ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 197 - a waste of time?

E36 323i coupe
"Acceleration from standstill to 62 mph requires a mere 6.9 seconds, while the kilometre standing start is covered in just 27.5 seconds. Top speed is 134 mph. With a combined cycle fuel consumption of 31.7 mpg (209g of CO2/km), New Clio Renaultsport's fuel consumption is amongst the lowest of the hot hatch segment..." http://www.worldcarfans.com

£15,995 OTR but without all the extras available standard on a 172/182...

Performance which is not as good as a standard 172 Cup...

Poor effort Renault. Am disappointed.

As many know, I used to own a 172 Cup, and in spite of all the problems, and niggly faults, and crap dealer service, I would have one again. I loved that car, and it was lack of job/money that forced me to sell. But not this new 197... so that's 25bhp extra... but where's it gone? and what's it doing?

Give me a Cup again any day!

tiTTy & SV650
on paper its not impressive but might surprise u with immense handling and driveability.

looks crap IMO though

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
IMO straightline stats only tell half the story...from what Mr Townsend was saying...it's pretty sharp dynamically on-track.

I'm really looking forwards to giving one death at Brands in August...back to back with my Cup...should be quite interesting.

E36 323i coupe
I have never driven a car before or since that handled better than my Cup... re the 197, if I'd wanted a 206 GTi, I'd have bought one. Think I'll stick with my 162,000 mile, ten year old BMW after all.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Jon1978 said:
"Acceleration from standstill to 62 mph requires a mere 6.9 second

I always take these book fingures with a slight pinch of salt, I know that the book time for a mk1 172 was not what it actually did it in :)

106 GTi
Reserving all judgements till it's driven, seen in the flesh ,and we see what they are selling for in the real world. Though I will most proabaly be sticking with what I have.

182BG
i won't be buying one. but i would like to see what it actually can do.

Though i have just realised that there will be another car out for everyone to argue about, which is faster, mk1, mk2 or mk3! :) god help us all, lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
that new mazda is the only brand new car id buy myslef. if i bought another clio it would be a trophy

Octavia VRS
I'm waiting on seeing it in the flesh and driving it. Looks are growing on me. Tempted by a Meggy 225 tho

The Trophy was almost universally bashed on here when it was announced (mainly because it wasn't more powerful), and now look at it. My point is, its purely conjecture at the moment, until its out there and been tested there is no point in just slating manufacturers performance figures.

Even if it is slower, its only tenths of a second we are talking about so real world performance isn't likely to suffer, and in any case the Renaultsport Clio's are all about handling, if they nail that they are onto a winner. Look at the Astra VXR for example, headline grabbing performance figures which people went mad over, but in the real world its barely stayed ahead of Cup/Trophy etc in the tests I've read.

So, waste of time? Well Renaultsport have hardly put a foot wrong, and when they have gone off the boil a bit (orginal Megane 225) they've quickly corrected it and turned it into a very formidable machine. I can't see any reason why the 197 can't be successful.

The Tube
I sat in a 197 at the Geneva motor show, and I was well impressed, ok I didn't drive it. but the seating position and the how solid it felt sold it to me...

Pikey Truck
ukaskew said:
The Trophy was almost universally bashed on here when it was announced (mainly because it wasn't more powerful), and now look at it. My point is, its purely conjecture at the moment, until its out there and been tested there is no point in just slating manufacturers performance figures.

Even if it is slower, its only tenths of a second we are talking about so real world performance isn't likely to suffer, and in any case the Renaultsport Clio's are all about handling, if they nail that they are onto a winner. Look at the Astra VXR for example, headline grabbing performance figures which people went mad over, but in the real world its barely stayed ahead of Cup/Trophy etc in the tests I've read.

So, waste of time? Well Renaultsport have hardly put a foot wrong, and when they have gone off the boil a bit (orginal Megane 225) they've quickly corrected it and turned it into a very formidable machine. I can't see any reason why the 197 can't be successful.

I agree totally...!

Jeremy Townsend said:
Come along to one of the Renaultsport track days, drive it and then make up your mind !
Will it be availiable for test drive if your not booked on? As I've now sold my Williams I cannot attend (unless you know somewhere I can hire a 182/17/Williams for a day).

edde said:
Will it be availiable for test drive if your not booked on? As I've now sold my Williams I cannot attend (unless you know somewhere I can hire a 182/17/Williams for a day).

