ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Team Fortress 2 - what's happened to it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Having been away from it for quite some time, I decided to give it another go. The OTT action and cartoon approach to the graphics were a great alternative to the more mainstream FPSs, imo.

But something's changed. Aside from all the equipable items (did we really need them in the first place?) - the balance seems to have shifted somewhat on the class types. The heavy & medic ubercharge combo - which I never really thought was balanced to begin with - now appears to be the class of choice.

I've just had three seperate games one after the other - and each time the heavy and the medic came first and second. Get within an spitting distance of the heavy, and you're mashed with lead. Of course, hitting him makes little difference because the medic just heals him straight away. So the opposing team has little option other than to grenade and rocket spam their incoming paths on the off-chance of scoring a lucky critical hit.

Hmmm. I used to really like TF2. But now it makes any COD game appear to be a long, drawn-out and strategic military sim in comparison. The spawn/kill ratios are just crazy....

Arse. :(

D.

Giulietta 940
I'm with you there. TF2 when first brought out was immense, it was a light hearted approach to normal FPSs, and a welcome break from playing COD/CSS constantly.

Back when I first started out, nearly everyone was either a Pyro or an Engineer. There were very few Medics and Heavies, mainly because no one had the patience. I haven't played it in a while, mainly because Valve have ruined it. Aside from the "OMG GET A NEW FREE HAT/BASEBALL BAT/SHOES/PULSE GUN WHEN U BUY XYZ", I hear they've added a new weapons system which kind of defeats the object of different classes.

I also feel that TF2 is a lot more KPD orientated than most FPSs, and no one really seems willing to do any objectives. When I used to play Capture the Intelligence, it was very rare that anyone would actually attempt to do enter the other base. It was usually a case of setting up a million sentry guns at choke points.

The funny thing was, I was planning to have a TF2 session this weekend, but when I heard about all the new changes it really put me off. So I've decided to play BLOPs instead. At least I know where I am with COD.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Valve keep changing it that is the problem. It was one of the most balanced fun to be had online games in the business..I stopped playing it for awhile and went back to it to find the new upgrade/class system a bit intimidating at first.. it didn't need it. Change for the sake of change

Giulietta 940
The thing is, they said they would do the same for L4D, i.e. add new modes, new campaigns, scenarios etc... then they brought out L4D2 ($$$). Valve make incredibly good games, but when it comes to maintaining them (fixing bugs/exploits, providing new content) they're abysmal.

I don't think anything they've added to TF2 has really added to the gameplay, and if anything it just makes it more complicated. Now instead of joining a server choosing a class, then stabbing people in the back with my trusty flick knife, I have to spend 23984293 minutes figuring out wtf I'm meant to be doing. And the fact of the matter is, only a small percentage of Steam users play TF2! Why constantly update a game that not many people play? Put the effort into creating CSS2, HL3 or something!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Glad I'm not the only one by the sounds of it. As Silent says, it appears to be change for the sake of change, rather than adding anything constuctive. Also, the paradox that Malachi mentioned too. I'm sure 99% of players would prefer Valve's energies to be poured into decent sequels rather than pumping time and expense into a 'fairly' popular FPS game.

D.

yeah it's a bit OTT now, and i find it extremely funny how expensive the items in the store are, it's ridiculous they'd put them so high - greedy fcukers

anyway for a bit more of a relaxed gametype, google PropHunt or look for a server running it, it's incredibly fun and more chilled out than TF2! :)

edit: if you want someone else to play with add ":: Morph ::" to steam (without the ")

Giulietta 940
Anyone remember Half-Life Deathmatch? A Source version would be nice :) Or just as I've mentioned countless times before, more co-op games! Hopefully HL3/HL2EP3 will have a co-op element to it. They are capable of producing them, just look at L4D and Alien Swarm.

@ Addicted, is it like the dynamic weapon pricing business they had in CSS? I've not actually seen the new system in TF2, so I can't really comment yet.

What games do you play? I'll try and add you tonight.

Edit: Btw, best Source mod I've played is Sourceforts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForts). Its capture the flag with HL2 weapons, but there are two phases, build and then play. During the build phase you spawn lots of different blocks to build your own base, and protect your flag, its amazing.

Last edited:
there is a half-life 2:death-match aka the source engine :)

PropHunt is basically a selection of new custom maps where one team (red) spawns as items around the maps such as Buckets, Signposts, Tyres etc and it's the other team's job to find you all & kill you!
Hilariously good fun, and again, chilled out :) got a few mates on teamspeak and when we play there's no end of laughter!

I play all sorts of stuff, Starcraft 2, TF2, CSS!

I've just pre-ordered natural selection 2 as the first was epic, so will wait and see if that get's out soon!

Giulietta 940
there is a half-life 2:death-match aka the source engine :)

PropHunt is basically a selection of new custom maps where one team (red) spawns as items around the maps such as Buckets, Signposts, Tyres etc and it's the other team's job to find you all & kill you!
Hilariously good fun, and again, chilled out :) got a few mates on teamspeak and when we play there's no end of laughter!

I play all sorts of stuff, Starcraft 2, TF2, CSS!

I've just pre-ordered natural selection 2 as the first was epic, so will wait and see if that get's out soon!

I know, but HLDM was the tits. PropHunt? Sounds a lot like a mod for CSS I used to play a couple of years ago. It was great fun on maps like cs_office, and hilarious watching keyboards and barrels running away from the pursuing CTs.

I've joined the CSnet group on Steam, but everyone seems to play SP games. Maybe we should have a proper gaming session on BFBC2/BLOPS/TF2 sometime.

Edit: Re HLDM/HL2DM I think I miss the maps more than anything, and the stupid characters.

Giulietta 940
I'm still waiting to get my b*****d Steam account back!

I'm surprised its taking so long. My friend got his Steam account hijacked once, but once they saw the registered email address and checked IPs and what not, he got it back in a couple of days.

Maybe just get another account anyway? I have two or three I think. I'm selfish, I give free gifts to myself.

Edit: Plus I have no friends.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised its taking so long. My friend got his Steam account hijacked once, but once they saw the registered email address and checked IPs and what not, he got it back in a couple of days.

Maybe just get another account anyway? I have two or three I think. I'm selfish, I give free gifts to myself.

FLOL!

D.

Giulietta 940
I'm actually building a second account full of games for my second PC, which in time I will give to my girlfriend. She's pretty handy with a desert eagle in CSS :rasp:

F82 M4

Hopefully get it back tonight. I e-mailed them about it all on Friday.

I think the company is based in Washington state on the West coast so 7/8 hours behind us aswell.

Giulietta 940
I'd be pretty pissed if someone nicked my account. There is an online tool (can't remember the site now) that tells you how much your account is worth. I think mine had £500+ of games on it. Obviously 90% of them were bought in the sale :p

Giulietta 940
Sweet. I've been playing a lot of FM10 recently, it certainly passes the time.

I hope Valve/Steam can sort it out, would be a bummer if you lost it. Is it a 5/6/7 digit?

F82 M4
IIRC mate that account is a 6 dig, registered in 2004. I had a 4 dig originally registered in 2003 but I sold it for £80. Had another low dig account aswell but got that VAC banned :eek:

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC mate that account is a 6 dig, registered in 2004. I had a 4 dig originally registered in 2003 but I sold it for £80. Had another low dig account aswell but got that VAC banned :eek:

VAC banned? What did you do to get that? Gary Glitter would get less of a sentence being a locker-room assistant at his local primary school....

D.

Giulietta 940
Aimbot, blates.

So let me guess, you had one "clean" account, then another to hack on? As an avid gamer, nothing annoys me more (in the context of gaming) than a hacker :dapprove:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Aimbot, blates.

So let me guess, you had one "clean" account, then another to hack on? As an avid gamer, nothing annoys me more (in the context of gaming) than a hacker :dapprove:

Tell me about it. Just last night, I was on a 8 vs 8 BC2 game. We were doing well as the defenders - holding off the attacking Russians. No fecking wonder as within a few minutes, three of my side were booted off for using an aimbot and then about 30secs later - another one was kicked/banned. So in an instant, we were half a team and started to get trounced. No fun for all involved.... :(

D.

Giulietta 940
The horrible thing is, more people hack than you realise. The other day two CSS players in one of the top ranked clans got VAC banned - no one had a clue, and obviously they had been to LANs etc..

I've never understood why people hack, I see no enjoyment or pleasure from it. I suppose like anything, some people can't be bothered to put in the effort to get good at something, and instead look for a quick solution.

Having said that, the "ROBIN HOOD" cheat in AOE2 was pretty handy :p

F82 M4
Whoaa whooaa boys! Don't jump the gun! I used a simple wallhack for a CS movie, was bloody ages ago. Ended up VAC banning myself. I'm a respectable gamer with theSGL, I hate cheats just as much as the next guy. The movie was f**king awesome though. And why would it be "Aimbot blates?" I don't need that s**t, I played prem for about 3 seasons! ;)

Giulietta 940
Its the most common one I've seen.

Why use a wallhack for a CS movie? You can use mat_wireframe under sv_cheats (demo mode/private server), and then do it that way. I've had to use it a lot when banning countless people.

Out of interest, what clan in the SGL? One of my clan (not serious, just pub heroes now) mates plays for Reason Gaming.

F82 M4
Its the most common one I've seen.

Why use a wallhack for a CS movie? You can use mat_wireframe under sv_cheats (demo mode/private server), and then do it that way. I've had to use it a lot when banning countless people.

Out of interest, what clan in the SGL? One of my clan (not serious, just pub heroes now) mates plays for Reason Gaming.

Used a proper wallhack for effects, I'm talking about 1.6, not source btw. Ninteh does it alot, he's an awesome movie maker, check out his "fr3t" movies, alot are made using hacks. I gave it a go, it looked awesome, went on a server before taking it off and got banned, only myself to blame. I played for cloud9 years ago, had a small spell with cLip aswell. I haven't played a game of CS for about 2 years now, might get back into it! You got 1.6? I do have Source, just don't like it though!

F82 M4
Well I've just got my Steam account back. Turns out the lad bought it off somebody else. Buying stolen goods tut tut! Kind of feel sorry for him, he's bought a couple of games aswell, including Left 4 Dead 2. Nevermind eh, I'm sure he'll get over it soon :dapprove:

F82 M4
Add me on Steam - wilky71157

I've got no friends anymore! Had 100 odd last time :dapprove:

Darren - I've got L4D2 now if you fancy a bash sometime. Ventrillo or TS?

play 6v6 and you won't see any heavies

on a 33 player pub server obviously everyone will just go heavy with pocket medic. i still love the game tho, glad valve add stuff it keeps it interesting

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lolz.... ;)

Wilky.jpg

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Why would it say that? I've added you anyway mate. I was good at L4D 1, will probs have to let me get used to 2!

Added you m8. There's no rush though. I tried running L4D2 last night and the latest update has corrupted it :( Looks like I'll have to do a complete reload of it.......

edit - just retried it and it works again now. :)

D.

Last edited:
  F82 M4
Added you m8. There's no rush though. I tried running L4D2 last night and the latest update has corrupted it :( Looks like I'll have to do a complete reload of it.......

edit - just retried it and it works again now. :)

D.

Yea I had the same error mate. About the incomplete installation (42) ? Pretty much everyone got it from the update when using Windows 7/Vista. It's all been rectified now.

Giulietta 940
Added you on the weekend, Wilky. I'll add you and Darren on my other account too, I usually split my time between both.

I still need to join Darren in some BFBC2ing!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Added you on the weekend, Wilky. I'll add you and Darren on my other account too, I usually split my time between both.

I still need to join Darren in some BFBC2ing!

Aye - definitely! mine's not through Steam though - I bought the retail version, so you would have to manually look to see if I'm online. Managed to crack rank 35 yesterday, though the attached is a little behind with rank 34.

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/unzen

Had a field day winding up a player on the opposing team who stole our T-90 tank (personally, I see nothing wrong with that) but who then proceded to spawn rape with it. My opening message was "I normally have a lot of respect for Rank 50 players. But not in this case." Naturally he took the bait and despite his bickering, he couldn't provide an answer to his actions that didn't point to spawn-raping. When you've a tank perched on a hillside, with two engineers constantly repairing it and you're about 50ft from the other teams' spawn point - that is clearly spawn-raping. He got me at least three times - the usual one-two step and then get killed process. Thankfully the game respawned me at one point a little distance away as recon and I just rained in the mortar strike - killing one of his engineers and damaging the tank sufficiently that a few RPGs from the other guys took care of it. Prized prick. He even had the balls to say that the person to blame for his spawn-raping was the guy on our team that he nabbed the tank off. Erm, ok. :S

D.

Giulietta 940
Spawn killing is something that got me with BFBC2. Its a bit different when you have a solitary sniper sat in a roof of a building pickin you off, but as you say, when you have a tank constantly being repaired just shooting the s**t out of you, well...

I'll have to look at your stats later on. I'm at work at the moment, and anything with "gaming" in it, and the web filter goes bat s**t. Oh, and are those stats for all players? Or is it just for a certain server?