ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking my 172 north to clioturbo, gonna try there £5k conversion

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I would go with the 3k conversion and use the other 2K on a gearbox upgrade so you can use all the power.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mazda 3 MPS for 5-7k (if you factor in selling Clio at £1-2k)? Theyre near 300bhp iirc?
Good shout - although don't they weigh a lot more than a Clio (like 1400-1500kg?)

Just so it's clear, I'm not advocating everyone spending £5k on tuning a car, although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on here have done that gradually. If I had £5k it would be going in my piggybank toward a house, but imagine how boring the internet would be if no one else went out and did crazy things to cars?

I also think a lot of people here are underestimating just how fast a 280hp Clio would be... That's not far off the power to weight of a Ferrari 360 Modena.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It's the same old argument.

Tuning vs non tuning brigade.

There's something special about picking your car up after a big project and the first drive, About it been quicker than 99% of other clios, about it surprising other drivers and just been mental on a drive. I'm sure there will be teething problems but that's part of the fun as it keeps you interested (as long as it doesn't blow up).

I'd say go for it, life's not a rehearsal. Leave the beemers for the old farts.

Was a few years ago. They were all going bang werent they? Im talking 4/5 years ago.

Or, the owner sells within 12 months after 'issues'.

* None of this is refering to the place the OP it talking about I would like to add.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A better car is really down to personal preference. I don't see a BMW as an upgrade or a better car as it doesn't tick any boxes for me.

Do what makes you happy. People are right you won't see your money back but then most hobbies are just money down the drain.

The only insane thing is to make the logical choice. When was that ever fun!

RB Clio 182
Going bang is mainly mapping issue's Imo.

I have Andy's at Clioturbo's kit two mapped by scoff and its bloody brilliant fun and very fast.

I was going to go for the kit one but my belts were due so I decided on kit 2.

For that you get megane pistons, a bigger turbo, all your belts done and 50bhp more than his low boost conversion.

Mine has had a few problems but you expect them, I wouldn't dream of selling it for anything else in the near future as it would be near on impossible finding anything anywhere near as fast or fun for the same money.

Parts are so cheap for these now does it really matter? Theres a non speedo drive box on here in good working order at the moment for £40 lol.

plus when you do come to sell these turbo clios do go for decent money.

If you have any doubts, go out for a drive in one.. RAPPIIIDDDDDSS!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Will be a nice car but think of what you have to turn down to have it.... big power is best in rwd format. I'd be getting a rx7 fd with a shagged engine or a s13 silvia and putting a 2jz in for the price of the clio and 5k turbo kit plus the extra grand or 2 you will need in diffs suspensions upgrades etc to make it work properly. Cheeky single turbo swap, bigger injectors and a ecu on a 2j and you have a reliable 600/700bhp all day long on a stock engine. Not to mention it will actually hook the lower gears with some good tyres, unlike a high hp clio.

Reactions: Chi
  RB Clio 182
But with the Clio turbo conversions, you are getting a brand new turbo, ecu, intercooler pistons and everything involved in the conversion, plus you get warranty on all parts and in my experience if anything does go wrong, Andy has brilliant aftercare and usually sorts everything for free/minimal cost.

Will be a nice car but think of what you have to turn down to have it.... big power is best in rwd format. I'd be getting a rx7 fd with a shagged engine or a s13 silvia and putting a 2jz in for the price of the clio and 5k turbo kit plus the extra grand or 2 you will need in diffs suspensions upgrades etc to make it work properly. Cheeky single turbo swap, bigger injectors and a ecu on a 2j and you have a reliable 600/700bhp all day long on a stock engine. Not to mention it will actually hook the lower gears with some good tyres, unlike a high hp clio.

All those big bhp cars, done by a little Turbo Clio...

Trophy btw has 438's etc

Trophy btw has 438's etc

Rapid!

Iirc you said previously it's around 400bhp? If you paid for that sort of package, dare I ask as to cost?

Easier for you obviously as labour is free :smile: (though iirc isn't this the grey one? - possibly Silent_Scones old one, failing to remember!!). I imagine it'd be a pretty eye watering price :)

I
Rapid!

Iirc you said previously it's around 400bhp? If you paid for that sort of package, dare I ask as to cost?

Easier for you obviously as labour is free :smile: (though iirc isn't this the grey one? - possibly Silent_Scones old one, failing to remember!!). I imagine it'd be a pretty eye watering price :smile:
haven't added it up tbh, but, off the top of my head the rough costings are
Gt3071r turbo £1100
Manifold £300
Down pipe £200
Pipe work £300
Forged rods £400
Fuel system £600
Base spec 20vt with box £800
Shafts £400
LSD £700

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
There is some lolworthy stuff in here.

A boosted clio is nothing like either a BMW 3 series in standard form, nor an audi or any other germanic barge. I own both currently, so I think i'm in a reasonable position to comment.

The question you should be asking, is for £6.5k can you buy something as quick or as much fun as a boosted clio. I genuinely believe you can't. Potentially a boosted MX5, but again the 'why spend £5k on a £1.5k car' question stands.

The simple answer is because a boosted clio is incredible fun and offers excellent value for money in terms of performance to cost. Anyone who says otherwise have never been in or driven a boosted clio. It is that simple. The power to weight ratio is the same as an Audi R8 4.2, Lexus IS-F and Porsche 997 C2S. These are £25k to £50k cars secondhand.

Having said that, I'd spend my £5k on a diff, decent suspension, brakes, tyres and other bits and bobs and have some change first. But, that's because mine is more of a track car than road car.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
There is definitely something special about the first few drives of a 'project' or tuned project car.
I get so giddy about it (when they're ready to roll) that I end up making excuses to leave work early.
One day I'd love for someone else to do the work though - I recall a chap called Wayne, collecting his saxo for the first time after Atspeed had it. The video, is on youtube I'm sure. I'd be like that, in fact, I am like that even when I've done the work.

