to subframe bolts, get wheels on and drop on the floor/retorque the bolts.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Granted it's been a good few years since i've done it, but it's far easier with both off the ground?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Granted it's been a good few years since i've done it, but it's far easier with both off the ground?

Oh yeah definitely much hard with one wheel on the ground, but with both off the ground you still have to push down on the lower arm a bit.

Have on all the ones i've worked on anyway.

I struggled to get one of the strut bolts through because of this so managed to put a screwdriver through then got one of the bolts through

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear!!

Is that a simple fix for a mechanic? I will need to call someone as its wayyyyy beyond me lol.

Yeah, just needs popping back in and the gearbox oil topping up with 75w80 gear oil.

I should have warned you about it before when saying about standing on the hub to lever it down to get the bolts in.... ?

The plastic wing nut is on the front of the box, if you fancy topping it up yourself.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Doesn’t the rubber boot bolted to the gearbox prevent the oil from leaking out ??

To be fair it’s all part of the fun. But I’ll get someone to do it for me so I know it’s done right as I have zero experience!

Been quoted £250 by a mobile mechanic I use for tyres for fixing that plus fitting the suspension on each side, fitting a new exhaust and fitting a Brembo conversion. Obviously with me supplying everything.

Thanks again.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Classic DIY job where you end up spending more by trying it yourself first. Did that many a time on my 172!

Though I did smile at the bit where you said "making your car original and mint" and then dropped gear oil on the floor! :p

Got under and had a proper look and it had just literally popped out. No rips or tears etc so oil has been ordered and Alex is popping by next Saturday to reattach and fill the oil back up.

Thanks again for peoples help :)