ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taken week to get used to 172 1st gear pulling away>

Is your mk2 172 the same, same applies to 182 -

Find it quite hard to pull away in 1st relatively smoothly?!

i.e do you need a fair few revs like mine? Dont get me wrong, im used to petrol manual but my new diesel van is 100 times easier to drive!

i havent stooled my 172 yet, but half the time i find it awkward to pull away without the dreaded "almost gonna stool" jerkyness!

might be something to do with the fact i have had it 2 weeks but only done 100ish miles :)

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yeah, they're not the easiest cars to drive from a transmission point of view, but you do get used to it quite quickly.

You wait till you get stuck in a traffic jam on a hill! Hope your clutch foot is in good shape :clown:

go try driving a rover 25 1.4 16v or a mg zr

then you will know what having to apply some revs to move without stalling is like.

Yup, they aren't exactly the easiest of things to get moving smoothly in 1st. If I'm crawling in traffic on a perfectly level road I can just about manage to get the clutch out without having to touch the accelerator but it's more hassle than it's worth really.
You get used to it!

Yea had the whole traffic jam on a queue the other night - reminded me of my driving test, just get about 2k rpm and you'll be ok!

thanks, glad im not alone

The Tube
Yes they're quite ferocious clutches! I can remember one of the first times the missus decided she wanted to have a drive, and immediately stalled it 3 times on the trot trying to pull onto a roundabout... She's now banned from driving it...

I know what you mean but I think it's the same for every new car you drive.

However, I have noticed that the back end of my 182 goes very early when pushing it compared to my old dynamique. I imagine it's due to the weight???

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
its taken me 3 weeks to get used to my car cup 172 , i came from a saxo vtr, driving style/position s totally different,

the most difficuilt thing was pulling way at busy junctions, major revs and wheel spins lol - smooth as silk now, brain surgen steady feet haha

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I know what you mean, but I've never had any problems, that's coming from a 1.2 RN.

Clio Mk 1
It is real easy to drive on mine, you don't need any revs if on flat and doing manouvers (if thats right). 1.9D though.
Matt

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I've never had any problems. Some people do some don't. I think it depends what cars your moved from.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I did find it quite awkward to begin with, certainly not as smooth as my old Saxo VTS. My most recent car before the 172 was a C2 VTR though which didn't have a clutch so I just assumed i'd somehow lost the feel for it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
This was one of the things that most annoyed me about my 172. You either didn't pick up quite enough revs when you moved off from the lights and it stalled, or you picked up just a few too many and you squaled the front wheel and looked like an idiot. It was annoying that you had to take some much care to get it to not make you look like a fool one way or the other that you got dragged away from the lights every time by cars that had nowhere near as much performance.

And with the A/C on on a hot day it made it worse.

I heard that getting it chipped fixed it. It didn't completely, but it certainly improved it a lot. The chip I got doesn't add a lot at the top but it adds torque right through the rev range. And that bit extra off idle made a lot of difference.

I had a Nissan previously that you didn't need first in normal circumstances, you started off in 2nd. In the Clio first gear is too tall for the amount of torque the engine has off idle. And top gear is too low. Its not just that the gearbox is made of butter and falls apart, Renault couldn't even get the ratios right.

J

JEFF4507

DCi here and I can get it moving from 1 or 2mph in 2nd without using any gas :rasp:

Sounds like 172 drivers are easy kills at the lights then.:cool: