ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drive in Demo 197 this afternoon...

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Going for a test drive in a 197 dealer demo

It has all options fitted except xenons - auto wipers & lights, rear tints, 6 cd in dash, sound system, cruise control etc

Expecting to be offered for sale for £13.5K with 50 miles on the clock in Ultra red.

Deal or no deal?

RS Clio 200
dont decide without giving it a proper uber daddy thrash and cornering test. ive heard they corner too easily that it can be boring to drive

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
I hear the electronically assisted steering rack feels very light and almost corners itself?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i say go and drive one and see what you think. everyone likes different things.

the price is good for the best hot hatch money can buy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
a lot of money for no gain over an 8k 182...

i've driven three now, all have left me feeling glad to be getting back into my creaky old tin!

Leon Cupra R 225
I've just been to a local Reno dealer. There was a 182 in liquid yellow, 05 plate up for 10k and a black 197 for 16k new (I know they're overpriced at this place) and I have to say the 197 pisses all over the 182 I was thinking of getting a 182 but the 197 is better built, more comfortable, feels more grown up.

I didn't have a drive but the 197 would be the choice for me no doubt.

Leon Cupra R 225
^^that's the area that it falls down for me

I guess so for alot of people but I couldn't justify spending near 10k on a 182 when the 172 cup is faster and much cheaper if your after thrills and don't mind a few rattles..

The 197 is just a much better modern car. The salesman was like "I think Renault are going to do a turbo version of the 197"

I fooking hope so!

MKIII 138
197 is more grown up and chunky cant be a bad thing really. you dont buy a cliosport for straight line (although there not bad) its all about the corners.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm the same with Christopher, i drove one 2 weeks ago did'nt feel as quick as mine nice toys on the car though, but i was pleased to be with my pink baby again

A 197 is fantastic and brilliant.

Then you drive a 182 and realise why so many lament it. I still like it though.

But It don't feel like it even has half the fizz of a mk2 renaultsport

MINI JCW
Big fan of the 197, looks brilliant, drives brilliant and overall is far superior to the 182.

The two reasons why I didnt buy one are it isnt quite as quick (and it doesnt feel anywhere near as quick) and the price.

I read in Autocar that there is a chance that the 225 engine maybe used in the 197 later on in its life, i guess we will watch this space..

If this happens I will def buy one and I think many on here will as well

The 197 is just a much better modern car. The salesman was like "I think Renault are going to do a turbo version of the 197"

I fooking hope so!
Nope not going to happen unless it has some real trouble even if they didn't wouldn't be huge turbo as not to hurt Megan sales.

MINI JCW

I fooking hope so!
Nope not going to happen unless it has some real trouble even if they didn't wouldn't be huge turbo as not to hurt Megan sales.

i guess they may do it after the current megane as been discontinued, as the new megane probably will have 270bhp or so. Lets hope so

200 Ultra Red
Had a 197 pull onto the A19 behind me today on my way to work, wanted to get a good look at it cos I've never really seen one on the road. In the rear view mirror it was nothing menacing, thought it would have had a bit more road presence. Pulled across and let him go by, nothing that impressive from the rear either.

IMO, if your going to try and improve a car like the 182, improve it in all areas, especially power and handling, as surely these two areas are the main appeal to buying a renaultsport.

Think I'll stick with my 182 till I save up enough cash to buy my dads 350z! :)

clio 182
at the reno main dealer by me theres a truly mental welsh fella who must b at least 50 years old who is a sales man there!when i bought my 182 and my cousin bought his 225 cup megane he came over to us and started chatting.aftr 5 minutes chatting to this guy u soon realised he has renosport blood runnin through his veins.he has owned 13 rs clios off all types including a few trophies plus some megane 225's in between.his favourite still remains the clio trophy he tells us,the ultimate drivers car he comments.his opinion was that the 197 was a little bit overweight amd that the steering was vague but the cup edition thats gonna b avaible,of what he has one on order should be the right car to own.he also said that he had recieved a news letter saying that a clio turbo was being developed as reno had realised that they could safely get well over 200bhp into a clio and still produce a good car with the 197 chassis as a base.will be fun if it ever comes into production im sure!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

i guess they may do it after the current megane as been discontinued, as the new megane probably will have 270bhp or so. Lets hope so

^^^^ - it's quite a sticky situation that Reno has got itself, imo. Speaking from a purely personal view, the 'successor' to the 182 just isn't that at the moment. I could see the transition from Ph.1 172, then Ph.2, through to the 182 until ultimately, the 182 Trophy. But I'm just left cold with the 197.

The 197 appears to be 'filler car' that they need to complete the range with. And by adding the additional power, are hoping that it will maintain the same appeal as the previous generation models.

I don't think that is quite happening, some how. It may explain the healthy 2nd prices in the 182 market and the dubious scenario where Megane R26's can be acquired for sub-£2k more than the 197 screen price. Between those two, there simply is no comparison.

If Reno did release a Clio Turbo, then where on earth would they price it at? It would have to be more than a 197 but cheaper than a Meggy R26. There's not a lot of room to play about with in terms of price and even then, it would have to be a phenomenal car for me to consider one. Not to mention they would have to do something with the way it looks.

Put bluntly, I wouldn't like the headache that RenaultSport's marketing department would have - assuming the Clio Turbo got the go ahead.

D.

clio 182
when you look into the pricing off the renosport cars there isnt much between them as darren says.when i went into a renault dealer in birmingham they had a brand new 225 cup in black in the showroom that had got a few extras thrown at it.parked next to it was a clio 197 in red that was bog standard,no luxuries at all,and the megane was, "wait for it!"a whopping £700 more.what would you buy??would be a close call wouldnt it!!.

he had recieved a news letter saying that a clio turbo was being developed as reno had realised that they could safely get well over 200bhp into a clio and still produce a good car with the 197 chassis as a base.will be fun if it ever comes into production im sure!
Nope no need for a turbo only tubro it would ever get is a low pressure one for a GT type car.