Sorry edde, it'll be just for the drivers on the trackday. Dealer demos should arrive end of June/early July to try there

Jeremy Townsend said:
Sorry edde, it'll be just for the drivers on the trackday. Dealer demos should arrive end of June/early July to try there
I'll have to see if I can borrow the car for a test drive for a day then.

The only other idea is does the person who's paid for the track time the only person entitled to drive the test cars or if I sign on as a second driver can I have the time?

edde said:
I'll have to see if I can borrow the car for a test drive for a day then.

The only other idea is does the person who's paid for the track time the only person entitled to drive the test cars or if I sign on as a second driver can I have the time?

It's the driver that has the drive of one of our cars. We would try with the additional drivers if there's enough time.

106 GTi
MarkCup said:
Can you have a word with the instructors this time Jeremy...get them to let me turn the ESP off this time ;)

Really after the stories I have read on here and heard from other owners of ESP eqiupped cars, thought this would be wise on track.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
FredYozzasport said:
i'm buying one

Really?

31.7mpg? So you know it will be nearer 27-28 of normal driving.

Whats the 182 supposed to be? 35? I'm getting around 30 at the minute.

Shhh
Ill have a drive, but tbh i think im happy with the 182 now most problems are fixed..

oh no, there not..going back in for bumper washer jets to be replaced, and a new centre section on warranty claims. Thats 16 items changed already, inc alternator and battery etc..

Sure i must have about £2000 in warranty parts..

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
For all the ST lovers - my mate gets 18mpg from his and he's had it 5 months.

I think fuel has got to be a consideration these days.

R

rich[182]

Rich said:
Reserving all judgements till it's driven, seen in the flesh ,and we see what they are selling for in the real world. Though I will most proabaly be sticking with what I have.

^ absolutely spot on, couldn't agree more

AliasOmega said:
oh no, there not..going back in for bumper washer jets to be replaced, and a new centre section on warranty claims. Thats 16 items changed already, inc alternator and battery etc..

Sure i must have about £2000 in warranty parts..

hahhaa that EXACTLY what mine had last time it was on

exhaust is now louder, need to ring up and try and blag a full new exhaust.
then the other washer jet started leaking again (which was replaced one month before)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Rich said:
Really after the stories I have read on here and heard from other owners of ESP eqiupped cars, thought this would be wise on track.

Definitely not, gets in the way, stops you having fun, and will randomly grab at brakes if it thinks you're going off or putting to much power down (well, it did on the 182 Cup I drove at the last RS trackday there). Can be very hazardous on track when you're driving on the limit.

Having said that, I'm sure I read somewhere that the newer version allows a little more freedom to get the car moving about before it intervenes...time will tell...roll on 21 August :)

Focus ST
MarkCup said:
IMO straightline stats only tell half the story...from what Mr Townsend was saying...it's pretty sharp dynamically on-track.

I'm really looking forwards to giving one death at Brands in August...back to back with my Cup...should be quite interesting.

Let us/cliosport know when that will happen. Would like to see the outcome of that in person.....

Nissan 350Z
It has 4 main problems for me.

1. Its ugly... but heck it might grow on me
2. Its FAR too high... I've driven a lesser model Mk3, and it made the Mk2 feel like a sports coupe in comparison
3. Its FAR too expensive
4. Its too heavy.

However, I think the real world price will be lower - I just dont think people will pay that much for it, and when people arent buying it the price will come down.

The build quality will be higher - the Mk3 i drove clearly had better build quality than my 182.

The 6-speed box will be nice - its a pity the 182 didnt have this.

Although the handling on the mk3 i drove wasnt too great, it cornered with enthusiasm that belied its weight.

So we'll see...

E36 323i coupe
ukaskew said:
Well Renaultsport have hardly put a foot wrong.

Oh, I don't know. Their dealer network is rubbish, and I've never had a car EVER have to go into the garage so often for niggly silly little things, and some more major ones.

Granted: performance and handling of the 172 Cup was wonderful and I loved the car... but reliability was rubbish, customer service was rubbish, dealer assistance was rubbish, build quality was shoddy.

E36 323i coupe
Also if I see 197 bhp and the figures that go down on paper next to it aren't as impressive as a car with 172 bhp written next to it, what am I to think? Do I think:

(a) I know I'll go and spend £16k on something that costs THREE THOUSAND POUNDS more and doesn't perform as well?

or

(b) I have a brain - I'll go for the 172 bhp variant...

I'm sorry but Renault: wake up and remember that it's not just car fanatics and members of Cliosport that will buy this car!