106GTI / NovaC20LET

Trophy btw has 438's etc

Guess it comes down to personal preference and that's what so good about cars, everyone likes there own thing. That been said I know for about the same price I'd take a 2jz fd over a boosted clio any day of the week. I would much rather work with a rwd platform and what is highly regarded as one of if not the best and most tuneable production engines of all time. People throw 900/1000bhp and these engines on completely stock components(obviously not for prolonged periods). Build the engine and the sky really is the limit.

Having said that I have a 350bhp nova turbo so maybe I just don't have a use for a boosted clio lol.

AD08's. Utter f**king tripe.
I wont be queuing to buy AD08 that for sure although heard the AD08R better.
Back to OP question - its your cash go for it. Make sure everything sorted first - LSD, suspension, brakes as the extra 100bhp is going to highlight any weaknesses quickly

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Guess it comes down to personal preference and that's what so good about cars, everyone likes there own thing. That been said I know for about the same price I'd take a 2jz fd over a boosted clio any day of the week. I would much rather work with a rwd platform and what is highly regarded as one of if not the best and most tuneable production engines of all time. People throw 900/1000bhp and these engines on completely stock components(obviously not for prolonged periods). Build the engine and the sky really is the limit.

Having said that I have a 350bhp nova turbo so maybe I just don't have a use for a boosted clio lol.

Agreed, 2jz is epic BUT you're talking absolute rubbish when comparing costs I'm afraid mate. 'for about the same price I'd take a 2jz fd over a boosted clio any day of the week'

I don't know what a tidy FD is (complete minus the engine) but I'm guessing they must go for £3k+ ?
Then the 2JZ, well if you go with the GTE lump (the charged one with stronger internals) they're circa £2.5-3k
Then gearbox choice, you've not got many options, for a manual that holds big power you're limited to the V160/V161 so £4k for a complete kit.
Then single turbo, ecu, injectors, wastegates, lines and plumbing, intercooler etc. £5k+
Fabrication work, guessing the OP can't do this hence paying for a conversion, I don't know on this one but £2k ?
Suspension, the 13b engine is a LOT lighter than the 2jzgte A LOT!! Presuming you can get something suitable off the shelf £1k?
Brakes, same as above, you're trying to slow down a much heavier car with a lot more power £1k

So we're at £18.5k +

Oh and the RX7's, famous for their handling and weight distribution...yeah you ruined that lot.

For £5.5k I can think of nothing I'd rather own than a boosted Clio, no doubt great fun and very fast across any form of B road

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Unless you absolutely love your Clio I'd look to buy an already built car, a big chunk of the conversion is labour and you'll avoid this.
Other cars are available but the grin factor in a Clio is epic. I have just picked up an m3 for my Mrs but she doesn't want to give up her MPS (also heavily modified) at the end of the day it's personal preference, I have a few and like them all for different reasons.
If your local I'll take you out in a few when I'm allowed to drive again.

Combe has had new tarmac recently and it will squeal a lot more than 'old' tarmac.
I did a track day there on Monday and it was very loud with my R888s.

I think the general consensus of not going big power but instead spending the money on handling mods are bang on the money. A FF Clio weighs in at less than 1100kgs and my clioturbo low boost 182 goes like the clappers running 227BHP. Power to weight is similar to a stock Focus RS. You can go all out on power and have 300BHP+ but it will be very tricky to put down without some mechanical assistance!

The JC5 becomes a very short and unreliable gearbox once you introduce boost too, so then you are looking into CT's transmission conversion aswell! I run out of gears at 146MPH in mine but the engine wants to keep going!

Personally if I had circa £5k to throw at boosting my Clio I'd be looking at 280-300BHP, VAG O2M conversion and possibly a LSD to help with traction, as @George182 has done. Power is nothing without control!

RB Clio 182
What gearbox did chip have in his ph1 turbo? I'm sure his gearbox did 172mph iirc, ill try find his post.

Everyone will have there opinions for and against having a 1-3k Clio turbo'd, best thing is to think long term if your not planning on keeping it then don't do it but if you are then it's very much worth it :)

I'm running 320bhp without a diff and with standard box, it puts the power down much better then everyone says but yes a diff will improve that, and handling characteristics will be much the same I'm sure your not daft enough to put your foot flat to the floor mid corner 😂 10-15% throttle gets you moving enough. It is very fast and will exceed your expectations, the jump from 271bhp to 320bhp made me smile lots!! currently I have just done over 10k with the engine forged and turbo'd, brake wear is the same if your not stomping on them, and fuel usage is around 25mpg town, motor way 30-40mpg just depends how you drive, I like boost so 20mpg+ is fine for me.

Andy@clioturbo will do a sterling job and worth the trip without a doubt.
Mapping by Chris@EFi is the best and maps it to be safer for the gearbox.

there's no real worries that I have come across, my insurance went down :up:

clio 182
I'm going to Andy for kit 2 but about 250hp with a audi box and bigger drive shafts with so should be strong with forged pistons and bottem end done as well,

RB Clio 182
I'm going to Andy for kit 2 but about 250hp with a audi box and bigger drive shafts with so should be strong with forged pistons and bottem end done as well,
Are you finding it difficult to contact him recently mate? I'm wanting a few jobs doing but I'm not getting any replies.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
People are moaning about spending 5k on a Clio, mine destroyed an Audi RS3 yesterday. Its an absolute bargain for the speed vs fun factor. However yes you will need to budget for supporting mods but forget low boost, Forged is the only way. :tonguewink: