ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the 16v kent cams r fitted.....

after coughing up 215quid for kent cam regrinds and lube(kent sports injection cams) for the 16v, and spedning all afternoon fitting them, ive gota say im unsure as to what to think. contrary to what others have said, the idle with these cams installed is complety fine, runs jsut a smooth as b4. bottom end torque has decreased a little bit, bit nothin really noticable. as for the infamous "on-cam" 4.5k rev zone of the 1.8 16v, this has now vanished!!!!!! there isnt a kick in the back anymore, the engien jsut accelerates faster to the redline. also whereas b4 with the valver it would produce power upto 6k or a little more, b4 tailing off, now the engine dusnt make peak power til the limiter, by the way the car accelerates. in a way im pleased with the change, but i was also hoping for more of a slam once u reach the magic zone of 4k revs. also bearign in mind, this is on standard renault pulleys, and in an unchipped car. can vernier pulleys release decent sums of power, or is jsut myth? i think itl need chipping, cus the standard maps wont be much good for stage 2 mods. just broke now tho!

jimbo

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Hmmm, i was told that verniers are not essential but possibly modifying the standard ones a little would help. He mentioned id need new springs, lifters etc too. How did u set the timing up etc? I take it you know what u are doing mate, i wouldnt be able to fit em myself, no way.

I think a chip would make a difference mate, although im sure youll, get a better answer than this.

Cheers

Craig :)

Skoda Fabia vRS

you will definitely notice the diff with a chip mate, get on the phone to Nick at Hill Power and he will sort you a suitably mapped one out

u will need a chip cams on their own are useless as ecu wont compensate enough for the installation of the new cams

wongy

I was just about to post the same as Wongy, must remember to read all the other posts before posting myself..!!!

No good fitting cams if you dont have the fueling to match. You probably have less power than before.

rito, i understand what ur saying, but wouldnt a chip only be effective at full throttle? cus wen the engine isnt running WOT, fuelling is relied on the lambda and other associated sensors, so the fuelling should be fine durign nomrla driving? only a finer tuned based map for WOT? or am i missing sumthin big here?lol

any1 seen any power increases from fitting vernier pulleys at all? cus they cost 150quid, and ifi could get away without buying them then i will

wheres the best palce to go for a chip for the following mods;

gasflowed cylinder head

kent fast road cams

blitz shieled induction kit(with sealed air pipe from front bumper)

scorpian stianless exhaust

hp, k-tec, bb???

cheers ppl

jimbo

Altering the fueling (chip) will affect fueling all through the rev range and not just WOT. The ECU also received info from the MAF sensor to help it decide how much fuel it needs.

Skoda Fabia vRS

go to Hill Power for your chip, its only £150 and once you have spoke to Nick you will know that he knows what he is talkin about, he knows bloody everythin !

i dont know anyone who hasnt been satisfied with one of his chips, ive got one on my RT and definitely noticed the difference, my m8 paul had one on his RT and when he got his 16v he had it done on that aswell

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

well my stage 2 is with piper 270 cams i think, with a Hill Power stage 2 chip, its a lot more torquey, especially after 4.5k but even a bit lower down too. I think the vernier pulleys are for easy adjustment, i think you need to remove some pin or something (technical term) from the original items to get the same effect. Mine feels like a different car.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Coolspot do u just have cams or head too? Im supposed to be getting mine done over the next couple of weeks starting from tomorrow. Managed to get hold of a complete working head too.

FRST and 106 GTi

vernier pulleys are needed when you want to fine tune the cams timing. You can advance or r****d the inlet and/or exhaust cam. This kind of setting when done for the first time (if never saw resultes from no one) should be done by qualified people on a roalling road.

F7 engines dont use MAF. they use instead the POD sensor on the butterfly inlet of the plenum.

whatever you do, after all has been done, get a custom injection/ignition map done on your ecu. For what I read, Nick Hill at HillPower can do this very well.

When you look for power you cant look at fuel consumption. Sometimes thou, you can have a remap that would "be ok" for everyday driving and circuit trackdays.

POD sensor on the butterfly inlet of the plenum.

erm? what? what sensor? on intake maniflod/tbody theres throttle position, absolute air pressure, air temp and anything more?

yes verniers are deffinatley needed get a chip and you will be very happy just done all this work meself. i can supply all kent cams stuff at reasonable prices if you need any help email me bondy.

BMW 320d Sport

AFAIK the F7 engine calculates fuel requirements by engine speed and manifold pressure (using the MAP sensor). Thats it, nothing more complicated than that. As others have already said Jimbo, you need a chip - the standard fuelling and timing will not release the power of the cams, they are a compromise so that even though low down you will lose torque, up the top in the power band you will gain it through being able to burn a bigger charge. But if your ECU is not commanding greater fuelling and getting the ignition timing spot on for the cams, you wont see any power youre expecting.

the engine aslso uses the other fuel injection sensors to determine fuel deleivery, msot notably lambda sensor, as this detemrines whether the engine runs rich or lean, and either adds fuel or removes it. lambda then runs open circuit wen throttle is floored as the engien runs on bass maps does it not?

bondy, how much can u get vernier pulleys for matey? and wat settings should they be set to for max power, bearign mind my idle isnt lumpy even at standard timing?

having put another 100 or so miles under the valvers belt with these cams in, ive actually gotten sued to the way it drives. at low speeds, the torque is a little less, but get past 5k revs, and the thign shifts. can any1 recommend a chip then? hill power, k-tec, or bb. do hill power do a chip for kent cams, as they only use piper from wat ive heard?

cheers

setting cams a bit forward will result in better low end with loss in top... retarding will result in opposite- you lose low end...

verniers are quite useful - for instance you can try to make two setups on RR - one for daily driving - with some more low end, and for races or somethnig other cam setting - with loads of top end. some piggybacks support use of two maps - so you can have individually set up fueling/ignition map for both settings, exploiting your engine to its limits :)

FRST and 106 GTi

Valver ppl...

what cams do you have (or had) and what was achived? power band (rpm).

this will help a lot clearing our minds about cams for valvers. :)